Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City

When I've calmed down about the dangerously inept ref I think on reflection that was exactly what the players needed. A straight scrap against a talentless bunch of thugs; with our superior football simply embarrassing them for what they are.

That will have done wonders for team spirit.
The inept referee and his failure to punish their players has cost me a 16/1 win, 1 yellow card short for them. He's had a shocker.

FT. A thoroughly deserved win. Two very different teams and playing styles. Northampton were absolutely agricultural and the worse team I’ve seen for ages. For the Northampton fans to be cheering their first shot, ironically, after 82 minutes, them booing their manager really shows what they think of it all. I feel sorry for them. Lincoln, and especially Montsma, were assaulted time and again & how the ref couldn’t give a card for the assault on him was unbelievable - and then to give Northampton a dropped ball, so the decision went against Montsma 🤔🤬🙈😱. He booked two Lincoln players for technical offences but failed to issue any cards against Northampton players for their continued assaults on Imps players. Makes up for the 4 goals conceded against Sunderland. Onwards and upwards.
As an aside, I have to say Michael Hortin time and again got the Lincoln players wrong. He sometimes gets one or two players wrong per game but he did it countless times today, even giving one of Johnson’s goals to Grant. Sorry Michael but you really should know our own players by now.

Great performance though against the worst team we've played in the league, and by some distance. Hope no injuries, especially Montsma.

Ref atrocious, bookings for niggly stuff yet missed 2 truly dangerous challenges.

We are ( joint) top of the league!!

We are fortunate to have a team which includes such natural goal scorers as Scully, Hopper and Johnson. Well done today.

35 points from 18 games, joint top and with a game in hand. We would have taken that at the start of the season. With everything else that’s going on, it’s good to be an Imp.

A very solid win. For anyone who remains in any doubt - we are real team at this level, and are incredibly well coached.

I know you can only beat what’s in front of you but Northampton were probably about the worst side we’ve faced this year. In fact they made me slightly wistful of City sides of years gone past - no talent so just lump it up front and hope for the best.

Every chance the players and the team will get better in the second half of the season, with the coaching they are getting.

contrast that with the Northampton approach. will their players be improving playing like that, will championship clubs be looking at signing anyone from them? a young player is making a bad decision going there.

In Morton’s case, you can clearly see now why wba preferred Appleton to curle for the lad’s progression up to league 1

As others have said, a fair scoreline and the worst team we've played this season.

It's one thing for a team to play like Northampton do, relying on crosses into the box, free kicks, long throws and corners, but at this level they need to defend better.

I thought Johnson had a quieter game in the second half, but as he did score two goals maybe it wasn't that quiet after all. Man of the match for me.

Lots of good performances - arguably Scully's best game so far? Also particularly good from Hopper, Edun and Montsma.

I thought when the third goal went in it might have been an opportunity to take Montsma off to guard against him getting a second yellow, but he managed to avoid that - just.

When I've calmed down about the dangerously inept ref I think on reflection that was exactly what the players needed. A straight scrap against a talentless bunch of thugs; with our superior football simply embarrassing them for what they are.

That will have done wonders for team spirit.
As well as being joint top I think it most likely will be a motivator.