Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm

Yes Smith needs to start doing something other than alternating his 4 wide players in some vain hope it will come good

It is never ever acceptable to boo a Villa team or player. We have a choice, show some patience with Smith or start on the merry go round again. Thankfully i think the owners will stick with their plan and Smith. It will be worth it.

I am very glad that a few of you aren't in charge - always looking for a scapegoat (whether a player or a manager).

I'm also glad that someone devoid of emotional attachment to the club is making the decisions. People have really, really short memories. I can't be arsed to go and find the quotes in the Steve Bruce thread, but the games under him were dire this season, way worse than anything Dean Smith's offered.

You can polish a turd all you want but you end up with a shitty rag. This is a Steve Bruce squad devoid of two of the brightest sparks. We had a crap pre-season due to the financials and we all expected a relegation battle. News Flash - we have the same squad now as we did then.

Please get over yourselves anyone calling for a change in management, it ain't happening before next season. Years of mismanagement and poor recruitment take longer than a January window to rectify.

One question that everyone needs to ask themselves, would we be happy watching a Brentford style of football with better players? That is what Dean Smith offers, not immediately, but next season and beyond. It took Klopp a few seasons to get it together.
I was kind of with you here until you mentioned Klopp whose character, personality, record and style of play are all to be revered - full stop.

It is never ever acceptable to boo a Villa team or player. We have a choice, show some patience with Smith or start on the merry go round again. Thankfully i think the owners will stick with their plan and Smith. It will be worth it.

I love Dean Smith and he will turn it around but I reserve the right to boo if I want, how else do fans show their disapproval. It's a way of showing disapproval . I booed the ref as well or is that wrong as it's unlikely to make him any better

I have asked that numerous times and no one has an answer. As if Smith can conjure up world beaters out of thin fucking air.

I dunno a lad we've never seen before came from nowhere and showed a few up today by his willingness to have the ball and get involved, that's all i ask is the players give it 110% as Ron used to say

what great support that is. And we wonder why different players consistently come here and fail... they are scared that they will get that reaction if they have a few bad games

Different players come and fail mainly because of the manager. I’d also say because Villa have made them overnight millionaires and they are set for life

Surely it’s upto the manager and the set up to make them successful, not about getting booed.

I was kind of with you here until you mentioned Klopp whose character, personality, record and style of play are all to be revered - full stop.
Agreed, but the point was he had a mixed bag of results in his first season. A footballing philosophy takes a little time to embed.

Difficult times. Unfortunately this season is best used with an eye to the next. Even if by some miracle we could get back into the Premiership we are so far away from being ready it would be a very poor time. The Bruce strategy of using experienced players, while not a bad plan (we did get to play-offs) is not sustainable from a financial pov. So, by default, the way ahead has to be with younger and cheaper players. It was with this in mind that DS has been appointed. The question is whether he can manage a club like Villa where expectations are v different to Walsall and Brentford. Teams will always raise themselves against Villa (‘their big day out”). Can youngsters deal with these factors?

I dunno a lad we've never seen before came from nowhere and showed a few up today by his willingness to have the ball and get involved, that's all i ask is the players give it 110% as Ron used to say

He did ok, Smith obviously thinks he's ready for first-team football, and unlike the others didn't send him out on loan.

I'd start him at Stoke.

Kids are prone to errors, a whole team of them is potentially throwing them into the Lions den. Phasing in one at a time surrounded by a team of players who could compete - now that I could get on board with.

Kienan would be in my team now (provide he's fit).

I love Dean Smith and he will turn it around but I reserve the right to boo if I want, how else do fans show their disapproval. It's a way of showing disapproval . I booed the ref as well or is that wrong as it's unlikely to make him any better

Not with you on this one 57.....can honestly say I've never felt the urge to boo a Villa player during the game...and like you, I've seen plenty of shite over the years! Have done so collectively at the end of a game but no matter how crap Hourihane was today (and he was...again!) other than destroying his confidence and encouraging the opposition, how does singling him out like that help him/the club going forward? I don't get it and never will do, not during the game.