Aston Villa vs Stoke City Sat 15th Dec 3pm | Page 5 | Vital Football

Aston Villa vs Stoke City Sat 15th Dec 3pm

I'll be amazed if it's not Whelan.... Whelan seems to be his go to midfielder next in the pecking order.

Will also be interested to see what the fans say if it is him, as Bruce would have got slated.

Bruce would never have got us playing this brand of football so the debate is a non starter

That's not the debate though.

The debate is do managers pick players they can trust, or do they be brave an gamble?

Bruce always picked players he trusted. It's worked for him in the past, but didn't really here and was one of the criticisms that he got.

Smith obviously trusts Whelan, but O'Hare would be the bold brave choice.

Will just be interesting to see thats all.

In my opinion O'Hare is the closest like for like replacement we've got for Grealish, in terms of playing style. It would be a bold move to stick him straight in certainly but if our most important attacking player is out then why would we replace him with our most defensive midfielder? I'd understand why but if be disappointed all the same.

I'll be amazed if it's not Whelan.... Whelan seems to be his go to midfielder next in the pecking order.

Will also be interested to see what the fans say if it is him, as Bruce would have got slated.

The fans will be ok because even with Whelan in the side there will be the attacking intent. It wasn't with Bruce . It was not his way. That's why we were eventually all pissed bored.

But. I wouldn't play Whelan anyway. Hourihane, Mcginn works. Hourihane and Whelan even with Mcginn doesn't work.

I agree. Hourihane seems to have found a home in that DM role and I think he's great there so I wouldn't dislodge him.

How about El Ghazi in the 10 role? He has a trick in him. We could then bring back Kodjia on the wing.

I would be surprised if he replaced Super Jack with Whelan.

The one thing Smith has done is played players in their proper position. Taylor might not be the best but playing a left footed player at left back is just common sense and I expect a common sense selection with who he chooses to play .

O’Hare for Grealish is the sort of change I’d make on FIFA! More like-for-like than the rest of the options. As for the result, I’ll say a 3-1 win. Another game without a clean sheet me thinks.

I trust Dean Smith completely with team selection. He’s shown that whoever plays, boring, turgid, safety-first football ain’t his bag.

The main thing for me is to keep momentum going and show the setback of a cheating, last gasp equaliser hasn’t dented confidence.

A nigh on full house will carry the boys home. We have shown we fear nobody and rightly so.

:utv:

Whelan with Hourihane and McGinn ahead of him looks like the Bruce option.
Let’s hope Bolasie and El Ghazi can keep Stoke pinned back. I think we lose it as an attacking force with Whelan in the side.

It was meant to be a battle that we'd lose against Middlesbrough as well. You don't win these games by jumping into the mud and playing the opposition at their game, you win by forcing them to play your game. I guarentee you that Gary Rowett is sitting in his hotel now praying we slow ourselves down by starting Whelan.

Interesting debate isn't it? Much better than the "he's shit, start anyone but him" debates under Bruce.

Interestingly we have to win the next 10 straight before reaching the 2ppg average that every pundit says we need to get out of the division. I kind of like the idea of El Ghazi starting behind Abraham but don't think he will do the things Jack does (collecting the ball from deep, holding the ball up, drawing a foul). Think it unbalance's the side ultimately, but then I feel Whelan does as well.

All will be revealed about 2pm tomorrow. Hope it excites the 40k crowd. :party:

We simply have to go on a long winning run. Draws are useless .
A loss tomorrow would be devastating and stoke would go above us .
Win we go 7th

Don't think DS will start O'Hare until he's had a couple of outings as a sub, but he might. He's got other options, moving El Ghazi inside or Hourihane further up being a couple. Wonder if he'd play Hogan as a number 10.

Hogan is a striker pure and simple , he hasn't got the craft for a number 10.

Smith's strength is that he keep's it pretty simple in terms of players playing in their proper positions so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see O'Hare starting in Super Jacks place as like for like he is the nearest we have.

I would go for that .