2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings | Page 25 | Vital Football

2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings

My ratings against Chelsea
Lloris 7, Aurier 6, Toby 5.5, Dier 5, Davies 5, Hojbjerg 5, Sissoko 5, Ndombele 4, Bergwijn 5, Son 4, Vinnie 3.5, Lamela 7, Moura 5.5

Jose 3

This is getting to be an increasingly difficult exercise to undertake Nick. The team performance has been so poor for such a lengthy period now, that it becomes almost demoralising to consistently produce a set of ratings where the team average is probably around 5.5. Obviously the brand of football being adopted is the main contributing factor in this regard. This does however result in a set of seasonal averages which are probably not a fair representation of players ability. Would Kane and Son regularly be scoring fives and sixes if they were playing for any other Club.
The Chelsea game is even more difficult. It was such a nothing performance that where does one start. I've opted to use 5 pretty much as a benchmark, with minor fluctuations differentiating those who were slightly better than mediocre, from those who were poor, whether that be by performance or circumstance.

Lloris 6, Aurier 5, Dier 3.5, Alderweireld 5, Davies 5, Hojbjerg 4.5, Sissoko 4.5, Ndombele 4.5. Bergwijn 4, Vinicius 4, Son 4, Lamela 7.5, Moura 6.5, Mourinho 3

As I've said in another thread, Jose reckoned that the referee was wrong to award Chelsea a penalty, and that Vinicius shouldn't have missed the best (only) chance we had all night. No doubt therefore he would give himself a ten on the basis that his game plan worked to perfection, and he was just unlucky.

This is getting to be an increasingly difficult exercise to undertake Nick. The team performance has been so poor for such a lengthy period now, that it becomes almost demoralising to consistently produce a set of ratings where the team average is probably around 5.5. Obviously the brand of football being adopted is the main contributing factor in this regard. This does however result in a set of seasonal averages which are probably not a fair representation of players ability. Would Kane and Son regularly be scoring fives and sixes if they were playing for any other Club.
The Chelsea game is even more difficult. It was such a nothing performance that where does one start. I've opted to use 5 pretty much as a benchmark, with minor fluctuations differentiating those who were slightly better than mediocre, from those who were poor, whether that be by performance or circumstance.

Lloris 6, Aurier 5, Dier 3.5, Alderweireld 5, Davies 5, Hojbjerg 4.5, Sissoko 4.5, Ndombele 4.5. Bergwijn 4, Vinicius 4, Son 4, Lamela 7.5, Moura 6.5, Mourinho 3

As I've said in another thread, Jose reckoned that the referee was wrong to award Chelsea a penalty, and that Vinicius shouldn't have missed the best (only) chance we had all night. No doubt therefore he would give himself a ten on the basis that his game plan worked to perfection, and he was just unlucky.

Your ratings look pretty balanced to me. It's not meant to be easy this ratings lark. It's not like the pictures to words quiz !!
Across the season the averages do give a fairly good indication of players performance. The mid season review I did is buried somewhere. It might be worth a look to assess whether it gives a fair picture.

Thanks for the contribution.

LOL - we should post their playing ratings before partaking in such merriment as Off Topic Quizzes.

So I thought I'd better put my ratings up

Lloris 6 - steady Eddie
Aurier 5 - one goal saving tackle but otherwise his normal averageness
Toby 6 - mostly OK
Dier 4 - in really poor form at the moment
Davies 5 - stuck at it but another one that is average with the ball
Hojbjerg 6.5 - got dug in for too long, but mostly played OK
Sissoko 4.5 - just a waste of a shirt and has started being lazy
Ndombele 5 - can someone tell him the game is 90 mins
Bergwijn 4.5 - run around a lot....again
Vinicius 4 - looked worse than Championship
Son 4.5 - displaying a poor attitude at the moment

Subs
Lamela 7 - better than normal, actually made a difference
Moura 6.5 - best cameo for a while

Jose 3 - started the game in Plan A Low Block for 45 mins, then moved them to Mode B Counter for the next 25 mins and had to finish in Plan C Full Press when they were all tired and losing. The only surprise was that he got a reaction from some of them after half time. They looked as if they were checked out in the 1st half.

