Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm

Just got home and feeling somewhat depressed about all things Villa. Thought we matched them in the opening 30 minutes and as the yank says above of Tammy puts away his chance it's a completely different game. I'd appreciate someone telling me what exactly happened with the 1st goal, I sit in the upper North and thought it had gone onto the roof of the net till they started celebrating. The second was obviously a flukey deflection abley set up by conner hologram.

Second half they just sat back and we didn't have enough to break them down. Sad that even after all the players we've bought and money we've spent we're totally reliant on 1 man to be the creative spark.

Defensive wise we weren't too bad. Mings was good again and Hause improved hugely I thought, definitely worth a run at left back based on this game. Attack wise Tammy could and perhaps should have had 2. Green got chopped down whenever he beat his man it seemed. I groaned when I saw elmo was in but to be fair to the bloke he did ok. Can't beat a man or cross a ball still but he pressed and harried their defence all game.

Midfield is the problem area now. McGinn was decent as ever but will now be suspended I understand. Whelan did what he normally does. Hourihane though. Not only was he partly responsible for the second goal but all game he just didn't seem to want to take any chance whatsoever. He either plain refuses to turn and face the opposition goal or dawdles so long that he ends up going backwards. He was awful and fully deserved to be hooked for a 17 year old who'd never kicked a ball in a pro game before. I didn't ironically cheer the sub or boo him off but I would not start him next week even without McGinn.

Another rubbish afternoon at villa park alas but I'm not entirely convinced we deserved to lose. We don't have any spark in us though. I look at the current fully fit players we have and I can't think of top many ways we can change things. 3 at the back? 4-4-2? Still doesn't change that we've no midfield to speak of. McGinn and who? Whelan, Jedinak, Bjarnason and hourihane will all be the same as they've ever been.

Thank you Villa for ruining ANOTHER wekeend!
Why can't we perform like against Birmingham, Derby and Middlesbrough when Smith took over? Theese are the same players! I will never understand.
Kodjia was our top Scorer two years ago! Think we will be another ten years in this league but maybe it's good,at least it's not so boring like the Prem or the Bundesliag. I hope the money clowns of the top six in the Prem will create their own Dream-League asap and fuck off!

I am very glad that a few of you aren't in charge - always looking for a scapegoat (whether a player or a manager).

I'm also glad that someone devoid of emotional attachment to the club is making the decisions. People have really, really short memories. I can't be arsed to go and find the quotes in the Steve Bruce thread, but the games under him were dire this season, way worse than anything Dean Smith's offered.

You can polish a turd all you want but you end up with a shitty rag. This is a Steve Bruce squad devoid of two of the brightest sparks. We had a crap pre-season due to the financials and we all expected a relegation battle. News Flash - we have the same squad now as we did then.

Please get over yourselves anyone calling for a change in management, it ain't happening before next season. Years of mismanagement and poor recruitment take longer than a January window to rectify.

One question that everyone needs to ask themselves, would we be happy watching a Brentford style of football with better players? That is what Dean Smith offers, not immediately, but next season and beyond. It took Klopp a few seasons to get it together.

Definitely the best Hause has played. They got 2 quickfire goals at the end of the half and shut up shop for the rest of the game. Nothing is going our way at the moment.

Jack should be back next week, so at least there's that.

Been looking at the replay. Tammy should have scored a couple. Pity. Dead right, things aren't falling for us at the moment.

Don't think Jack will be back next week, sounded like he needs at least a couple of weeks more.

Absolutely. He’s been shite lately but clearly lost all confidence and booing won’t help. With McGinn missing two games there’s nobody else. Hate what I’ve seen in recent months but NEVER boo a villa player please

I would agree with this - I will stick with Villa through thick and thin as it is in the blood.
The player must however look at himself. Villa fans will never get on the back of any player providing they give everything for the shirt. We have had some average players over the years bu they always gave, to quote Ron Saunders, 110% for the cause. Strolling around and not breaking a sweat is never going to endear the players to the fans - sadly in the current team there are far too many that don't give 50% never mind 110%. Other teams - Brentford and Sheff Utd as examples - put in the effort, chase back, close down players and win the 2nd balls. If our players did that then they good get cheers all the time - sadly we don't see it that often.
This is why we have to get rid of the non-triers and crisp packets and bring in young kids with desire and ambition as it is the only way out of this league.

The big problem though Rev’d is nobody will want them
Remember the old adage,fulford. There's always someone daft enough. On reflection that someone is Aston Villa f.c. on the bright side a fair number of the underperforming players are out of contract this close season. Dean is no miracle worker and deserves a full season to rebuild our squad. Downside in the short term is the absence of tuanzebe, grealish, Chester and mcginn. Arguably our four best players apart from Tammy. On the plus side,a decent crowd but renewal time is approaching but our new owners will hopefully give Smith longer to show what he can do. He will know that a difficult time awaits and l,for one, wish him the very best.

Just home, I thought we were better than them for the full 90 minutes without working Johnstone anywhere near hard enough. Two flukey goals did us.

