Hugo's Howlers | Page 25 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

Outstanding? Not for me. He could have done better for Hendersons goal, didn't make a dive for the penalty and didn't move for the Tousun goal.

I'm all for giving him some credit as he has done well under hard circumstances. But some realism has to be made. He is miles off the top keepers.

He will get a whole season now.

Remember winning a title is the aim and he is not yet the level required for that. I see potentially a Europa league level at the moment. Which is a massive turn around in itself.

Outstanding? Not for me. He could have done better for Hendersons goal, didn't make a dive for the penalty and didn't move for the Tousun goal.

I'm all for giving him some credit as he has done well under hard circumstances. But some realism has to be made. He is miles off the top keepers.

He will get a whole season now.

Remember winning a title is the aim and he is not yet the level required for that. I see potentially a Europa league level at the moment. Which is a massive turn around in itself.

I'd be very happy with winning the Europa. In fact, I'd take anything so that Poch breaks his duck.

A damning report by Sky Sports shows Hugo is indeed king of the howlers. He has more errors leading to goals than any other at 18 since 2012/13. He also has more mistakes against the top six clubs than any other keeper at × 3 as that at lesser clubs.

One saving grace......he has saved 33 shots or attempts at goal that he wasnt expected to.

Vindication that this thread was worthy of its inception ( not by me I hasten to add ). Although I have been a frequent contributor. Having said this I would rather have him than Gazza !!

actually the Sky report on Lloris is balanced in its' assessment not condemning, and concludes:

"It might then come as a surprise to some that there is no goalkeeper in the Premier League who has saved his team more goals since Opta began collecting their expected-goals data in 2013. Lloris not only stops the shots that other goalkeepers do not, the analysis reveals that he has done so consistently throughout his long Premier League career".

it's a really good read that somewhat undermines the assumption of this thread.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ttenham-is-he-underrated-the-stats-suggest-so

As much as I rate Hugo imo the best GK we have had in the Premier league era, he has been on the decline for a long time now.

This brush it under the carpet mentality from the club must change.

We need the next best up and coming GK.

If that means spending 40m so be it.

Hugo has another 2 years on his contract. He will 35 when his deal runs out.

I bet we sit on this for another year.

actually the Sky report on Lloris is balanced in its' assessment not condemning, and concludes:

"It might then come as a surprise to some that there is no goalkeeper in the Premier League who has saved his team more goals since Opta began collecting their expected-goals data in 2013. Lloris not only stops the shots that other goalkeepers do not, the analysis reveals that he has done so consistently throughout his long Premier League career".

it's a really good read that somewhat undermines the assumption of this thread.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ttenham-is-he-underrated-the-stats-suggest-so

Suggesting Hugo has saved us points because he made saves other keepers wouldn't or made saves he wasnt expected to is a bit vague or woolly for me . 9 of his errors out of 18 that cost us goals were against top 6 teams is the stat that concerns me.

A fair point although his top 6 errors over his lesser error rate against lower teams is a trend, not a total.

Was a genuine question as much as a point.

If I were to make a point it's that stats while helpful can often be skewed to make an argument.

Someone, perhaps even you, a while back was banging on about how poor Hugo's pen save rate was and used it as a reason to say he wasn't a top keeper. I pointed out that it was very slim amount of data that was being used and if he saved the next 1-2 he'd be up near the top of the charts. He went on to save a handful and I'd imagine that stat reads completely differently now, I've heard some call him the best penalty saver in the league.

I've not read the sky article. We all know Hugo has made a lot of mistakes, some all of his own doing, some due to Poch's insistence to play it out from the back and some perhaps due to poor communication with a regularly changing back 4. He does appear to be in decline and we need better than Gazza and Vorm as backup anyway, but I'm hoping with a more settled defence and less playing out from the back the decline will be less evident.

When a pen was awarded against us with Hugo in goal for some time the outcome was very predictable. Maybe he has worked on his technique or method.

Was a genuine question as much as a point.

If I were to make a point it's that stats while helpful can often be skewed to make an argument.

Someone, perhaps even you, a while back was banging on about how poor Hugo's pen save rate was and used it as a reason to say he wasn't a top keeper. I pointed out that it was very slim amount of data that was being used and if he saved the next 1-2 he'd be up near the top of the charts. He went on to save a handful and I'd imagine that stat reads completely differently now, I've heard some call him the best penalty saver in the league.

I've not read the sky article. We all know Hugo has made a lot of mistakes, some all of his own doing, some due to Poch's insistence to play it out from the back and some perhaps due to poor communication with a regularly changing back 4. He does appear to be in decline and we need better than Gazza and Vorm as backup anyway, but I'm hoping with a more settled defence and less playing out from the back the decline will be less evident.

Hugo was at his best, as you say, when we had a consistent lineup. there is no reason to believe he can't hit those levels again with Jose's consistent lineup.

I am not his biggest fan tbh. He has altered his game since he was caught out a few times with his sweeper keeper act which cost us a few times. That in turn caused him to start doubting himself and you can see he isn’t the 100% confident keeper you want at times.

However, I can’t deny having him back has made me feel better about our defending. If he gets back to his best then fantastic but we need to give him some proper competition. That lad who is struggling at Chelsie would do for £30m.

Semi howler for Villas first goal. Indecision left Toby in trouble. Just logging it for the record !!

Did you also log it in the Davies thread? Too tight, getting turned and insufficient pace to recover. That's probably the biggest cause of the goal despite Davies playing very well.

Did you also log it in the Davies thread? Too tight, getting turned and insufficient pace to recover. That's probably the biggest cause of the goal despite Davies playing very well.

I have drawn attention twice to Davies failing to stop the cross in. It was a semi howler as not completely Hugo's fault but his indecision was visible contrary to that of Reina !!

The Davies thread is not a specific Howler one, which this is because a few if us noticed Hugo was making a few. I dont rate Davies very highly, he is a bit average LB wise.