Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45 | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45

As you said about Bruce mate.

So what is your suggestion now the manager you wanted is in need of a taxi?

I didn’t want Smith but I thought he would do better than this. He’s lost his swagger that he had when he first came and had started to make the same mistakes as Bruce.
I do question the recruitment in the transfer window but we don’t know if they were Smiths choice.

I know this goes against popular opinion on here, but I don't think Kodjia is being played to his strengths. He's been stuck on the wing and asked to run back and forwards putting a defensive shift in. It isn't his game and failing to do it makes him look lazy. Yes, I know he's selfish and only has one thought in his head when he's near goal but he's a player who can take on and beat defenders and create goals for himself. He did it before he was injured and he still looks capable of beating the player in front of him and getting a shot away now. Not much else seems to be working for us at the moment so why not try him in a 4-4-2 alongside Tammy? It's as much waste of time sticking him on the wing as it was to shove Paul Scholes out there when Sven was obsessed with playing Lampard and Gerrard together for England.
I'll put my tin hat on now and take cover.

Has it ?

How long have they been in the championship for ?

In the last 3 years they have changed managers regularly until they got the right one.
I would be happy if we got to their level.
There is nothing wrong with changing managers if things aren’t working. We stuck with Bruce for 2 years too long.

Dean smith would not play half of the players who he had to if he had a choice, he knows there shit and so do we. Hutton, Elhamdy, Taylor, whelan, hurry up, jedinak alone make up 25% of the first team squad and how many times will one of them make a mistake or just be inefective? Then the average age of these and the others all not signed by the man in charge. We are building for the future with a plan so let's be a bit more patient.

when smith first com you could see the change in style of football we looked much more attacking .we were scoring goal for fun BUT conceding far too many with a transfer window coming up and he knew where our problems lay but waited untill the last day of the window to make changes .most of our players are on a good wage a wage they wouldnt get elsewhere and if we got in the prem most you would hope would be moved on and better players bought in that means the over paid dollops of poo would end up at a smaller club for less money so why should they bust a gut to win promotion

Smith had an amazing recruitment team at Brentford / there is no guarantee he can replicate that here.

Looking at his signings in January, he looks to be struggling.

He looks lost to be honest, sorry but that’s what it looks like.

Spot on

Deano didnt sign the players. They have a transfer committee - which from what I can gather Smith only had a small amount of input
Maybe so, but he took those players and got them performing to the point where they were sold at a higher value. Surely we could have a transfer committee who don't just recruit 30 year old journeymen and players in rehab following injuries.

Don't know what people expect.

Most wouldn't play the vast majority of the team that played last night. Nor the bench.

Basically apart from 3 or 4 players most on here deride the whole squad

Doesn't leave Smith with a lot of options does it.

Leeds recruited the best manager they have had for many years. Leeds also had a pre season with the new manager.

Going back to formations, Brentford were set up as a 3-4-3; is that what Smith played there? It works as they play quick neat triangles around the opposition. When you think it was there 2 in the middle against our 3, it's poor we allowed this to happen and furthermore, we couldn't look after it ourselves when in possession. Also, Smith clearly has some nous how to use this squad (whether you permit if it is his or not; personally it isn't an excuse I buy), we wouldn't have performed so admirably at Derby and Boro otherwise.

Alas, this post probably leaves even more questions than answers, but if nothing else, was nice being on a terrace again...

No, their new manager changed their formation to 343 a couple of months ago, as they were on a terrible run of results. Since they've switched they are one of the form teams in the division.

Maybe so, but he took those players and got them performing to the point where they were sold at a higher value. Surely we could have a transfer committee who don't just recruit 30 year old journeymen and players in rehab following injuries.

We tried it before with Almstadt and Reilly. I'm sure most fans would be nervous going back to that model.