NRD:

**5 being average:

Lloris 6 - Kept it at 1-0
Aurier 5 - Overall...meh...but did have one hell of cross that Vini should have finished
Toby 6 - Solid...though he was largely isolated
Dier 3 - Shit...gifted one...tried to do it again later...
Davies 3 - Shit. Someone test him for being colorblind...
Hojbjerg 6.5 - Not much he could do...with the pile of shit around him
Sissoko 3.5 - Ran around some...about it
Ndombele 3.5 - Shit...depressing sack of shit
Bergwijn 3 - Seriously still not sure if he was on the pitch...but ok
Vinicius 4 - Harsh...but yeah he needs to score that header...but he really has had NO time with the first team. I would give up him yet
Son 3.5 - Can run fast...sure sure

Subs
Lamela 7 - Immediate impact...understood that if we can keep the ball and attack...we may get a goal...amazing fucking concept.
Moura 6.5 - Good impact next to Lamela...showed effort which is more than I can say for most of the starters.

JM - 2 - Fuck dude...get a clue...

v Chelsea - remind me again, was it a 'home' game?

Lamela - 6.5 - sad indictment seeing a sub get the highest rating
Moura - 5.6 - almost ditto!

Toby - 5.5 - not much wrong
ND, Hoj - 5.4 - wasn't their day but tried.
Lloris, Aurier, Vin, Bergwijn - 5.0 - Need a lot more from all of them.
Davies - 4.5 - just don't rate the guy, offers nothing. Aurier offered more.

Sissoko - 4.4 - Never sure what his role is.
Dier - 4.0 Going backward at rate of knots.
Son - 3.9 - From hero to zero in less than 4 weeks. Cuts a frustrated figure.

Jose - 3.5 - right subs, but does not seem to learn from past mistakes.

Last edited:
Average player ratings against Chelsea across 10 media/ websites and 6 forum posters. Media in second column.

Lloris 5.83 , 6.60
Davies 4.33, 4.80
Dier 3.75 , 3.40
Toby 5.58, 5.50
Aurier 5.25, 6.40
Hojbjerg 5.66, 5.15
Sissoko 4.33, 4.95
Ndombele 4.50, 5.10
Bergwijn 4.25, 4.70
Vinnie 4, 5
Son 3.58, 4.60
Moura 6.08, 5.45
Lamela 6.58, 6.40

Jose 2.5

Player ratings for Baggies

Lloris 6 - Not much to do
Aurier 6 - energy yes, but technique still very wanting
Sanchez 8 - our best defender on the day. Great composure to step up and ensure both their goal attempts were offside. Toby even applauded him.
Toby 7 - not best on the left but was mostly solid
Davies 6.5 - got further more, but still lacking quality
Hojbjerg 7 - solid game, good passing
Ndombele 6.5 - the partnership with Hoj is forming but Tanguy needs to want it more
Moura 6 - not defensively switched on, but made a few foraging runs
Lamela 7 - busy all game. Just wish he had more end product
Son 7 - better from Son. We still need more though
Kane 7 - happy to see him back.

Subs
Bergwijn 6 - sort of felt sorry for him. Was sent on when the team dropped back into a defensive shape
Scarlett (not long enough) - I'm getting worried that this lad is a pawn in the Jose game. Clearly there to get Jose a new record and to deflect the media attention. I just hope he doesn't end up collateral damage.

Jose 6 - better from Jose. Rewarded the 2 guys that came off the bench in the last game and got us more on the front foot. Still couldn't help himself with some nonsense in the post match interview with the "players are compromising" nonsense.

V West Brom

Lloris 6 - Not much to do, but looked confident
Aurier 6.5 - thought he did well
Sanchez 8.5 - Because we weren't replaying the alamo again, he looked outstanding, very assured.
Toby 7 - Always looks slightly off-balance when on the left (we badly need a Left sided CB)
Davies 6 - Still limited, but did ok
Hojbjerg 7 - Played 10 yards in front of our Backline, an instant difference to our intent and foward play
Ndombele 6.5 - Did well, faded early then came back again, needs to concentrate
Moura 5.5 - Busy, another 'almost' endeavour from him but no cigar, although did well for the set-up for Som
Lamela 7 - Rinse, repeat, tackling appalling, end product bereft of quality. Good energy.
Son 6.5 - looks like a different player when relieved of charging up and down the pitch with defensive duties.
Kane 7 - lacking sharpness, but did well

Subs
Bergwijn 5 - didn't do much again

Scarlett - stupid sub

Jose 5 - Forced to listen, forced to change, but not a force himself anymore.

