How old are you and how long have you been VTID...like to understand the age group on here | Page 2 | Vital Football

How old are you and how long have you been VTID...like to understand the age group on here

Followed the Villa from the 74/75 season. How lucky was I to nail my colours to the Villa mast as that ship was about to sail.

Mom and Dad both Villa supporters. Paternal grandmother a Villan and maternal grandfather a massive fan. Used to work at Birmingham meat market saturday mornings before hoping on the frain to wherever Villa were playing. Always wore a villa badge on his jacket

64 probably going on 18 or 21 at a push:grinning:

1 Grew up in Aston and left Birmingham on 1st January 1975 aged 20 years old to start a new life in Bournemouth and before my dangerous lifestyle would have probably eventually claimed my life in Brum.

In 1996 I had a short story published in a series of books called "Brummies All Write 6" and this tells you all you need to know how and why Aston Villa is part of my life since my birth.

Please remember it was written in 1996, however, nothing changes with the Villa because once they get into the heart that's it for life"

"CLOSE ENCOUNTERS" By Derek.

" What chance did I have? I was born on the 17th April 1954 at 3.00 p.m. (kick-off time) within a stone's throw of Villa Park. On that particular Saturday, the Villa were playing at Charlton, with Derek Pace, the scorer for Villa, in a 1-1 draw. It was decided, from that day onwards, I was to be called Derek.

Fifty-seven years to the day before I was born, Villa Park staged its first game on 17th April 1897. Aston Villa were victorious that day and ran out 3-0 winners. On my eleventh birthday, 17th April 1965, my father took me to my first game at Villa Park, where victory was ours with a 2-1 win against Sheffield United. We lived on Little Oaks Road and, I can remember the thrill of waking up on a match day, getting ready, shutting the front door, turning right and seeing the floodlights of the ground, where some of my life's greatest and worst moments were to be played out.

In 1967 the team was going through a traumatic period and I recall reading an article in the Evening Mail about how the ghosts of the great players, from successful teams in the past, must now be walking around the great old Trinity Road stand, their poor souls tormented by the 'mess' the club was now in. This newspaper article, to the imagination of a thirteen year-old boy, showed a situation that had to be redressed and an opportunity not to be missed.

On a May night in 1967, I set out at the 'witching hour' in the direction of the lavish Trinity Road stand, a construction opened on 26th January 1924 by the Duke of York, later King George VI. My mission was to meet, talk to, and reassure, those legends from the past that their, and my, beloved club would return to winning ways and the silverware, once again, would be displayed in the trophy cabinet, also within the Trinity Road stand. Most of the kids who played in Aston Park, opposite the ground, knew of a loose hoarding above a turnstile, so this was my means of entry. In complete darkness I proceeded to walk around the stand searching every nook and cranny for 'ghosts of the great players'. I was completely without fear (as only a youngster of that age can be) as I called out to the 'ghosts', trying to remember the names of those great men of the past that I had read about. I had just one wish, which was to allay their fears so they could rest in peace. Alas, they did not appear.

I moved from Aston to Bournemouth some twenty years ago, but still the compulsion to return to Villa Park takes me over about ten times every season. When I enter the ground and take my seat, my mind returns to that night and I smile to myself, knowing that due to the success of recent years these great men of the past are now at peace, and long may they be." 46

54. Born in 1964 and went to my first game in 1969. After that I went to nearly all home games and went to my first away game in 1975 v Blackpool in our promotion year(Actually does Wembley count as an away game ?)

I am lucky enough to have been 17/18 in the league and European cup triumphs so those memories are ingrained in me and will never ever be forgotten neither will be the 1976/77 season .

Like tmg I feel for my 19 year old lad who best moments so far are the MON era .

I've outgrown hair on my head, I'm past the half century of life, and I've been Claret And Blue to the core since October 1979 - 39 years. Enjoyed the highs and lows of being proud to follow the Villa. Seen the club lift the League Title and European Cup in successive seasons, felt the pain and heart ache of 2 relegations and 2 cup final defeats. Losing ruins my day winning makes me smile and feel all is well with the world. Aston Villa and rock music have been 2 of the most important things in my life outside of family and friends and will continue to be so - I will always be Villa til I die.

70 and still clinging on. First game was in 1967, ironically against Preston. We won that 1-0 and I was hooked, having been subjected to a barrage of Newcastle propaganda from my Geordie father and Blues supporting friends. My Villa mates convinced me to go to the game. I must admit that I don't remember much of the game as it coincided with my introduction to the industrial scale drinking that my mates went in for. Hooked ever since. VTID.

I’m 32. First game I think I was being a 4 year old. Early memories standing on top of milk crates in the holte end

just turned 50 so like a few on here, I can still see in my fading memory banks the truly great times from the late 70s onwards to the last trophy win from my seat at Wembley against M utd,
Favourite game was the super cup win over Barcelona at villa park, mental in the holt end. The away game at inter Milan when we spent 2 days travelling across Europe in a foul smelling coach to be told the game was going to be cancelled due to an electric storm in Milan. It went ahead on a flooded pitch and we lost thanks to a Bergcamp Penalty but what a laugh we had those 4 days traveling Europe.
got a bit tasty when we stopped at a servo station in Switzerland with a coach full of AC Milan fans but we were a band of Brothers who looked out for our own then, happy days.
i now live in sunny QLD Australia, been here 12 yrs now and only watch on satellite tv now so I'm a fully fledged armchair fan.
Last game was the Villa v Blues game when we won 5;1 so not a bad last game to see.
Hope to return one day but too many countries this end to experience before a return to the grey motherland.

57 - parental generation all lived in and around the West Midlands, family mostly Wolves. Although I was taken to Molyneux many times, the old man would pick and choose games based on who was at home when we visited the family. Bought me a claret and blue shirt when I was 8 and took me to the famous semi-final victory over Man Utd 1970-71, 48 years ago. Villa ever since.

Being a bit of a tearaway, as a teenager, (without parental knowledge lol) used to "jump" the train from Northampton to New Street to watch the greatest team we ever had mid to late 70's.

Not as hardcore in my attendance as I got older, but the Villa is in my blood. With all of the parental generation now passed on, a trip to the Villa always feels like going "home" although I've never lived in Brum.

57: started going down VP when I was about 8 years old, though was born with Villa blood as 4th generation

As "Villa since '63" suggests my first game was August 31st 1963 versus Blackburn, we lost 2-1. Coincidentally I am now 63. Favourite game probably Man U LC semi in 1970, or Bournemouth at home in 1972, but after 55 years there are so many to choose from despite a lot of dross we all have suffered!

54 years young.

First game 73. Preston .. 2-0 win. Charlie Aitken got the second.

Chico Hamilton warning up as sub.

Trinity Road upper. Smell of stale cigars and booze.

Witton End.

Scoreboard with the letters on, so you had to cross-check with the program for which letter was which game for other half times.

Proper Holte End.

Line of buses waiting to take you home (apologies to the Buzzcocks)

None of the stands then now exist which is why I am less wedded to the notion that we shouldn't move to a new stadium*

*As long as the stadium was along the same line as Spurs new design. A big safe-standing Holte End. Everyone close to the pitch. Location near the City Centre. 60,000 capacity.

We can dream eh?