How old are you and how long have you been VTID...like to understand the age group on here | Page 4 | Vital Football

How old are you and how long have you been VTID...like to understand the age group on here

55 myself can't remember my first game but the only thing that's missing is an FA Cup win. But have some brilliant memories of the Villa over the years some great trips abroad and some wonderful around the country on the old football specials. Still get to almost every game each season despite living in South Shields for the last 24 years.

John Burridge actually , but yes it was a great team.
Was it thought Budgie was a little earlier what a character he was always used to make a beeline behind the goal when he was playing when he would start walking on his hands and many more daft antics but he was so funny.

64 probably going on 18 or 21 at a push:grinning:

1 Grew up in Aston and left Birmingham on 1st January 1975 aged 20 years old to start a new life in Bournemouth and before my dangerous lifestyle would have probably eventually claimed my life in Brum.

In 1996 I had a short story published in a series of books called "Brummies All Write 6" and this tells you all you need to know how and why Aston Villa is part of my life since my birth.

Please remember it was written in 1996, however, nothing changes with the Villa because once they get into the heart that's it for life"

"CLOSE ENCOUNTERS" By Derek.

" What chance did I have? I was born on the 17th April 1954 at 3.00 p.m. (kick-off time) within a stone's throw of Villa Park. On that particular Saturday, the Villa were playing at Charlton, with Derek Pace, the scorer for Villa, in a 1-1 draw. It was decided, from that day onwards, I was to be called Derek.

Fifty-seven years to the day before I was born, Villa Park staged its first game on 17th April 1897. Aston Villa were victorious that day and ran out 3-0 winners. On my eleventh birthday, 17th April 1965, my father took me to my first game at Villa Park, where victory was ours with a 2-1 win against Sheffield United. We lived on Little Oaks Road and, I can remember the thrill of waking up on a match day, getting ready, shutting the front door, turning right and seeing the floodlights of the ground, where some of my life's greatest and worst moments were to be played out.

In 1967 the team was going through a traumatic period and I recall reading an article in the Evening Mail about how the ghosts of the great players, from successful teams in the past, must now be walking around the great old Trinity Road stand, their poor souls tormented by the 'mess' the club was now in. This newspaper article, to the imagination of a thirteen year-old boy, showed a situation that had to be redressed and an opportunity not to be missed.

On a May night in 1967, I set out at the 'witching hour' in the direction of the lavish Trinity Road stand, a construction opened on 26th January 1924 by the Duke of York, later King George VI. My mission was to meet, talk to, and reassure, those legends from the past that their, and my, beloved club would return to winning ways and the silverware, once again, would be displayed in the trophy cabinet, also within the Trinity Road stand. Most of the kids who played in Aston Park, opposite the ground, knew of a loose hoarding above a turnstile, so this was my means of entry. In complete darkness I proceeded to walk around the stand searching every nook and cranny for 'ghosts of the great players'. I was completely without fear (as only a youngster of that age can be) as I called out to the 'ghosts', trying to remember the names of those great men of the past that I had read about. I had just one wish, which was to allay their fears so they could rest in peace. Alas, they did not appear.

I moved from Aston to Bournemouth some twenty years ago, but still the compulsion to return to Villa Park takes me over about ten times every season. When I enter the ground and take my seat, my mind returns to that night and I smile to myself, knowing that due to the success of recent years these great men of the past are now at peace, and long may they be." 46
I was born in 1874 (a VERY good year ) and died in 1954 (not so good). Have haunted the Trinity Road Stand ever since, except during the "improvements", when me and the lads shipped over the road to Aston Hall. TR Stand not so comfy, now. Too much concrete. Can get bloody freezing. Could catch me death!! Distinctly remember the night TH, or Dekker, as we knew him, came looking for us. Was playing 3 card brag with Harry Hampton and old Fred Rinder. Noticed him scuttling round in the dark. And, do y' know, we all said, in perfect harmony, "TWAT!" My, we did cackle. See you soon.

Would have been Rimmer in goal 77 wouldn't it but what a team that was.
Actually I believe in 77 it was still Burridge. Burridge was definitely in goal for the league cup marathon in 77.... I think Rimmer was signed in 1978....

Actually I believe in 77 it was still Burridge. Burridge was definitely in goal for the league cup marathon in 77.... I think Rimmer was signed in 1978....
Really Budgie was in goal for the Everton games I was at Old Trafford too my memory is shite these days lol.

Yes , that is how I remembered John Burridge was in goal , because I will never forget that game.
Burridge, Gidman, Robson, Phillips, Nicholl, Mortimer, Deehan, Little, Gray, Cropley, Carrodus.
Smith, Cowans and Graydon all were involved at some stage during the 17 replays too...:)

Robson (RIP) was a right-footed left back, and Phillips was a converted central midfielder. Square pegs! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah Chris Nicholls goal what a beauty. Plus Brian truly did walk on water that night.

He certainly did , plus he got a hat trick in the semi final as well.

Sir Dennis Mortimer was also majestic that night , and every other game he ever played for us for that matter.

Sir Dennis Mortimer was also majestic that night , and every other game he ever played for us for that matter.
Nicholl also scored four goals in one game that same season.
Test: Name the game and the final score!

Yeah against QPR at Highbury wasn't it.

46 , first match was in 1977 v wolves at the age of 5, stood in the Holte end and was addicted . Occasionally sat 3 to a seat in the trinity rd stand as my friends dad stood chatting to the turnstile man for long enough for us to crawl through his legs and get in for free .