Last edited:
Lloris 6 - One good save. Very little else to do.

Aurier 7 - Did well overall. Linked well with the forwards, some good runs and passes.

Sanchez 7.5 - Dominated in the air against powerful opponents. A confident game all round.

Toby 7 - No dramas, as always. Secure and confident. A good player for Sanchez to have alongside.

Davies 5.5 - Got into some good forward positions but doesn't have the skill sets to take advantage.

PEH 7 - Reads the game so well, good tackling and distribution.

Ndombele 6 - Slightly disappointing. At times he's holding on to the ball too long and being dispossessed. And quite a few misplaced passes.

Lamela 7 - Lot's of energy and pressing. A few good runs. Still gives away needless free kicks.

Moura 5.5 - One great run for the goal. A couple of other mazy dribbles that promised much but delivered nothing. His passing was generally poor.

Kane 6.5 - Very well taken goal. Should have done better with two other first half opportunities. After our second goal he just seemed to be trying to avoid injury.

Son 6 - Great run and finish for the goal. Had little impact otherwise and lost possession too easily.

Subs - too late to assess.

Jose 7 - Good team selection and formation. He brought on Berg when he could have brought on Sissoko, so kudos for that too.

Last edited:
Lloris 6 - One good save. Very little else to do.

Aurier 7 - Did well overall. Linked well with the forwards, some good runs and passes.

Sanchez 7.5 - Dominated in the air against powerful opponents. A confident game all round.

Toby 7 - No dramas, as always. Secure and confident. A good player for Sanchez to have alongside.

Davies 5.5 - Got into some good forward positions but doesn't have the skill sets to take advantage.

PEH 7 - Reads the game so well, good tackling and distribution.

Ndombele 6 - Slightly disappointing. At times he's holding on to the ball too long and being dispossessed. And quite a few misplaced passes.

Lamela 7 - Lot's of energy and pressing. A few good runs. Still gives away needless free kicks.

Moura 5.5 - One great run for the goal. A couple of other mazy dribbles that promised much but delivered nothing. His passing was generally poor.

Kane 6.5 - Very well taken goal. Should have done better with two other first half opportunities. After our second goal he just seemed to be trying to avoid injury.

Son 6 - Great run and finish for the goal. Had little impact otherwise and lost possession too easily.

Subs - too late to assess.

Jose 7 - Good team selection and formation. He brought on berg when he could have brought on Sissoko, so kudos for that too.

hmm, Not sure you've got Ndom right on the passing, he had a 90% successful pass rate, but do agree he dwelled a tad to long when he should have been quicker spotting the pass..

hmm, Not sure you've got Ndom right on the passing, he had a 90% successful pass rate, but do agree he dwelled a tad to long when he should have been quicker spotting the pass..
I was thinking more about the forward passes and I thought a few were quite sloppy. I suppose my expectations of him are so high that I'm subconsciously tougher on him. But there were more opportunities for him yesterday to play more penetrating passes which he either didn't see or didn't want to commit to.

v WBA

Lamela, Kane, Son, Hoj - 7.0
ND, Aurier - 6.5
Sanchez, Toby, Moura - 6.4
Davies, Hugo - 6.0

Berg, Doherty - 4.5

Jose - 4.5

Lamela - Agree about end product but imo his movement drags the defenders, opening space for others.

Moura - apart from the assist run, thought he was akin to Lamela, but even less end product.

Kane - Usual confident self, striking every opening and spraying some delightful passes.

Son - glad he scored and hopefully start adding to his tally.

Aurier - could afford to to stay in WBA half and better contribution in final 1/3rd..

Davies - provided little threat, but the game and opposition allowed him to advance more freely.

Hoj + ND - solid midfield partnership in the making.

Defence in general - little to do but composed, not so many hoofs.

