2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings | Page 23 | Vital Football

2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings

V Wycombe

Hart - 5.4 not much to do, but unconvincing in what he did do.

Japhet - Did ok in first half, not sure why he came off, but sticking Sissoko there was utterly pointless. Can only hope this wasn't a tactical move, if it was, it will hurt Japhet. - 6.5

Sanchez - Still got that one bad mistake every game in him, but looked fairly comfortable before and after the goal, where he should have done better - 6

Toby - struggled for long periods, looked well off his best and as the commentator kept saying should not have kept getting so close to who he was marking as it made it easy for him to use his strength and unnerve Toby. - 6

Davies - did ok, nothing outstanding, really looks one-dimensional now. - 5.5

Winks - playing alongside Sissoko is a mistake, but tried to create forward impetus, got little support for long periods, looked so much better when PH came on, took his goal well, really was the tempo making from midfield. - 8.0

Sissoko - he was once again Sisosososo - thought he'd been subbed in second half, waste of time energy and space - 5

Lamela - worked hard, but for little reward, his decision making still lets him down badly - 5.5

Moura - tried hard, to little effect most of the time, he is another whose decision making is pretty poor. We really need to move him on.

Bale - showed much better, looked fitter and showed he still can have a turn of foot, he clearly needs competitive minutes now to sharpen up, but I was encouraged he may yet step up and make a difference to our season - 7

Vini - the less said the better - 4

Subs:

Hojbjerg 7.5 - makes being a DM'er look easy

Ndombele 8.5 - simply a genius and our best hope for an AM who can score goals - I think he has the taste for them now.

Kane - 6, did ok

Son 7 - gave us that much-needed injection of pace that forced them back onto their heels.

Rodon - pointless sub, no idea what it achieved.

Jose - Got the subs right, but again don't understand why we aren't better prepared or why they all like like to strangers to each other in games like these. But we won comfortably in the end. - 6

Last edited:
I have 10 media/ web ratings but will leave it a day until I put them up in case anyone wants to post. A couple of players are dividing opinion , one rated from 5 to 8, another 4 to 7. !!

I have 10 media/ web ratings but will leave it a day until I put them up in case anyone wants to post. A couple of players are dividing opinion , one rated from 5 to 8, another 4 to 7. !!

It occurs to me that you should provide your own vote! Also, I wonder if we also started a 'worse' player as well as a MOM ?

My ratings which take into account the standard of opposition.
Hart 6, Tanganga 6, Sanchez.5.5, Toby 5, Davies 6, Winks 8, Sissoko 6 , Lamela 6.5, Bale 7, Moura 7, Vinnie 4, Hojbjerg 6, Kane 7, Son 6.5, Ndombele 8.
Jose 8.

Hart - 5.5
Tanga - 6
Toby - 5.5
Sanchez - 6
Davies - 5.5
Winks - 6.5
Sissoko - 5.5
Lamela - 5.5
Moura - 6
Bale - 7
Vini - 5

PEH - 6.5
Ndombele - 8
Kane - 7
Son - 7

Jose - 7.5

Ex , I understand you dont like Moura but not rating him is a bit harsh. You have not put a number.
My rating for him of 7 includes at least 4 good runs with the ball, a good corner, one good control, an assist for Bale ( lovely dinked pass ) in total 11 notable contributions and no serious negatives.

Hart - 5.5 - Little to do. Can't blame him for the goal.
Tanga - 5. - 45 mins and nothing standout of note. Not match sharp.
Toby - 5.5. Controlled by bully boys!. Not played for a while, not in tune.
Sanchez - 5.0 - Little to do, but still not convincing.
Davies - 5.5 - Steady Eddie, Not a leader and Capt material in my book.
Winks - 6.0 - Good start and end, but mediocre (standard) the rest of game.
Sissoko - 5.5 - Grafter as usual. Generally a typical Sissoko outing. No complaints.
Lamela - 5.5 - Nothing influential whatsoever. Still see him as an energetic sub.
Moura - 6.5 -Improved with the game but still not a starter in PL imo.
Bale - 6.5 - Much improved performance, Was flagging at the end. Encouraging.
Vini - 5 - Sorry, playing that leading role wasted his opp to impress.
PEH - 6.5 Solid support but another player that needs to improve his shooting.
Ndombele - 7.0 Outstanding cameo. Certainly woke up many spectators!!
Kane - 6.0 - Not his fault, but he alone, with earlier dross couldn't make it happen.
Son - 6.5 Added much needed urgency and energy, hope he improves his shooting by Thurs.

Jose - 6.0. - 10 changes to start with is OTT imo. Not giving fringe a fair chance with all strangers starting at same time.

Team as a whole: 6/10. Job done, no injuries, good test for Bale, learnt little about the fringe players which is a worry seeing we are now coming to the real testing time of the season.

Last edited:
Hart 6.5, Tanganga 6, Sanchez 6.5, Alderweireld 6, Davies 7, Sissoko 6.5, Winks 8, Lamella 6.5, Moura 6.5, Vinicius 5.5, Bale 7.
Subs: Kane 7, Son 6, N’Dombele 8, Hojbjerg 7, Rodon N/A.
Jose 7.5

Average player ratings against Wycombe across 10 media/web reports and 6 forum posters. Media in second column.

