Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45 | Page 26 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45

Will we have the financial muscle, FFP wriggle room, and be able to attract decent players after a 4th/5th/6th year in this division?

I think we were primed to go up this season and then make the most of our owners bank balances in the big league, but Smith is making a right royal balls up of it.

I do understand this argument and don’t get me wrong I want to get back up there but at the moment if we were to sneak in the play offs I don’t think we are primed at all. Wolves were. We would have to have a bloody good summer to obtain mid table mediocrity in the prem next season

Will we have the financial muscle, FFP wriggle room, and be able to attract decent players after a 4th/5th/6th year in this division?

I think we were primed to go up this season and then make the most of our owners bank balances in the big league, but Smith is making a right royal balls up of it.

You don't think the squad he was left with is the problem then Deano ?

The core of this squad finished 4th last season and came within 1 game from getting promoted. We are playing shit presently but they haven't all suddenly become bad players over the last 2 months.
If Deano doesn't have the players to play the style he wants to, then try playing a different way until he can get his own men in during the Summer. Is he another guy who will get the no plan B tag thrown at him this time next year?

The core of this squad finished 4th last season and came within 1 game from getting promoted. We are playing shit presently but they haven't all suddenly become bad players over the last 2 months.
If Deano doesn't have the players to play the style he wants to, then try playing a different way until he can get his own men in during the Summer. Is he another guy who will get the no plan B tag thrown at him this time next year?

But we lost the loan players plus Terry which meant we had to start again. We are built on pillars of sand and until that changes we will never succeed.

Can we bring in ten new players in the Summer? All fast and powerful plus able to pass and move?

These unknowns like Brentford can find - would be lovely but do we have this at the Villa?

If I had my way then Hutton, Elphick, Jedinak, whelan, lansbury, Bjarnason,Nyland, Adomah, Kodjia, Taylor, Hogan, Elmo, hourihane and Bunn would all be fucked off to whoever will take them in the summer.

Add to that the likelihood that Tammy, Axel, El Ghazi, hause and Carroll will go back to their parent clubs. So that's 19 players who'd I'd either get rid of or lose, plus unfortunately Jack makes 20. And seeing as we'll have a load of loanees coming back who bar a few will be sold or loaned out again that will mean even more going out. 10 sounds about right.

But we lost the loan players plus Terry which meant we had to start again. We are built on pillars of sand and until that changes we will never succeed.

JT & Snoddy were 2 big losses that we didnt replace, they were leaders on the pitch as much as anything. Every club challenging for promotion in this league loans players from the PL or Portugal in Wolves case. Without Tammy this season we would be flirting with relegation

Yes but of the really important players in that team all we were left with was Jack, hourihane and Adomah. Now Jack is obviously our most important player but the other 2 have been poor, Adomah especially these last 11 months or so. Johnston, Terry, snoddy, Grabban who all contributed massively were all loanees or on short term deal that we knew we couldn't get back unless we went up. As sirdennis rightly says, built on pillars of sand.

Johnstone & Grabban have also been sorely missed

Yes, Johnstone would have been better than Nyland but I'm not so sure he would have been as good as last season with the way our defence has been playing.
Grabban gave us the chance to move up the pitch, he holds the ball up so well. But he wouldnt be playing with the form Tammy is in.

A lot of Brentford lads in the pub reckoned Smith had very little impact compared to how Warburton had them playing.

They may have just been winding us up as Smith left them, but looking at us lately questions are surely going to be asked.

We are not even able to do the basics from what i can see.

I can only assume Jacks hair product was keeping us alert before games, half of them look half asleep.

The Brentford sides that Smith managed against us played us off the park , so I reckon they were on the wind up.

Smith should be getting more out of these players I don't think anyone can argue that.

2 wins in 12!!! That's shocking!

If Smith needs 'a certain type' of player and can't work with the good footballers at his disposal, maybe he's not actually a very good manager?