As for the booing of Hourihane, utterly disgraceful. I wanted him off as much as everyone else but that reaction was pathetic and embarrassed us as a fan base. Fuck off to the away end if you want to boo Villa players in a derby. ?

I think they were booing because he would not get off the bleedin pitch

I am very glad that a few of you aren't in charge - always looking for a scapegoat (whether a player or a manager).

I'm also glad that someone devoid of emotional attachment to the club is making the decisions. People have really, really short memories. I can't be arsed to go and find the quotes in the Steve Bruce thread, but the games under him were dire this season, way worse than anything Dean Smith's offered.

You can polish a turd all you want but you end up with a shitty rag. This is a Steve Bruce squad devoid of two of the brightest sparks. We had a crap pre-season due to the financials and we all expected a relegation battle. News Flash - we have the same squad now as we did then.

Please get over yourselves anyone calling for a change in management, it ain't happening before next season. Years of mismanagement and poor recruitment take longer than a January window to rectify.

One question that everyone needs to ask themselves, would we be happy watching a Brentford style of football with better players? That is what Dean Smith offers, not immediately, but next season and beyond. It took Klopp a few seasons to get it together.

Better players?

Kalinic, Hause, injured Swansea unknown that’s the transfers so far, admittedly in January window. How can you compare Klopp aswell, hilarious.

Wouldn’t you see a bit of the so called Brentford/Brazil style football?? Not seen any yet

Just got home and feeling somewhat depressed about all things Villa. Thought we matched them in the opening 30 minutes and as the yank says above of Tammy puts away his chance it's a completely different game. I'd appreciate someone telling me what exactly happened with the 1st goal, I sit in the upper North and thought it had gone onto the roof of the net till they started celebrating. The second was obviously a flukey deflection abley set up by conner hologram.

Second half they just sat back and we didn't have enough to break them down. Sad that even after all the players we've bought and money we've spent we're totally reliant on 1 man to be the creative spark.

Defensive wise we weren't too bad. Mings was good again and Hause improved hugely I thought, definitely worth a run at left back based on this game. Attack wise Tammy could and perhaps should have had 2. Green got chopped down whenever he beat his man it seemed. I groaned when I saw elmo was in but to be fair to the bloke he did ok. Can't beat a man or cross a ball still but he pressed and harried their defence all game.

Midfield is the problem area now. McGinn was decent as ever but will now be suspended I understand. Whelan did what he normally does. Hourihane though. Not only was he partly responsible for the second goal but all game he just didn't seem to want to take any chance whatsoever. He either plain refuses to turn and face the opposition goal or dawdles so long that he ends up going backwards. He was awful and fully deserved to be hooked for a 17 year old who'd never kicked a ball in a pro game before. I didn't ironically cheer the sub or boo him off but I would not start him next week even without McGinn.

Another rubbish afternoon at villa park alas but I'm not entirely convinced we deserved to lose. We don't have any spark in us though. I look at the current fully fit players we have and I can't think of top many ways we can change things. 3 at the back? 4-4-2? Still doesn't change that we've no midfield to speak of. McGinn and who? Whelan, Jedinak, Bjarnason and hourihane will all be the same as they've ever been.

A well balanced account JW. After being at the game this pretty much sums up what I saw. Actually thought up til their first goal it was one of our better performances for a while. Tammy puts away his one on one and could have been a different story. Ultimately though, not good enough, especially second half. A quick shout for the ref.....another clueless buffoon!

I remember in the 70s when Ron Saunders arrived at the club and there were loads in the Holte End moaning about the style of play and the managerial decisions. There was one big fat guy who used to bawl about getting rid of Saunders for a full 90 minutes. Thankfully, we stuck with him and he turned the juggernaut around. We have to stick with Smith and let him put together a team to challenge. There needs to be a mix of youth and experience for sure but beyond that they need to be energetic and want to succeed - sadly for far too many of this squad, Villa Park was their last big pay day to top up their pension pots.

That was pathetic, as the same as most of the games since they robbed us of two points. Easy for the opposition.

Better players?

Kalinic, Hause, injured Swansea unknown that’s the transfers so far, admittedly in January window. How can you compare Klopp aswell, hilarious.

Wouldn’t you see a bit of the so called Brentford/Brazil style football?? Not seen any yet

You missed the entire month of November where we scored 17 goals in 5 matches taking 13 of 15 points? I’m sorry, that was the best Villa have played in years, shame you missed that

Glad to see the majority on here are not over reacting! We nearly went into administration in the summer ffs with the dodgy doctor at the helm. now we should Be in much better shape with these experienced owners, who I do not believe will show any kind of knee jerk Reaction.

We do not have a divine right to the premier league and like any other team that goes up and stays up it takes a bit of time and a plan.

To suggest a managar change on the basis smith hasn’t not shown enough is laughable. So we pay how much compensation to smith, only to get another bloke in (who, by the way?) to then Sack him at the end of the season when he hasnt lived up to over inflated expectations, and pay him conpensation (all great for fair play) to then get some other bloke in and we keep doing this what, every 5 months?

Seems sensible.