Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45 | Page 30 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45

So his recruitment at Walsall was all him? Left them in the play offs from memory? Playing a similar style to Brentford.

yo bro!!!!

This is my hope, tweeted out last night the negatives of the match but followed with the positive being Smith helped form that passing team we played and who dished out a lesson to our lot.

I know this goes against popular opinion on here, but I don't think Kodjia is being played to his strengths. He's been stuck on the wing and asked to run back and forwards putting a defensive shift in. It isn't his game and failing to do it makes him look lazy. Yes, I know he's selfish and only has one thought in his head when he's near goal but he's a player who can take on and beat defenders and create goals for himself. He did it before he was injured and he still looks capable of beating the player in front of him and getting a shot away now. Not much else seems to be working for us at the moment so why not try him in a 4-4-2 alongside Tammy? It's as much waste of time sticking him on the wing as it was to shove Paul Scholes out there when Sven was obsessed with playing Lampard and Gerrard together for England.
I'll put my tin hat on now and take cover.

Yup, said the same, he's not a winger, no way.

Trouble is, would you leave Tammy out to put Kodjia in his correct position? I'd not mind trying 2 up front mind you.

Trouble is, would you leave Tammy out to put Kodjia in his correct position? I'd not mind trying 2 up front mind you.

Tammy himself has said he prefers being wide and moving in, he's not a traditional front-man. I think Tammy and Kodj up front together could work. But not sure if that leaves a workable midfield setup.

Kodjia isn't playing well enough to start anywhere in my opinion and I'm not buying the "he's upset that he's not the main man" line that's occasionally wheeled out when he's rubbish. He's (understandably) not been anywhere near the same player since his injury.

Kodjia is being played out of position, McGinn is coming so deep to get the ball he can't do it all himself. Why have we stopped pressing the ball? If the big names aren't cutting it and DS is such a fan of youth why isn't he utilising them. Personally I thought the transfer window was terrible. I find it strange that Bruce got pelters for his after match interviews but DS can come out with the same statements every match and that's ok.

Last edited:
The window was disappointing as we didn’t get the midfielders we were trying for. Bruce’s deals tended to look better on paper until we actually saw them play. A price we are still paying. His better ones were loans but McGinn was excellent business.

I don't think we have a winger.

Green is better when he comes in from the wing.
El Ghazi to me would be better in JG's position.
Kodjia and Tammy like to come in from wide but again are no wingers.

Remember who we are, we are a club which won the European Cup, that's in our DNA, that's what we expect :wahey:

The reality that night was not what people chose to remember. We spent the whole match in a negative defensive mode where Bayern ran the show, and totally against the run of play we nicked it in the final few minutes. Bayern were robbed. Great football it was not.

Much the same as last night, in fact. In the final few minutes as Brentford tired we began to look the more likely to nick it. Unfortunately, Brentford did.

Smith made a realistic assessment of the threat posed by Brentford, and decided, rightly in my view, to go defensive. That was the plan. I thought it worked, the players remained concentrated and sweated their guts out, and Brentford hardly had a look in where it mattered. Until the goal where they nicked it.

Compare what our players can do compared to Brentford if you will. I'm fine with that; we are where we are. But it was not the awful performance some make out. Not a performance to remember, defensive performances never are. But we had a plan, a realistic plan, stuck to it, and it was pretty close to working.
Regarding our European cup final
Victory against Bayern,a football team is allowed to defend, especially when facing a team with world cup winners and German internationals.

Regarding our European cup final
Victory against Bayern,a football team is allowed to defend, especially when facing a team with world cup winners and German internationals.

Who cares, we concurred all of Europe in 1982 :yes::toot::cup::guiness::party:

We spent the whole match in a negative defensive mode where Bayern ran the show, and totally against the run of play we nicked it in the final few minutes. Bayern were robbed. Great football it was not.

Not sure the 67th minute counts as "the final few minutes" to be fair McP. And Bayern were hardly robbed - their all-star, German international superstars failed to score against a rookie goalkeeper. I know what you mean about negative defensive mode, but needs must and we rode our luck and got our reward.

The 4-3-3 currently being deployed clearly isn’t working. Off form wingers and weak midfield no creativity it’s getting tedious seeing the same thing match after match. Get 2 up top and try something else please. 4-4-2 I worry would leave us too weak in midfield, although based on recent performances wouldn’t make much difference but maybe a 3-5-2 might get the best of both worlds

I enjoyed last season, we had a style , a swagger , a purpose. We came very close.
This season has been pathetic . Really not enjoyable other than the smurf demolition job.

Not sure the 67th minute counts as "the final few minutes" to be fair McP. And Bayern were hardly robbed - their all-star, German international superstars failed to score against a rookie goalkeeper. I know what you mean about negative defensive mode, but needs must and we rode our luck and got our reward.
I agree jpa.peter Mac might remember our super cup final victory against Barcelona. They led from the first leg and made the mistake of mixing it with the likes of ken mcnaught,Alan Evans,des Brenner and Peter withe. Favourite memories of that tempestuous game sea Gordon cowans getting kicked up in the air by the Spanish keeper(he made Les sealey look like the Pope). Then Peter withe taking out the main Barcelona hatchet man with an astute use of his elbow setting up Gary Shaw to score. What a team,no real Madrid were the Villa boys but a team of grit and balls. Thanks sir Ronnie and Tony barton

I enjoyed last season, we had a style , a swagger , a purpose. We came very close.
This season has been pathetic . Really not enjoyable other than the smurf demolition job.

As did I but the whole thing was built on deceit by the owner. This season was never going to go well after the summer we had. I am just glad my Aston Villa is still here and we are still able to discuss and debate her finer points.

To me it looks like DS has his system and the players therefore need to suit. I trust in the summer he’ll get the players in to suit the system, because if I see the likes of Hutton, Taylor, Whelan, Hourihane & Adomah lining up in August in a 4-5-1 I’ll quickly lose faith.

To Fears point, I hope the manager has lost the players and DS is one of those good-stubborn managers where’s it’s his way or the high way.

But responsibility lies with DS to sort it out. I’m not the biggest fan of 4-5-1 (I refuse to call it 4-3-3) as I think we have the squad more suited to a 4-4-2.

Personally, I’d play a flat four in the middle now and either one in the hole or two up top. Our 5 man midfields’ ability to control a game is nil anyway currently so by going two up top you have more chance of holding it up, getting it down and then working balls into the box.

El Ghazi in the hole is worth an experiment, but Kodjia or Davis up top with Tammy is the most obvious thing to try. I guess this is where I trust in DS to persist with his style but it needs to pay off in the medium term.

We give our central midfielders a freebee with three in the middle, instead of dominating they seem to go the other way. With another player up top and down the middle, there’s a better up there to aim for.

Kodjia is being played out of position, McGinn is coming so deep to get the ball he can't do it all himself. Why have we stopped pressing the ball? If the big names aren't cutting it and DS is such a fan of youth why isn't he utilising them. Personally I thought the transfer window was terrible. I find it strange that Bruce got pelters for his after match interviews but DS can come out with the same statements every match and that's ok.

Bruce was coming out with shite for far longer mate that's why, Smith has only started talking shite since Jack got injured and things have gone tits up