How old are you and how long have you been VTID...like to understand the age group on here | Page 3 | Vital Football

How old are you and how long have you been VTID...like to understand the age group on here

61 and been going to Villa since I was 9, so been going to the home of football for 52 years.
I was born in walking distance of VP and when we could afford the money to get in we used to stand on the hill by Aston Hall and watch the small part of the pitch through the gap between the Holte End and the Trinity stand until they opened the gates 10 minutes before the end and then we would dodge the guys on the gate to watch the last 10 minutes for free.
Seen the bad times and the good times and was there when we were relegated to the 3rd division and at Highbury when we won the 1st division and in Rotterdam for the European Cup final

Attachments

• now and then1.jpg
    now and then1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 13
54 years young.

First game 73. Preston .. 2-0 win. Charlie Aitken got the second.

Chico Hamilton warning up as sub.

Line of buses waiting to take you home (apologies to the Buzzcocks)
We can dream eh?

There is indeed Harmony in your Head.:clap::bow: Any excuse for a tune from one of my favourite bands back in the day. Must have seen them about 10 times late 70's. Please excuse the impromptu appearance by the necromancing pedophile at the start of this video clip. Unfortunately an occupational hazard for music fans of that era.

66 First game 1957 F.A.cup final aged 5 Would say was taken down often by Dad but real awareness probably comes aged about 12 . Like many on here went home and away all through the third division and then second division days and then back to the first. Favourite team
will always be the Little,Gidman,Gray Deehan era under Ron yes I know we went on to win the league etc but for sheer excitement and buzzing every game still remember those times as the best. Season ticket holder for many years had to give it up a few years back due to health now have to go to games as and when, but still get to quite a few home games.

57, 58 in around 4 weeks.
First game 1967.
Dad was born and brought up just off Electric Avenue , Brantley Road, my grandad had a cobblers shop there and used to make and repair the players boots. His drinking partner was Pongo Wareing. Nan used to help with the pitch during the week and after match days pre war.
Stood in trinity paddock, Witton lane end pre north stand , the Holte of course then the blue seats lower trinity then season tickets in the upper trinity and so on.
Been through good and bad, dad went down and helped paint the stadium in late sixties after the appeal for volunteers.
So I think you could say we are a villa family through and through.

Did not realise how many on here were of the older vintage and born in and around Aston. Lived in Albert Road for my first 10 years. 52-62.

There is indeed Harmony in your Head.:clap::bow: Any excuse for a tune from one of my favourite bands back in the day. Must have seen them about 10 times late 70's. Please excuse the impromptu appearance by the necromancing pedophile at the start of this video clip. Unfortunately an occupational hazard for music fans of that era.

Just watched that video Northants... that took me back. I have the Spiral Scratch EP in almost mint condition somewhere with Howard Devoto on vocals.

Wow. Feel very old and a little bit sad. Footy and music not the same now. Both best sampled when you are a teenager I reckon.

Just watched that video Northants... that took me back. I have the Spiral Scratch EP in almost mint condition somewhere with Howard Devoto on vocals.

Wow. Feel very old and a little bit sad. Footy and music not the same now. Both best sampled when you are a teenager I reckon.

Yeah, got an original copy of Spiral Scratch too, not quite mint though. Loved Devoto's Magazine stuff as well.

Think you are right about being a teenager, everything is shiny, new and exciting and you savour every memory as a result. We were so fortunate with both music and football in the 70's. Wouldn't swap with todays teenagers for all the tea in China.

I'am 39. I' am a Villa Fan since 1993. I am from Germany and in early 90's the communication channels were limited compared to now. All I knew at this time was the atmosphere in England was (and still is) much much better than in Germany, so my interest in English football started...and the first time I have heard from Aston Villa was by playing a computer game! (The name "Aston Villa" and the colours...so great!) Best times (for now) was the Brian Little and John Gregory Era....better Times ahead! Trust me :-)!!!

For the colour blind and you 90's casualties :shake:, replicas are amazingly available in the club shop. Not sure about online though :grinning:

:grinning: It's the memories mate, Deano and Dalian, Ugo and McGrath etc.

Not bothered with the club shop replicas, they're not the real thing. I know a few sites though, can get one here for 60 quid, an early one from the 93/94 season before Muller was the sponsor.

https://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/1993-95-aston-villa-away-shirt-very-good-l.html

Enjoyed reading about everyone...cant remember my first game at VP..think it was about 78...be 10yrs old. Dad went home and away every week..he'd get the odd ticket for me to go when one of his mob couldn't go..That was it was hooked on going and my season ticket came next season...would be under the old clock in the corner until they built the North Stand so moved up the Holte...happy days standing ...Im from Burntwood Staffs...local team is Chasetown Fc and Hednesford Town...

:wave::wave::wave::wave:

Last edited:
I am 51 first game i went to was Villa vs West brom 4-1 to the villa Andy Gray hat-trick with Brian Little scoring the other 1977 my favourite Villa team gidman deeham little mortimer gray little cropley spinks in goal

Remember going the toilet up the clock end when i was a kid...ended up couldn't find dad and had to ask a copper..he took me to a room while they put a request out for him to collect me...sat there talking to the copper eating his sweets ...dad the gitt didn't collect me until the game finished....half an hour i sat there then got a bollockin off him....:lol:

34, started out with Big Ron. Thankfully growing up I had the chance to see some very good teams and players wear the villa shirt and win a couple of cups. Feel sorry for the youngsters of today who have the current rubbish to look back on. Maybe the next manager can give them something to remember.