Hart 5.83, 6.30
Tanganga 5.91, 6.20
Sanchez 5.75 5.90
Toby 5.58 5.70
Davies 5.91, 6.60
Winks 7.16, 7.55
Sissoko 5.66, 6.50
Lamela 5.83 6.20
Moura 6.16, 6.85
Bale 6.83 7.55
Vinnie 4.66, 5.25
Hojbjerg 6.66 7.15
Ndombele 7.83, 8.35
Kane 6.66, 6.85
Son 6.66, 6.55

Jose 6.66.

Versus Liverpool:

Lloris - 5. We needed a big game from him but we got the opposite. He seems to save his worst for Liverpool.

Aurier - 3. WTF? As with Leicester, we concede needlessly on the stroke of half-time and the complexion of the game changes. Demoralising to watch. It must be soul destroying playing alongside him.

Rodon - 6. I thought he did well on a tough night and a great first half tackle on Mane (from Son's careless loss of possession). A bad mistake for the 3rd goal which killed the game.

Dier - 5. Unconvincing for the most part. His passing was and continues to be woeful.

Davies - 6. In the main he stuck to his task well. One of the few to come out with any credit.

Docherty - 4. Lost on the left-hand side. Not much better on the right. Offered nothing going forward. He looks a bang average footballer.

PEH - 7.5. A leader's performance. The one player who looked like he really cared and belonged on the same pitch as Liverpool.

Ndombele - 6.5. Needed more from him overall. Having said that he provided the only skilful touches of play from our players. The non-existent movement around him limited his options and was pushed too far forward - again - by Jose in the second half.

Bergwijn - 5.5. Industrious as always. Defensively - on and off the ball - he's ideal for Jose's system. But going forward he really lacks quality.

Kane - 5.5. Not on long enough to really influence the game. But his absence in the second half shows us what we miss when he's not there.

Son - 4.5. Very disappointing. Another goal disallowed for offside. Should have done much better on the one-on-one. A couple of decent runs behind their defence but offered very little other than that. Completely faded without Kane in the second half and not helped by being played out of position.

Lamela - 3.5. Pointless. Negative passing, loss of possession etc. And that's on the rare occasions he was involved.

Winks - 4. Did nothing to strengthen his case for inclusion in the first eleven. He needed to be played further forward but his passing was shocking. No impact on the game.

Bale. Came on too late to assess.

Jose - 5. I can see a lot of flak coming his way. It was a risk playing Doherty on the left which backfired. Correct call to switch to a back 4 at half-time and bring on Winks. It had to be Vini for Kane though. No doubt he will be vilified for his tactics but I thought he was badly let down by the players last night.

I've taken a deep breath and calmed down, I've reviewed the key critical moments this game (at least for me) changed, so here goes:

Lloris - 3.5 worst game in a very long time, we needed a big night incredible hulk style, we got Pee-wee Herman
Rodon - 4 was out of his depth for much of it and the weakness showed, not his fault, badly used.
Dier - 5.5 tried, but his incessant hoofing was so frustrating, as was his panic driven short passing game
Davies - 5 - he really is just not good enough when up against top players
Aurier - 5.5 - up until the error (where he should have had support, he was doing ok, kept Mane pretty quiet, when withdrawn Mane run riot. Not a smart substitution, but Jose always has to pick on at least one player and blame the, for the whole tactical shambles and performance.
PH - 9 - can't make up anymore superlatives about him, leaves it all on the pitch; it's time he was our Captain.
Ndombele - 5.5 - started brightly, got moved second half and that was almost the end of his match, Jose seems lost how to use him at times.
Docherty - 2.5 - he's just not good enough at anything. No wonder they sold him to us with their blessing.
Bergwijn - 5 - tried, huffed and puffed but just doesn't seem to have the quality I saw when he played for Holland, no idea what we can do with him now except hope he has a good Euro's and we can sell him.
Son - 4.5 - he seems to have lost his mojo after the disallowed goal, didn't do enough after it as the game just passed him by, and he had no choice to do just that after Harry went off.
Kane - 5- didn't trouble them too much before his injuries, but now we're once again all asking -wtf are we going to do now?!

Lamela - 3.5 MIA
Winks - 5.5 Tried, but got too easily bypassed
G.Bale - 4.5 couldn't really influence anything, but run about a bit

Jose - 2.5 his negative weird selection/set-up didn't give us a chance
WTF is going on in his head???

Versus Liverpool.

As I've said in the match thread, Liverpool player for player are different class to us, whereby rating our players against them almost seems unfair. To further emphasise this, if I were to rate all twenty two players who started last night, only Hojbjerg from our team would rate in the top eleven.

Lloris 5 - Made a good start with a stunning save from Mane. After that it was downhill all the way. The palm out into TAA's path was schoolboy keeping.

