Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm

There's no guessing to it. Its been spoken about by the people at Brentford and was one of the reasons Warburton left as he wanted to have a say in what players came in.

Fake news. Read about Warburton on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Warburton

Warburton wanted the last say on players coming in, when the club wanted to introduce so-called moneyball methods (interestingly Warburton was sporting director before he became manager). Didn't exclude Warburton having a say at all.

Fake news. Read about Warburton on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Warburton

Warburton wanted the last say on players coming in, when the club wanted to introduce so-called moneyball methods (interestingly Warburton was sporting director before he became manager). Didn't exclude Warburton having a say at all.

I was listening to the Brentford chairman last week talking about their structure. Its been mentioned loads of times before as well. But no we have to pretend its all made up because we arent allowed to criticise Deano in any way, he gets a free pass for the next 5 years

The very fact we have such polarised views is telling in itself. It's been a largely disappointment of a season especially after the feel good factor of new owners and management etc. The debate on how we move forwards successfully is interesting for sure and none of it dilutes my love for the club.

You know that for certain then.. ?

You don’t - you’re guessing and jumping to a conclusion that suits your story.

As JPA intimated, he would have a very influential say in who plays on his teams.

Actually I do know that for certain and one of his old recruitment team died recently

I was listening to the Brentford chairman last week talking about their structure. Its been mentioned loads of times before as well. But no we have to pretend its all made up because we arent allowed to criticise Deano in any way, he gets a free pass for the next 5 years

Oh put your hand bag away. Of course you are allowed to criticise. Just as much as those amongst us can be pro Deano and criticise you for criticising.
In fact.....

So if we don't criticise deano in the way you do we're giving him a free pass? FFS.

The facts as I know them are:
Brentford had a fairly traditional system, alhough with a DoF, who at one point was Warburton. In his own words he clashed fairly frequently with the manager, but the manager had the last say. The manager leaves and Warburton takes over, having the last say. After a bit the owner decides to tweak the recruitment process and introduces a recruitment team incorporating, very loosely speaking, moneyball ideas. Warburton would be part of the team but would no longer have the last say. Warburton leaves. Smith is appointed. Smith is part of the recruitment team, but doesn't have a veto. But to pretend he doesn't have a big say is nonsense.

Smith comes here to essentially the same system, and is part of a 3 man team. Team = they work together.

I’d find it very strange if Smith had no say on transfers that whilst he was the Brentford boss they signed Henry and Sawyers from Walsall. Two players he obviously rated when working with them previously.

Must just have been mere coincidence that they fit in the statistical recruitment method of identifying players then. :yes:

Apparently a local Sunday League pub team who haven't won a game in 5 years have offered to play Villa in a friendly. The bookies have already made the pub team favourites to win. Deano was involved in a mishap and he came around in a new housing estate. "Where am I?" he asked "You're in a Beazer Homes" replied the kind man who found him. "Holy crap", exclaimed Smith, "What the hell happened in League 1 and 2?"

I think people are missing the point.

My point is do you think our recruitment team is capable of unearthing such gems.

Apparently a local Sunday League pub team who haven't won a game in 5 years have offered to play Villa in a friendly. The bookies have already made the pub team favourites to win. Deano was involved in a mishap and he came around in a new housing estate. "Where am I?" he asked "You're in a Beazer Homes" replied the kind man who found him. "Holy crap", exclaimed Smith, "What the hell happened in League 1 and 2?"

Preferred the Barry Fry version many year ago (who has just been done for illegal activity and resigned at Peterborough) :lol::lol::lol:

I think people are missing the point.

My point is do you think our recruitment team is capable of unearthing such gems.

Dunno. Only time will tell. See where we are in 18 months time.

But ... they haven't started badly. Kalinic seems OK to me, load better than Nyland, but we really need the rest of the season to tell. Mings looks fine, Hause looks promising after a shaky start. Carroll dunno. On paper the French bloke seems OK.

The summer transfer window will be a good test.

Don't think anyone is suggesting that Dean Smith is the second coming, nor that he got Brentford playing like Brazil.

I am suggesting that he over performed at Walsall and Brentford with limited resources and played an attacking, quick passing, possession based football. While the results were not stella, it has earned him the opportunity to create something at Aston Villa.

Nine senior pros will be out of contract this season and this is our first opportunity to install a new philosophy and reduce the age profile of the squad and the expenditure. Smith will be the start of this change in philosophy, whether he will take us up, make us competitive in the PL remains to be seen. I believe Lambert was appointed to deliver this but failed to follow through and lost the plot under the weight of expectation.

Dean Smith will get my support as we need to undertake this overdue change. He has as good a chance as most other managers to succeed, so I am suggesting that we all understand the current constraints he is working under and finally understand that we should have done this years ago. It will be painful and possibly a bumpy ride.