Hugo's Howlers | Page 22 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

They need to work with him over summer to cut out these silly mistakes, I would still stick with him for another season.

Well done Hugo. He has learnt how to save pens at last. Seriously credit to him.

His pen saving stats were always comparable to other top keepers, he didn't save that many but nor do any keepers really. Odds are heavily with the penalty taker every time.

From what I can see he had a 17% save rate before 2019 across his career. He now has a 21% save rate thanks to the last 3. I don't think his 100% record in 2019 will carry on for long though lol

Fair play to him, looked a lot better in general as well.

Lets hope the stick he's been getting has fired him up a bit.

They need to work with him over summer to cut out these silly mistakes, I would still stick with him for another season.

Can't see us getting better. We do need a new number 2 to push him though. We don't not have that guy at the club at present.

We need to get one of them keepers that have have never done anything , that I’ve ever heard of , until they play us . They have this world class talent inside them that only shows when they play Tottenham.

I still don’t understand Hugo’s injury . What exactly was he doing ? He wasn’t under pressure , the ball was just floating towards him . He could have tipped it over the bar with no problem or even just caught it . It looked to me as if he only saw the ball at the last second and then realised it was his job to deal with it . Why jump as he did with his momentum taking him into the goal and just drop the ball on the goal line ! It’s totally bizarre .
As blunders go it’s up there with his best , or worst, and to compound it with a serious injury is beyond comprehension.
Only at Tottenham.
But the question remains for me ....... what the fuck did he think he was doing ?

Think hes gone for the season NRD, saw his injury online last night,pretty Horrific..
Thereby lies the problem Vinnie , if he is out for some time , which quite obviously he will be , we cannot rely on Gazza and an untried , no experience keeper as back up . We simply have to bring in a replacement as soon as possible .
There is also no knowing how he will recover from this injury .
I would imagine his confidence was shot on Saturday , before the incident . Will he be given time to get it back , even when fit again , before putting him in the first team again .
Are we allowed to bring in an out of contract , free agent player . ?

Only at Tottenham !

Thereby lies the problem Vinnie , if he is out for some time , which quite obviously he will be , we cannot rely on Gazza and an untried , no experience keeper as back up . We simply have to bring in a replacement as soon as possible .
There is also no knowing how he will recover from this injury .
I would imagine his confidence was shot on Saturday , before the incident . Will he be given time to get it back , even when fit again , before putting him in the first team again .
Are we allowed to bring in an out of contract , free agent player . ?

Only at Tottenham !

Is Vorm a free agent or did he sign for a team ?

Won’t be needing surgery apparently but out until January . Now that is a howler . Do we take a chance and not get another keeper as soon as possible . I know what I would do . Get another keeper on Jan 1 st .,

He is not the same keeper since the head injury in my honest opinion he is gun shy. Afraid of getting hurt which always makes that MORE likely. He rarely sweeps up like he used to he is a liability and this is the opportunity to find an upgrade. Help Hugo back to fitness as number two then with our love move him on with the culled heard in summer. As the Chinese say in every crisis an opportunity.

Well there is nothing we won't know about Gazza in these next 3 months. He divides opinion at the moment.

Seems a shame that Lloris is being written off at 32 though. I would have thought he can still find pretty high levels at that age. Be great to see a younger guy like Gunn get bought now though.

Vorm currently a free agent I believe so could re-sign as backup... I'd rather Alfie Whiteman or whoever from the academy is our backup than bringing Vorm back personally, he was well past his best hence Gaza taking his spot.

Gaz has in some games been very good - there was even a call for him to replace Hugo not too long ago from some, I always said we hadn't seen enough of him to consider him good enough to be no.1. He then went on to have a couple of dodgy games and now consensus is he's not even good enough to be backup keeper... but I'm of the opinion that unless a keeper is given a proper run you can't really tell whether they'll step up.

He's been a good shot stopper and has better distribution than Hugo, although obviously nowhere near Ederson level. Perhaps not good enough to be a long term successor, but maybe between now and Jan he'll show his qualities for that to be considered.

As for Hugo's latest howler... I also have no clue what he was doing. I did see some chap on FB who said he used to be a keeper who seemed to sympathize with it being awkward... I guess if Hugo hadn't have landed so badly he might have sprung back on the ball before the striker got there.

Absolute freak injury though, feel very sorry for the bloke. As angry as I was at the time when the ball went in he's been a very loyal servant to the club for years. When he joined he was probably too good for our level, now we've caught up and he's probably regressed\. If this is the end of him as Spurs no.1 it's a very sad end to a tenure of probably the best goalkeeper in my Spurs supporting lifetime. Can only hope our next number 1 has as high a ceiling in ability, but is perhaps less prone to brain farts once he nears/passes 30.