The Ross Barkley Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Ross Barkley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to recall we did reasonably well with another midfielder who was born in Liverpool.
His name was Morecambe or Mortimer or something like that.

Has McGinn ever played in front of the LB in his time at Villa. If he has I can't remember it and Smith would have had plenty of opportunity last season before his injury with Luiz on the right and Nakamba as DCM.
It's good that some people recognise left footers...Good for you!

Plenty of Chelsea fans seem disappointed with this move as well, which is usually a good sign. Seems he's just been pushed out by big money buys who are expected to play

Looking on the BBC page their fans seem mixed. And alot of Everton fans bemoaning his laziness and his lack of awareness of what's around him.

But much like Drinkwater I don't think it will hurt us too much if he doesn't work out. Less risk than him I'd say. And if it does work......jam on top!

Pleased with this, despite unease at the loan system. But the system is there, so despite the fact I'd like it scrapped for same division loans, we might as well take advantage. Wish there was an option to buy, seen a few times a player do great on loan then go back to their club and do well. But for this season, to push us onward, fair enough.

Pleased it is Ross, always looks quality to me.

Start the timer, my view of this type of signing is it gives us a 12-month headstart to find a list of suitable replacements should we fail to convince him to sign permanently. It also allows us to put away a few acorns for next season or pick someone else up in January for a bit of a boost.

I agree beyond this season I wouldn't be massively excited about taking someone on loan unless it was say Coutinho or someone of such immense talent we cant say no.

Looking on the BBC page their fans seem mixed. And alot of Everton fans bemoaning his laziness and his lack of awareness of what's around him.

But much like Drinkwater I don't think it will hurt us too much if he doesn't work out. Less risk than him I'd say. And if it does work......jam on top!

The difference is Drinkwater admitted he wasn't anywhere near match fit, and called himself a loaf of bread and Villa was a big wake up called how unfit he was.
He also had one full season without playing a game and another season having played 2 games, catching up on 3 pre seasons as well.

Barkley played 31 games last season totalling 1700 minutes, so it wasn't just the odd sub here and there either.

You just have to look at Barkley in the Villa kit and he looks fit as well, I've seen him play this season against Barnsley for 90minutes and he looks fit, Just behind too many quality players at Chelsea to start in the Premiership.

Who else can we upset ? :hehe:

Liverpool!

Have seen him play quite a lot over the years, mostly at Everton, from when he was a kid until Chelsea got him.
Always impressed by his ability and his two footedness. (Is that even a word. Anyway I'm sure people will know what I mean). My eldest daughter's ex boyfriend, a dyed in the wool toffee, used to tell me that Barkley was one of those players who needed an arm around his shoulders, when things weren't going 100%. If that's true I'm sure JT, Shaky and DS will step up if needed.
I was expecting he'd have spoken to Tammy quite a bit and from the interview he did and got a cracking good report.
Funny but, I have never seen him as a Chelsea player, he just doesn't fit that old look in my minds eye. Maybe it's me from the 1960's/70's, with the Osgood/Hutton Jack the Lad flashy type image.
Hopefully he can settle in quickly and enjoy himself here.

Liverpool!

Have seen him play quite a lot over the years, mostly at Everton, from when he was a kid until Chelsea got him.
Always impressed by his ability and his two footedness. (Is that even a word. Anyway I'm sure people will know what I mean). My eldest daughter's ex boyfriend, a dyed in the wool toffee, used to tell me that Barkley was one of those players who needed an arm around his shoulders, when things weren't going 100%. If that's true I'm sure JT, Shaky and DS will step up if needed.
I was expecting he'd have spoken to Tammy quite a bit and from the interview he did and got a cracking good report.
Funny but, I have never seen him as a Chelsea player, he just doesn't fit that old look in my minds eye. Maybe it's me from the 1960's/70's, with the Osgood/Hutton Jack the Lad flashy type image.
Hopefully he can settle in quickly and enjoy himself here.

I've said in this thread I think that he was never a chelsea player - and even if he wins PFA player of the year for us I still don't think he will go back to them.

I am hoping he chased the money and has seen there's more to it than that - and is now itching to be in a side who value him if he knuckles down to be the player he looked like he could be at the beginning. I really think this is a great move for us and him.

I don't think he would have made it at chelsea whatever he had done. Square head in a round hole.
:grinning:

The difference is Drinkwater admitted he wasn't anywhere near match fit, and called himself a loaf of bread and Villa was a big wake up called how unfit he was.
He also had one full season without playing a game and another season having played 2 games, catching up on 3 pre seasons as well.

Barkley played 31 games last season totalling 1700 minutes, so it wasn't just the odd sub here and there either.

You just have to look at Barkley in the Villa kit and he looks fit as well, I've seen him play this season against Barnsley for 90minutes and he looks fit, Just behind too many quality players at Chelsea to start in the Premiership.

I agree...this is not a Drinkwater scenario.

The players must have heard he was coming which might explain why Conor Hourihane was looking so moody lately!?
If you see his club interview he says he's talked to Jack about coming - that probably helped convince Jack to stay too. It's obviously been a done deal for a while which again says a lot about our current dealings - the press and pundits know very little.

It's more than that - he looks like he doesn't easily fit in.

That's just being a scouser mate :rofl:I reckon he'll be fine, has the quality and just needs an arm around him.

I think we're the perfect club for him if I'm honest, he's apparently on 96k not the 150k people talk about, So if he performs a blinder this season for us he might want to stay, it's just a bitch that he signed a 5.5 year contract back in 2018 so still has 3.5 years left.

Hopefully we've been shrewd and put a buy in clause.

That's just being a scouser mate :rofl:I reckon he'll be fine, has the quality and just needs an arm around him.

I think we're the perfect club for him if I'm honest, he's apparently on 96k not the 150k people talk about, So if he performs a blinder this season for us he might want to stay, it's just a bitch that he signed a 5.5 year contract back in 2018 so still has 3.5 years left.

Hopefully we've been shrewd and put a buy in clause.

I am really rooting for him. I like a redemption tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.