Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm

Not with you on this one 57.....can honestly say I've never felt the urge to boo a Villa player during the game...and like you, I've seen plenty of shite over the years! Have done so collectively at the end of a game but no matter how crap Hourihane was today (and he was...again!) other than destroying his confidence and encouraging the opposition, how does singling him out like that help him/the club going forward? I don't get it and never will do, not during the game.

Hourihane doesn't have any confidence to destroy, I loathe the bloke and i didn't boo him as I said, just cheered the new lad on who I thought did well full of confidence

Agreed, but the point was he had a mixed bag of results in his first season. A footballing philosophy takes a little time to embed.
You still cannot in any way use his his name or anything to do with him for your purposes. If you are alluding to his first season in the PL, he still finished a miserable eighth. He only started in October that season, then he had emergency surgery. His record is beyond reproach.

You still cannot in any way use his his name or anything to do with him for your purposes. If you are alluding to his first season in the PL, he still finished a miserable eighth. He only started in October that season, then he had emergency surgery. His record is beyond reproach.
Do I detect a man crush 67 :love:. TBF the scallies don't deserve him. He'd look good in claret and blue. Hell yes, you've convinced me, sign him up (even though he doesn't have 4 promotions)

Difficult times. Unfortunately this season is best used with an eye to the next. Even if by some miracle we could get back into the Premiership we are so far away from being ready it would be a very poor time. The Bruce strategy of using experienced players, while not a bad plan (we did get to play-offs) is not sustainable from a financial pov. So, by default, the way ahead has to be with younger and cheaper players. It was with this in mind that DS has been appointed. The question is whether he can manage a club like Villa where expectations are v different to Walsall and Brentford. Teams will always raise themselves against Villa (‘their big day out”). Can youngsters deal with these factors?
Thats' the same what I think. DS was used to manage "small clubs" by all respect. Newcastle have shown, they stuck to an experienced manager and got promoted, maybe we should also look for an experienced manager for long term but I have no clue who? The slip started when Gerard Houlier (who was the right manager for me) retired...

Basic problem is that we have a huge gap in midfield, one we can't fill at the moment. Not everybody has the instincts to pull the strings, which maybe OK if you have one or two which do, but at the moment we have nobody. Take McGinn; he provides a dynamism which we sorely needed when he arrived, but he's not a creative midfielder. Hourihane has some useful skills, but strikes me that his reactions are too slow. El Ghazi looks as though he has trickery which can get the better of defenders, but so far he hasn't shown much creativity in setting up other players. And so on.

I have hopes of Green, but he's essentially an attacker, not a creator. Maybe Albert's the best we've got but it's not enough. It'll be interesting to see how/if we improve when Jack gets back.

We are where we are. The only thing Dean can do is persevere. McGinn being out may be a blessing; he can recharge his batteries, and just maybe we will fall into another solution.

Inevitable that McGinn was going to get booked and receive his two match ban at some point.....thank God he won't miss the Blues game. The season may be drifting away but having the chance to put out our strongest possible eleven against that lot is a must!

PVB, serious question, can you show us all your team that are not injured, that could have competed today? I just don't think there are many options personally.
Thats bollocks.
We have players out on loan and under 23s. Leeds beat us with a bench full of kids. 4.4.2 , 3 5, 2, 4., 3.,3 different formations but we stick with a fuckin player that strolls around, can't run, can't tackle and scores the odd goal. We may not be good enough for the play offs but by christ there is enough there to compete, basic requirement. Forget being skillfully, run your bollocks off first then do the rest.

Thats bollocks.
We have players out on loan and under 23s. Leeds beat us with a bench full of kids. 4.4.2 , 3 5, 2, 4., 3.,3 different formations but we stick with a fuckin player that strolls around, can't run, can't tackle and scores the odd goal. We may not be good enough for the play offs but by christ there is enough there to compete, basic requirement. Forget being skillfully, run your bollocks off first then do the rest.

The players out on loan are out on loan; we can't play them. And that's the best way of getting them up to speed for the pressure of real football.

When we've tried to play U23s in things like cup games they've flopped; they aren't ready for it. Hourihane does better than anybody else in the side for assists. Individually our midfielders aren't bad. Collectively there's something missing. He's injured and we don't have that sort of player as backup.

Think it's called 'selective memory' Yank. Afraid posting anything resembling a counter argument which may suggest that Smith's tenure thus far hasn't been the disaster that some are suggesting is just not acceptable. 'He's shit, useless, out of his depth and deserves no time to mould a squad".....that's it...end of!
Like I said a couple of days ago get The pitch forks out, put petrol on the straw torches and let’s get rid of this horrible Demon Smith

Like I said a couple of days ago get The pitch forks out, put petrol on the straw torches and let’s get rid of this horrible Demon Smith
And none of it solves anything. We can only watch, wait and continue to support. The owners will decide the future of the club, the manager, the players and as I said earlier, I'm glad they are dispassionate and objective.

So how long will you give the next boss? Couple of weeks until we played badly and get beaten. And repeat until when??
When we’re in the Conference?

No but most managers are given the players and have to work with what they've been given. The fact that he plays the same muppets in a system that doesn't work fills me with no confidence at all.
I see nothing that makes me think he's got what it takes.

Absolute rubbish from start to finish. As soon as Tammy missed the sitter I said to junior 1 that we would regret it .

And it's the aforementioned junior 1 that sums it up perfectly.

He likes his football, he's villa, he plays on a weekend and doesn't come along to games often at all. In truth F1 is his passion.

He nailed it completely in his assessment of the main issue. It took no time at all for someone that doesn't see us live often to see problem . The non existent, passive, slow midfield.
Whelan he credited with something. He's limited but does what he does with effort but it's not up to what's needed. SJG excused.
Hourihane awful, Elmo awful, Green awful . So that's 4 of the midfield 5 not functioning. A third of the team.

And like I said to him. There isn't any options.
Don't play Hourihane, play Barney. Don't play Whelan play Jedi. Don't play Green, play Adomah, don't play Elmo , play El Ghazi. Sorry those are not inspiring alternatives.