Hugo's Howlers | Page 17 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

The Standard have taken two sentences from an interview with French broadcaster Telefoot and printed them without any substance or qualification .
Are you going to retire at Tottenham .?.........." I don't think so "
Nothing else .
Shameless really .

Nice is his hometown club . It's obvious he could , and probably will , see out the rest of his contract here where he fully buys into the project with Poch , then leave with his head held high and his standing with Tottenham up there with the all time greats .to say his heart is not with Tottenham is just plain wrong
Seeing out the last of his competitive games with Nice would be a natural conclusion to a great career .
The Standard should be ashamed of itself ,which of course , it's not .
Schoolboy journalism at its best

I have avoided criticism of Lloris but I now believe Poch needs to start looking for real competition for Hugo, he's having too many brain farts for me.
This maybe an appropriate time to point out that I noticed Butland changed agents last week and went out of his way to say that they represented some of tge best players and that he wanted to play at the top few clubs in the EPL. It felt weirdly public and very come get me. It made me wonder if we'd had feelers. Anyone hear anyting? For the record not my first choice but hes better than vorm and Gaza and right now ... near loris. Good number 2 imho

I think too many of Spurs fans put Hugo on a pedestal. I've always said he's a good keeper, but not a brilliant one. A good keeper will make some awesome saves and win his team games. after all, that's his role.

However, a good keeper will also make some howlers and cost his team points. That's Mr Hugo Lloris for you. A good keeper, nothing more.

Not sure why Poch played Vorm after Hugo's red. Not sure why he took off Moura and not Dembo? (having said that I don't blame Vorm for not saving that goal).

Just not sure about anything Poch does these days.

I think too many of Spurs fans put Hugo on a pedestal. I've always said he's a good keeper, but not a brilliant one. A good keeper will make some awesome saves and win his team games. after all, that's his role.

However, a good keeper will also make some howlers and cost his team points. That's Mr Hugo Lloris for you. A good keeper, nothing more.

Not sure why Poch played Vorm after Hugo's red. Not sure why he took off Moura and not Dembo? (having said that I don't blame Vorm for not saving that goal).

Just not sure about anything Poch does these days.
10. Bit baffled here mate . Who would you have put in goal after Lloris had been sent off ? Harry ?
Dembo did go off for Winksy as well.
Sadly ,I agreeing with you on Hugo atm

Last edited:
Anyone got any answers for Lloris 's baffling behaviour . Twice now in CL he has a brainstorm that costs us dearly .
Plays really poorly one game in PL ,then turns out a MOM performance in another . Must be driving Poch crazy .
Can't see how he can be trusted in the upcoming vital games now. What a dilemma . Haven't got much time to get back to the drawing board .
As I am typing this ,my wife has just said it sounds like he is a good keeper ,but not a good footballer. Probably hit the nail on the head there

Hugo was my fave Spurs player around 2013. His speed off his line was electric and he managed to keep clean sheets in games when our defence were playing suicidally. The errors were extremely rare and forgivable considering the role he was playing. He single handedly put points on the board and was arguably for me the best keeper in the league.

All keepers make mistakes. The mark of the best keepers is how rarely they come and how they react to them. I wonder if Hugo has lost a yard of pace and doesn't know it yet. We're only part way through the season and the errors are racking up and that's off the back of a poor season (by his standards at least) and a world cup final where he made a blunder he was lucky didn't cost his team anything other than his own embarrassment.

Crossing everything we're about to see a massive upturn in form from Hugo starting with the Man City game but I agree with others who say we need to have one eye on his replacement now.

Hugo was my fave Spurs player around 2013. His speed off his line was electric and he managed to keep clean sheets in games when our defence were playing suicidally. The errors were extremely rare and forgivable considering the role he was playing. He single handedly put points on the board and was arguably for me the best keeper in the league.

All keepers make mistakes. The mark of the best keepers is how rarely they come and how they react to them. I wonder if Hugo has lost a yard of pace and doesn't know it yet. We're only part way through the season and the errors are racking up and that's off the back of a poor season (by his standards at least) and a world cup final where he made a blunder he was lucky didn't cost his team anything other than his own embarrassment.

Crossing everything we're about to see a massive upturn in form from Hugo starting with the Man City game but I agree with others who say we need to have one eye on his replacement now.
I've been a huge defender of him on here and other conversations .
Finding it very difficult to do that now and I just wonder if we would go out and buy him now . I think not . Probably wouldn't touch him with the proverbial barge pole . I think the goalkeeping coaches have a job on their hands to be honest

He was my favourite player too and I’m a massive fan of his type of keeping.

If it was just the rushing off the line being an issue you could put it down to the risk of the sweeper keeper, but it’s not.

We should have gone for Pickford.

My read: Lloris is going through a tough time personally. It's affecting him. A law-abiding decent human being is struggling with having to deal with the legal system in a very public situation. His confidence is low.

Let's hope he bounces back. That save he made against West Ham was world class.

I am not writing him off. Not by a long shot.

I think 80's probably right we all behave like a horses ass now and again but he is dealing with his own fall from grace publicly. Its likely Poch wants to stand by him and show solidarity with a once top keeper. The issue is wether the lapse in judgment off the pitch is symptomatic of a man in crisis even what he was good at seems flawed at present( when to come out or stay). Are his powers starting to irrevocably wane? Or is it just a dip ? Either way we need a viable number two, that ls not Vorm and dont be fooled it's not Gaza.

If he was at the bigger clubs he would be dropped.

He is making mistakes he rarely used to make.

I think Freund has a point, he has lost his acceleration he once had. That happens when you get into your 30's. You certainly don't get faster or better.

Concentration also drops when you get into your 30's. He is 32 in a few months time.

I think we have to accept that if he stays, he has to change his style. His style isn't a long term game plan.

Keepers who last the longest tend to be the steady eddy types. Poch must grow a pair and have the chat. Otherwise Hugo will just get worse and worse.

On another tack, I don't think that tackle was a red card. I think that ref naffed us from minute one.