Subs - As usual hardly time get in to the game as the rest had taken the foot off the gas.

Jose - Too early for a pat on the back. Let's see a follow up performance!

Team:
Definitely a bounce in everyone's stride. Return of Kane and clear the air meeting may have had the impact. Disappointed with some of the finishing having carved out some very good chances. Irritated by the foot off gas towards the end, need to rid that trait. GD may have a say at the end of season. Can't believe it was to preserve legs for the Cup game.

There was also (more than usual) animation on the touchline. Proactive?

Last edited:
He's like a masochist - a tornado chaser!. He gets the ball, takes on 3 players, comes out with the ball stuck to his feet and re-enters the tornado before he passes!

I agree, a quicker release of ball could make all the difference as otherwise he's becoming prone to losing it unnecessarily.

Lloris 6 - Not much to do but made that really sharp save down low which showed he was alert
Aurier 6.5 - No complaints. Looked a little more confident
Sanchez 7 - Did his job well
Toby 6 - He looks old now. He doesnt fill me with confidence. No major mistakes
Davies 6.5 - Mr Robot actually got out of his comfort zone and offered some attacking
Hojbjerg 7 - He did his job. Nothing more or less
Ndombele 5.5 - He has looked shattered lately. He needs to be on the ball more and the partnership with PH is getting better
Moura 5 - Headless chicken. He was lucky his pass to set up the goal worked out because it was not good, just like all the other passes he played
Lamela 8.5 - He tackled, he pushed, he pressed, he passed, he took the ball down almost every time and made us play. I dont really care about the outcome, the team needed someone on the pitch who wants to do more than just kick it. He makes the others want to play
Son 5 - He owes us a lot more than just being Kanes wingman. IMO he is very much one of the reasons for our poor play around the pitch with his poor choice of passes, lack of going for second balls and poor alround play. A goal doesnt hide this
Kane 6 - should have been subbed after 65-70mins. For this reason he gets marked down. His play was fine but he has again restricted our chances by another 20-30 mins of football

Subs
Bergwijn 5 - not impressed. He is 1 good game in 5.

Jose 4 - Its not rocket science

My ratings v WBA.
Lloris 6.5, Aurier 6.5, Toby 6, Sanchez 6, Davies 6 , Hojbjerg 7.5, Ndombele 6, Lamela 7, Moura 7, Son 7, Kane 8, Doherty 5, Bergwijn 5
Jose 6
As a comparison here are my notes on Hojberg and Ndombele taken while watching live.
Hojbjerg Good pass, good pass, good pass, good pass....half time. Good pass, Assist , Lost ball, good defence.

Ndombele....lost ball pondering, good pass, good pass, good pass. Half time, poor pass, poor pass.

Lamela was busier than Moura but Moura provided the run and assist.

vs WBA
Ratings are a bit higher than of late, but mustn't get too carried away, the quality of the opposition was really dreadful.

Lloris 6.5. Aurier 6.5, Sanchez 6.5, Alderweireld 6, Davies 6.5, Hojbjerg 7, Ndombele 6, Lamela 7.5, Moura 6.5, Kane 7, Son 6, Sub Bergwijn 5
Mourinho 6

The Sad One gets triple his normal score for fielding four attackers.

WBA weren't good enough for Aurier ever to look like making a mistake, whilst they also provided Davies the opportunity to get forward and offer a bit more than pure defensive work.

Surely time to be moving on from Toby, although I'm still more comfortable with him as one of the CB's when we are playing better opposition.

Lamela is on one of those spells where he really does look worth a place in the starting line up. It can't last.

Don't know why we bother with Bergwijn.

Clearly we are less sad with Harry in the starting line up. Even though his performance wasn't vintage Kane, his presence definitely acted as a lift.

Average player ratings against WBA across 7 media/web and 7 forum posters. Media in second column.
Lloris 6.14, 7.07
Aurier 6.50, 7.57
Sanchez 7.14, 6.42
Toby 6.50, 7.14
Davies 6.14, 7.14
Hojbjerg 7.07, 8
Ndombele 6.14, 6.71
Lamela.7.28, 7.57
Moura 6.14, 7.64
Son 6.35, 7.50
Kane 6.92, 8.28
Doherty 5.07, 6