They did get to the play offs under Warburton but that was just after they'd been promoted and they were under the radar somewhat. In smiths time it seemed that every transfer window they'd lose one or two of their best players and have to do a rebuild.

No, not really. I think its a decent squad and I think we'd be in the top 6 now if Bruce had stayed.

Just my opinion. I know it'll be an unpopular one.

I honestly think we'd be closer to the bottom 6 than the top 6 Deano. Again just my my opinion. The man had lost it completely.

No, not really. I think its a decent squad and I think we'd be in the top 6 now if Bruce had stayed.

Just my opinion. I know it'll be an unpopular one.

Really ? With Super Jack and Axel injured.

I honestly think we would be in about the same place , given how unbalanced the squad is and the injuries we have suffered.

Bruce has said himself since starting at Wednesday that he needed time off for himself and his family. He also had a couple of operations which is why he didn’t start until Feb.

We may have won 2 in 12 but what was it at the point when Bruce was sacked when we were sitting in 18th place with a squad he had built.

I really can’t see sense in this opinion we were better and would have been better with Bruce still here. I think people are forgetting how bad it had become.

We worked out afterwards that only 4 of that starting XI could be with us next season (Adomah, Hourihane, Kalinic & McGinn).

The squad is inevitably going to face an overhaul. The issue is will we replace those departing with genuine better players who can cope playing for AVFC.

Loans ending: Abraham, Carroll, El Ghazi, Hause, Mings & Tuanzebe.
Out of contract: Bunn, De Laet, Elphick, Hutton, Jedinak, Lyden, Richards, Steer & Whelan (plus Blackett-Taylor, Clark, McKirdy, Mooney, O'Hare & Suliman).

Regarding the game, it was just so insipid. As much as Hause looked like a rabbit in headlights (particularly first half) and Hutton demonstrating last season was the exception rather than the norm, I felt the diamond of Kalinic, Elphick, Mings and Whelan did well considering the onslaught of pressure we faced.

People say it was McGinn's worse game; I thought he was off it last Friday more. Last night he did pick the ball up and drive on occasions. What lets him down is his distribution, particularly in the final third where all too often he makes the wrong decision.

My current concern is how we change things. Smith is reverting to MO'N times when the starting XI was predictable and we made one change all game (Heskey for Carew at 80mins), in that around the hour mark both wingers get replaced. Actually, one of our most productive spells in the game was the 5-10mins at the end when Kodjia actually got to play up top and we went 4-4-2. Alas, I imagine the legs don't exist in midfield to do this from the off.

Regarding the wingers, a friend was spot on pre-match. The way you go into a club and look to appear attacking and no longer defensive is to push your wingers higher. That's what Smith did and we reaped the rewards. The problem now is club's know this, get in behind them and the poor full-backs are exposed. Even then, El Ghazi last night twice gave the ball away in our third, showed no effort to recover it and subsequently received rightful bollockings from Elphick (first half; he ignored McGinn) and Mings (second half).

Going back to formations, Brentford were set up as a 3-4-3; is that what Smith played there? It works as they play quick neat triangles around the opposition. When you think it was there 2 in the middle against our 3, it's poor we allowed this to happen and furthermore, we couldn't look after it ourselves when in possession. Also, Smith clearly has some nous how to use this squad (whether you permit if it is his or not; personally it isn't an excuse I buy), we wouldn't have performed so admirably at Derby and Boro otherwise.

Alas, this post probably leaves even more questions than answers, but if nothing else, was nice being on a terrace again...

of the current and three former villa managers plying their trade in the championship it'll be interesting who finishes highest - I think we can be certain which one will be last obv.

If Bruce had stayed we would still have been dismal, we'd have needed just a bit more luck with injuries, another couple of transfer windows, preseasons etc, etc
Prob would have been there or thereabouts tho.

We should be improving if the (or any ) manager is any cop.
We can't always be waiting for the next transfer window & loanee to arrive.
If we aren't looking much better by the end of the season then it's 10 odd games into the next before the next manager rolls up