Hugo's Howlers | Page 15 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

I watched Liverpool v City , City insisted on playing out from the back. Liverpool repeatedly won the ball in City's half through pressing high and cutting off the out ball. I'm not sure it's working as a tactic .

Good spot. Its a weird fashionable obsession.

Hugo has always been a "good" keeper. To be a great keeper you have to be a good footballer, which Hugo will never be. You also have to keep your team in the game and produce saves that good keepers would struggle to pull off and minimize your mistakes. Mix things up to create chances rather than playing out from the back each time.
Whilst capable of great saves, Hugo has too many mistakes in each game to ever be a great or world class keeper IMO and is nowhere near as good with his feet as he should be.

I prefer the controlled keeper clearance to the halfway line or just beyond. Not the full blooded hoof up to the opponents box. I guess mixing it up is the answer, to keep the other side confused as to how to defend. Doing the same thing each time is telegraphing our play.

Lost count of the number of points Lloris has single handedly made us over the years. For me, best keeper since Clemence by an absolute mile. Shame on Spurs for not giving him proper competition for his shirt.

No doubt, he's having a wobble at the moment but my guess is he'll be back to his very best soon. It's almost laughable to think that Gazza or Butland are being mentioned as being better than him.

Lloris just needs his manager to tell him to get his head down and get ready for the next 5 years as Spurs and France captain and number 1. Lloris is a Spurs legend in the making

Lost count of the number of points Lloris has single handedly made us over the years. For me, best keeper since Clemence by an absolute mile. Shame on Spurs for not giving him proper competition for his shirt.

No doubt, he's having a wobble at the moment but my guess is he'll be back to his very best soon. It's almost laughable to think that Gazza or Butland are being mentioned as being better than him.

Lloris just needs his manager to tell him to get his head down and get ready for the next 5 years as Spurs and France captain and number 1. Lloris is a Spurs legend in the making

Him never having any real competition is certainly a big reason why his form over the last two years has been iffy. Players become complacent.

He isn't the only one. Alli and Eriksen have certainly had their fair share of poor form periods due to not having any real competition.

It's a club problem, which has never been resolved in Poch's 5 years here.

It may be complacency but on their wages it shouldn't be a factor. With Hugo it seems to be decision making and that is a split second moment. I would be surprised if he would make worse decisions because he hasn't got Vorm breathing down his neck. It's like....oh shite this save is going to be hard, I'll just stay on my line, they ain't gonna drop me for Vorm !!

Agree it shouldn't but sadly it is. In sports to be at your best you need real competition.

That is why Walker and Rose were in such good form a few seasons back. They knew they had some actual competition for their places.

Didnt see your Post Chris so I cant comment on it, It would be interesting to see why your post was deleted Mate,can you give me heads up about what it was..
Hi Vinnie basically all I said was that someone obviously knew nothing about goalkeeping even though they keep on spouting off about it, and I also told them that they should watch the whole of the game as you can't make a decision on a player's performance based on 10 to 125 minutes of tv highlights.
That was it.
There was no swearing, threats, bad mouthing, name calling, or anything like that, so how someone can say I was "having a go" is beyond me.

It may be complacency but on their wages it shouldn't be a factor. With Hugo it seems to be decision making and that is a split second moment. I would be surprised if he would make worse decisions because he hasn't got Vorm breathing down his neck. It's like....oh shite this save is going to be hard, I'll just stay on my line, they ain't gonna drop me for Vorm !!
What I noticed about Hugo is that his game just hasn't been the same since he was knocked out with the head injury, He seems to have lost an edge that he had back then before the injury.
If that is the case I can see where he is coming from as I had a similar injury years ago playing, but I was able to put it behind me after a couple of months or so, and go diving in with the same aplomb as I did before the injury. Obviously I don't know how badly it affected him at the time, but that injury could still be there subconsciously lurking there at the back of his mind , after all it is his livelyhood, whereas it wasn't mine, I had a trade to fall back on if I had to give up.
And the greater part of playing at the top of one's game is after all psychological.

Last edited:

There is no way I am saying Butland should be our number one, what I am saying is that we should have bought him as he would have pushed Lloris far more than Vorm has done, and we could have loaned him out when we got him, then bring him in as number 2 to keep Lloris on his toes and playing him in cup games and such like.
I don't think Lloris is a legend in the making he is far too error prone and will never be on the same level as Pat Jennings who I used to watch on a regular basis who IS a real Spurs legend. and to be the best 'keeper since Clements isn't that hard considering who we've had playing between the sticks for us.

Last edited:
Again I'm not sure Butland at his age would want to come and sit on the bench, he needed to be playing.

Butland has a mentality problem. Last season was an eye opener for many. The pressure was on him as he was fighting for an England spot. He was clearly feeling the pressure and made a lot of mistakes. He isn't good enough for us yet. He has the ability though.

Also depends whether you want a ball playing goal-keeper. Right now. Lloris is feeling the pressure of the new keepers like Ederson, Allison and Kepa stroking the ball around at the back. In reality, Lloris or De Gea aren't as technically gifted but are fantastic keepers at the other stuff.

The bigger problem is that the coaching staff at Spurs let Lloris, Vorm and Gazza get away with overplaying it and putting us under pressure. The coaches need to relieve the pressure on the 3 keepers by making it more acceptable to get the ball on Kane's head further up the pitch. Then they can start to play within themselves again.

Butland is no different. Can kick the ball comfortably with either feet from what I saw of him live. Doesn't have the finesse for the intricate stuff though and hasn't needed it at Stoke either.

Hi Vinnie basically all I said was that someone obviously knew nothing about goalkeeping even though they keep on spouting off about it, and I also told them that they should watch the whole of the game as you can't make a decision on a player's performance based on 10 to 125 minutes of tv highlights.
That was it.
There was no swearing, threats, bad mouthing, name calling, or anything like that, so how someone can say I was "having a go" is beyond me.
Cheers Mate,don't see to much wrong with that TBH.

Cheers Mate,don't see to much wrong with that TBH.

You don't think it's rude to tell someone they have insufficient knowledge to comment and accuse them of not watching a whole match when they did.? It's aggressive and factually wrong which is why he got pulled up over it. I would think if he doesn't take note of the warning he runs the risk to get further warnings or banned.

If I told you, you had no knowledge on football so why are you getting involved and you don't watch full matches....how would you feel. ?

You don't think it's rude to tell someone they have insufficient knowledge to comment and accuse them of not watching a whole match when they did.? It's aggressive and factually wrong which is why he got pulled up over it. I would think if he doesn't take note of the warning he runs the risk to get further warnings or banned.

If I told you, you had no knowledge on football so why are you getting involved and you don't watch full matches....how would you feel. ?
Im not taking sides here.As I said earlier,I didn't see the chaps thread,that's why I asked him to explain so I can only go by what he told me. And to be honest there has been a lot worse said,poster to poster, on here.

Im not taking sides here.As I said earlier,I didn't see the chaps thread,that's why I asked him to explain so I can only go by what he told me. And to be honest there has been a lot worse said,poster to poster, on here.

There has been worse but there is an effort to cut out personal insults by the mods plus I ain't the type to take it on the chin. My views on the keeping performance were backed up by top professionals and I watched the whole game so I considered my comments valid.