Hugo's Howlers | Page 23 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

It was asking for trouble not replacing Vorm as it was Trippier and Llorente. There is a pattern emerging.....why ?

We were leaking goals with Lloris, imagine what it will be like now. Gazza needs protecting and both our top CBs are past it. A new defensive strategy is imperative. It's going to be ugly, the only other option is to just try and score prolifically and that's not happening right now.

Vorm currently a free agent I believe so could re-sign as backup... I'd rather Alfie Whiteman or whoever from the academy is our backup than bringing Vorm back personally, he was well past his best hence Gaza taking his spot.

Gaz has in some games been very good - there was even a call for him to replace Hugo not too long ago from some, I always said we hadn't seen enough of him to consider him good enough to be no.1. He then went on to have a couple of dodgy games and now consensus is he's not even good enough to be backup keeper... but I'm of the opinion that unless a keeper is given a proper run you can't really tell whether they'll step up.

He's been a good shot stopper and has better distribution than Hugo, although obviously nowhere near Ederson level. Perhaps not good enough to be a long term successor, but maybe between now and Jan he'll show his qualities for that to be considered.

As for Hugo's latest howler... I also have no clue what he was doing. I did see some chap on FB who said he used to be a keeper who seemed to sympathize with it being awkward... I guess if Hugo hadn't have landed so badly he might have sprung back on the ball before the striker got there.

Absolute freak injury though, feel very sorry for the bloke. As angry as I was at the time when the ball went in he's been a very loyal servant to the club for years. When he joined he was probably too good for our level, now we've caught up and he's probably regressed\. If this is the end of him as Spurs no.1 it's a very sad end to a tenure of probably the best goalkeeper in my Spurs supporting lifetime. Can only hope our next number 1 has as high a ceiling in ability, but is perhaps less prone to brain farts once he nears/passes 30.
Great post Freund . Just about says it all perfectly .

I'd like Lewis to realise you really don't get to take it with and pay 75m to Athleti for Oblak...Yeah I know right???

Don , this is exactly the sort of move we should be taking . It’s not the sort of time where we should be buying a young keeper to “bring on”,( by all means still make that sort of signing ), but if we have any sort of aspirations of being a top team , we need a top class keeper immediately. If it puts Hugo’s nose out of joint , alongside his elbow , then so be it .
We have to stop namby pambying around .
The time has to come to keep up with the rest and not hope that they will come back to our level .
Pep has identified that walker needs replacing and has acted before it’s too late.
I had actually forgotten the head injury and I’m sure you are right about something not being the same since . He is still a good keeper but not the great keeper he once was .

Just saw a stat that Hugo has made more mistakes leading to a goal than any GK or out field player since 2016.

That is a really poor stat.

Complacency.

We need a new number 1 and us taking the cheap option isn't going to cut it.

Yep, I saw that as well RD, no surprise really as the frequency of these errors is what lead me to start this thread up !

It's sad Chiv but his time is up as number 1.

In the rebuild we must sign a new number 1.

New manager

GK, RB, CB, CB, DM, ST. 6 new players needed. No more excuses.
If we do exactly what I and I alone say we will be ok.

Oblak, Atal,Skriniar,Umtitti,Philip's, Muriqi

Yep, I saw that as well RD, no surprise really as the frequency of these errors is what lead me to start this thread up !
I bet it’s the safest bet in football , that no other team has a forum thread that contains TWENTYTHREE pages on the mistakes that their top class goalkeeper makes on a regular basis , for his club and country .
The statistics above and the other comments in this thread alone are laughable really .
What other club would put itself in this position , especially with a backup keeper with no pedigree. Only at Tottenham

It's sad Chiv but his time is up as number 1.

In the rebuild we must sign a new number 1.

New manager

GK, RB, CB, CB, DM, ST. 6 new players needed. No more excuses.

250 mill would pay out Poch and fill the other 6 roles. Do nothing, and we just might avoid relegation and lose what ever decent players we have left.

I think it's a case of needing an experienced keeper as back up to Gazza who is a free agent. How many around fitting that bill ?

So we have a flapper and someone who stays on the line

Excellent

We could have spent more money but it's no guarantee of success....no but its tempting failure by leaving yourself exposed. An ageing keeper on the decline backed up by a third rate no mark, surely that's begging for a signing to replace a departing second rate keeper?

Anyone know where or if Vorm has been training . He could be like the Sutton keeper. Searching for the pies !
Seriously , is he fit and ready ? Is he the only choice . Surely there must be other choices ?

Anyone know where or if Vorm has been training . He could be like the Sutton keeper. Searching for the pies !
Seriously , is he fit and ready ? Is he the only choice . Surely there must be other choices ?

Out of contract free agent experienced PL keepers , I would have to check . Vorm knows our coaches and players. I feel more secure now with him than without.