Hugo's Howlers | Page 13 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

Out of our stars he would be the one I could deal with losing.

Would you sell Hugo and get in Butland?

Out of our stars he would be the one I could deal with losing.

Would you sell Hugo and get in Butland?

I probably wouldn't, but can see where you're coming from - Hugo is so embedded in our defence now that I think selling him would be a mistake - no question Butland has huge potential, but he also made some dreadful mistakes for Stoke.

That said, I actually thought he'd end up Englands no.1 not pickford.

Got to be recorded. Put us under real pressure from the off. Giving a goal start to Barca, possibly his biggest howler of all.

Easy to say now but he shouldn't have started anyway, I'm certain Gazza wouldn't have done that and Lloris done nothing else special that Gazza couldn't have done.

Easy to say now but he shouldn't have started anyway, I'm certain Gazza wouldn't have done that and Lloris done nothing else special that Gazza couldn't have done.

I wonder if Poch will bite the bullet and give Gaza a chance to compete for the no.1. spot?

Perhaps, Poch needs to be brave.

I said ages ago we should have bought Butland when we could get him to push Lloris, I also feel that if we had, then Butland would be our number one 'keeper by now.

Maybe Gazza can make that grade - it certainly looks like he could end up being a top class keeper?
Yes I agree on that, I think he can become a top class 'keeper, but the problem I see is will Poch give him the chances or will Vorm be back as second 'keeper.
I really do hope that Gazza starts to play in the cup games. I felt before the game last night that he should have played and that playing Lloris was a gamble on Poch's part to try and put Barca off by bringing back our number one 'keeper. I think it was a matter of bringing him back before he was ready and imho it showed last night. I also feel that a fit Gazza would have made the saves that a partially fit and ready Lloris couldn't.

Yes I agree on that, I think he can become a top class 'keeper, but the problem I see is will Poch give him the chances or will Vorm be back as second 'keeper.
I really do hope that Gazza starts to play in the cup games. I felt before the game last night that he should have played and that playing Lloris was a gamble on Poch's part to try and put Barca off by bringing back our number one 'keeper. I think it was a matter of bringing him back before he was ready and imho it showed last night. I also feel that a fit Gazza would have made the saves that a partially fit and ready Lloris couldn't.

No keeper was saving the volley off the post. The last goal was effectively Messi on Lloris centre of goal, pretty much back Messi against any keeper on that.

How things have changed. We spent 2 years worrying that Barca would nick Lloris off us. Now he's apparently not good enough to be our goalie against them.

No doubt, he did have a bad day at the office.

Worth remembering that all 3 keepers have kicked badly this season. They are all trying to be too intricate in our defensive third. It comes from the training ground. It is whats is being drilled into them by the coaches. We could stick the 2-footed Butland in goal and he would start playing the way he does now and within a year we'd be saying the same thing. Poch needs to be answerable, just like with the full-backs.

I keep wondering why we have a thread tracking the mistakes of only one player. Some posters' obsession with Lloris has surpassed the flack Lamela is getting around here.

How things have changed. We spent 2 years worrying that Barca would nick Lloris off us. Now he's apparently not good enough to be our goalie against them.

No doubt, he did have a bad day at the office.

Worth remembering that all 3 keepers have kicked badly this season. They are all trying to be too intricate in our defensive third. It comes from the training ground. It is whats is being drilled into them by the coaches. We could stick the 2-footed Butland in goal and he would start playing the way he does now and within a year we'd be saying the same thing. Poch needs to be answerable, just like with the full-backs.

100%. Our defensive unit as a whole is dysfunctional, there is a system failure that has to be addressed asap.

Would Butland had come, not sure he would have.
At least we could have tried and got him for a song then did what Stoke did, lent him out. He only became an established prem 'keeper in 2015/16 season, so there was plenty of scope to sign and loan.