Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm

You missed the entire month of November where we scored 17 goals in 5 matches taking 13 of 15 points? I’m sorry, that was the best Villa have played in years, shame you missed that

Yes I missed that as I’m looking at since then. Not been great has it, in fact awful

What was the feedback on young Jacob Ramsey that came on...?

The boy did ok. One or two mistakes and misplaced passes, but showed for the ball, got himself involved, looked to make himself an option down the left. Good experience for the lad - he might get a game next week with McGinn suspended.

On that note the referee was abysmal - ridiculous yellow cards in the game where there were no challenges worthy of them, imho.

What was the feedback on young Jacob Ramsey that came on...?

He did OK at 1st I thought. But as we got more desperate and shapeless he faded away. Got into a few good positions but didn't receive the pass when he was in space. We certainly didn't get any worse after he came on.

I am very glad that a few of you aren't in charge - always looking for a scapegoat (whether a player or a manager).

I'm also glad that someone devoid of emotional attachment to the club is making the decisions. People have really, really short memories. I can't be arsed to go and find the quotes in the Steve Bruce thread, but the games under him were dire this season, way worse than anything Dean Smith's offered.

You can polish a turd all you want but you end up with a shitty rag. This is a Steve Bruce squad devoid of two of the brightest sparks. We had a crap pre-season due to the financials and we all expected a relegation battle. News Flash - we have the same squad now as we did then.

Please get over yourselves anyone calling for a change in management, it ain't happening before next season. Years of mismanagement and poor recruitment take longer than a January window to rectify.

One question that everyone needs to ask themselves, would we be happy watching a Brentford style of football with better players? That is what Dean Smith offers, not immediately, but next season and beyond. It took Klopp a few seasons to get it together.

You're brave posting this Merd as those sharpening their knives are out in force....but completely correct. I've seen some posts suggesting they're starting to 'hate' Dean Smith. How you can 'hate' the bloke is just beyond me. Quite extraordinary! Every manger will ultimately be judged on results and Smith is no different. Things aren't going well and of course questions should be asked. It's the venom from some, which comes with it that I can't get my my head round and the total reluctance to give time to anyone. Things don't go well, four months in..."sack the manager, he's clueless, he's out of his depth"..... it's pathetic! He has to be given the opportunity to reshape the team in the summer, get his own men in and only then can he be fairly judged. And I so hope he does what Farke has done at Norwich....struggled last season, had last summer and what a transformation despite starting slowly this season....to shove the words down the throats of those who are so quick to judge him at this point in time would be a pleasure to witness!

Yes I missed that as I’m looking at since then. Not been great has it, in fact awful

Looking at since then? Since the team lost its 2 best CBs and best player in the championship?

No we’ve been utter shit since then and have gotten horrible luck with officiating to make things worse. But to completely ignore that run of form to support your “the manager is shit and shown nothing to say he will ever be decent” is rather ignorant mate.

I didn't agree with the reception Hourihane got when he went off but I'm not surprised by it. He was awful. Didn't seem to try to do anything all game and was partly responsible for the second goal. Then when he's deservedly being hooked he walks off as if he were having a casual Sunday morning stroll.

The moment that really summed him up for though was during the 1st half. Kalinic claim a cross then sprints to the edge of the box to try and get in a good position to throw out and launch a counter and Hourihane is just standing there on the 18 yard line. No intention of busting a gut to get upfield.

You're brave posting this Merd as those sharpening their knives are out in force....but completely correct. I've seen some posts suggesting they're starting to 'hate' Dean Smith. How you can 'hate' the bloke is just beyond me. Quite extraordinary! Every manger will ultimately be judged on results and Smith is no different. Things aren't going well and of course questions should be asked. It's the venom from some, which comes with it that I can't get my my head round and the total reluctance to give time to anyone. Things don't go well, four months in..."sack the manager, he's clueless, he's out of his depth"..... it's pathetic! He has to be given the opportunity to reshape the team in the summer, get his own men in and only then can he be fairly judged. And I so hope he does what Farke has done at Norwich....struggled last season, had last summer and what a transformation despite starting slowly this season....to shove the words down the throats of those who are so quick to judge him at this point in time would be a pleasure to witness!
And you call me brave!! We all need to keep our heads now. For better or worse we have Dean Smith as our manager, let's stick with it until he has a settled team bought for a purpose.

You missed the entire month of November where we scored 17 goals in 5 matches taking 13 of 15 points? I’m sorry, that was the best Villa have played in years, shame you missed that

Think it's called 'selective memory' Yank. Afraid posting anything resembling a counter argument which may suggest that Smith's tenure thus far hasn't been the disaster that some are suggesting is just not acceptable. 'He's shit, useless, out of his depth and deserves no time to mould a squad".....that's it...end of!

Better players?

Kalinic, Hause, injured Swansea unknown that’s the transfers so far, admittedly in January window. How can you compare Klopp aswell, hilarious.

Wouldn’t you see a bit of the so called Brentford/Brazil style football?? Not seen any yet
You read that in my post?

Looking at since then? Since the team lost its 2 best CBs and best player in the championship?

No we’ve been utter shit since then and have gotten horrible luck with officiating to make things worse. But to completely ignore that run of form to support your “the manager is shit and shown nothing to say he will ever be decent” is rather ignorant mate.

Lost its 2 best CBs and the best player in the championship, utter rubbish on both counts.

Oh and and where you get the manager is shit and shown nothing from?????

He is showing and demonstrating his ability isn’t he. Oh it ain’t great with some overpriced overpaid overated players mind

I didn't agree with the reception Hourihane got when he went off but I'm not surprised by it. He was awful. Didn't seem to try to do anything all game and was partly responsible for the second goal. Then when he's deservedly being hooked he walks off as if he were having a casual Sunday morning stroll.

The moment that really summed him up for though was during the 1st half. Kalinic claim a cross then sprints to the edge of the box to try and get in a good position to throw out and launch a counter and Hourihane is just standing there on the 18 yard line. No intention of busting a gut to get upfield.

Hourihane never does anything, It not some sort of new phenomena, gets away with things as he scores the old goal or free kick . He is basically very limited for a central midfielder.

How many more fuckin times will we play the same team and formation and expect a different outcome? Hourihane is diabolical, as is whelan as is hutton. Ffs.
PVB, serious question, can you show us all your team that are not injured, that could have competed today? I just don't think there are many options personally.

For me the only thing you can put on Smith is his stubbornness to continue with this 4-3-3 that doesnt work without Jack. Needs to make an adjustment other than changing who plays the wing