Doherty 4 - Thought he would be a good signing when he joined us. Wonder now if he's as disillusioned as the fans are. One of the biggest frustrations with him, and there are plenty, is his tendency to try and avoid the opposition getting a fairly harmless throw on, time and time again retrieving the ball on the touchline, then playing a dangerous sideways pass to a colleague, or a pointless hoof up the pitch, invariably giving the ball to the opposition, often in a far more dangerous position than where the original throw in would have been. Drives me nuts, and demonstrates a lack of footballing intelligence.

Aurier 3 - Think that it has been pretty clear to most for sometime, that if you are going to play Aurier, you play Sissoko to baby sit him. Mourinho didn't, with the inevitable outcome.

Dier 6 - Has been our most consistent defender this season. Last night however, with Salah, Firmino and Mane descending on him relentlessly, he looked and played as if it was all a bit too much for him.

Rodon 5 - He's not ready to take on opposition of Liverpool's quality. Surprised that Alderweireld wasn't selected ahead of him for this one,

Davies 6 - Despite his limitations Davies is a solid, reliable defender. He's not good enough though to take on Salah and TAA almost single handedly, but stuck to the task throughout.

Hojbjerg 7.5 - Wasn't at his best, but still played pretty well and was our only player capable of competing on the night. Should be given the captaincy, it would at least be nice to have some form of leadership on the pitch,.

Ndombele 6 - Did a lot of twisting and turning without falling over, and on occasions made good space for himself. Made very little impact overall however.

Bergwijn 4 - Epitomises the current Spurs, works hard, looks quite good on the ball, but he's a complete nothing player with no end product. Shame on you Gareth for not being able to displace this guy.

Kane 5.5 - Was never really in the game, but even whilst carrying a knock the quality is always there to see, Replacing him for several games with somebody the quality of Vinicius doesn't bare thinking about.

Son 5 - His head seem to drop when his goal was disallowed, and he disappeared completely after Kane departed.

Subs

Lamela 3.5 - What was that all about.

Winks 4.5 - Extraordinary how often he can look the real deal against lesser opposition, but simply not be good enough against quality opposition. If we do make it down to the Championship he'll be the best player on the park week in, week out. For top half of the Premiership for me its already proven that he hasn't got it.

Mourinho 2 - Can't think of a single decision he got right. I do believe that he is a realist who knows he cannot compete at the highest levels of the Premiership, whereby his focus will increasingly shift toward Cup competitions. A win in a second rate competition will open the door for him to tell the world what he achieved, which nobody else could, at Spurs. In the unlikely event of a Europa League win, I'm sure that the Special One will be resurrected.

I am not gonna score the team becasuse I cant be arsed like they werent arsed on the pitch!.........they were all 4 and under apart from PH because on desire effort etc he is a mile ahead of any one else and scored a cracking goal which if we had any other players to help him build on that we might have got something out of the game....he must be sick as a parrot just like all of us.

I am not gonna score the team becasuse I cant be arsed like they werent arsed on the pitch!.........they were all 4 and under apart from PH because on desire effort etc he is a mile ahead of any one else and scored a cracking goal which if we had any other players to help him build on that we might have got something out of the game....he must be sick as a parrot just like all of us.

Rating the players is to help me and the quest for the seasons average rating for each player. Not one game that annoys us. But if you cant do it calmly or without bias, probably best not to.

I have 10 media/web ratings but will wait for a while until I put up the summary in case anyone is brave enough to watch the game.

Rating the players is to help me and the quest for the seasons average rating for each player. Not one game that annoys us. But if you cant do it calmly or without bias, probably best not to.
Appreciate that Nick and the work you put in, so apologies but I really cannot be arsed thinking about how each individual did 'not' play last night....

My ratings v Liverpool without malice or anger.
Lloris 4 ( generous)

Aurier 3 ( was a 4 but he loses a mark for being absent both in mind and body )

Rodon 5 , had an ok game considering his inexperienced, lost a mark for the goal.

Dier 5 plenty of good points but again loses a mark for the goal.

Doherty 3 Did very little on both sides.

Hojbjerg 7 some good tackles, the goal elevates his rating by 1

Davies 5 , the usual for him, ok.

Ndombele 6, good in the first half but as usual faded.

Bergwijn 5, got an assist but average again.

Son 5 unlucky not to score, had another chance he could have done better on..

Kane 6 , pretty good for 30 mins.

Lamela 4, Winks 4, Bale 3

Jose 3. Poor selection and tactics accordingly.

Appreciate that Nick and the work you put in, so apologies but I really cannot be arsed thinking about how each individual did 'not' play last night....

You have the Pomp disease, he cant put his mind to it either, must be an age thing ? I mark all the players as I watch but had to think quite hard about my final ratings.

For example Rodon, I marked him positively for good tackle, good defending, good defending, good tackle, then one negative of poor defending for the goal. Although I was annoyed about the goal he had an ok game, likewise Dier apart from the mix up with Hugo.

Whilst having calmed down somewhat but still very unhappy here are what I hope are dispassionate ratings. I am trying to be fair!
Lloris 4, Aurier 3, Rodon 6, Dier5.5, Davies 5, Doherty 3, Hojbjerg 7, N’Dombele 6, Bergwyn 5, Kane 4, Son 4
Subs: winks 4.5, Lamella 4, Bale 4,
Jose 2