January moves? | Page 7 | Vital Football

January moves?

I agree with you that Baines is on a high salary, however if a deal could be struck to take him on loan paying half his salary we would only be laying out about 650k. Given we would have to pay more than that, plus at least 200k in wages (10k per week) to the end of the season to any player we purchase I still think it is economically possible. If we go for any decent players in L1 or Scotland in January we will have to pay through the nose as they would no doubt be playing for clubs in the mix for the honours.

I think with regard to Burn, we may get an extension to the loan as he has not really been ripping up trees for us and if Brighton have been monitoring his progress may think he could do with more game time at championship level before taking him to play in their development side.

I agree with you that Baines is on a high salary, however if a deal could be struck to take him on loan paying half his salary we would only be laying out about 650k. Given we would have to pay more than that, plus at least 200k in wages (10k per week) to the end of the season to any player we purchase I still think it is economically possible. If we go for any decent players in L1 or Scotland in January we will have to pay through the nose as they would no doubt be playing for clubs in the mix for the honours.

I think with regard to Burn, we may get an extension to the loan as he has not really been ripping up trees for us and if Brighton have been monitoring his progress may think he could do with more game time at championship level before taking him to play in their development side.
We aren’t going to pay half of Baines’ wages. That’s 35k a week, over double what our current highest earner (Powell) is on. We never paid those wages in the Prem! It’s a non starter unless Everton fork up virtually his entire pay packet which they won’t do. Also take into account our current squad. Do you think they’d be happy if someone came swanning into the building earning five times what most of them are on? I get the sentimentality of it and the Royle links. But it’s financial suicide.

We aren’t going to pay half of Baines’ wages. That’s 35k a week, over double what our current highest earner (Powell) is on. We never paid those wages in the Prem! It’s a non starter unless Everton fork up virtually his entire pay packet which they won’t do. Also take into account our current squad. Do you think they’d be happy if someone came swanning into the building earning five times what most of them are on? I get the sentimentality of it and the Royle links. But it’s financial suicide.

Stranger things have happened, :yes:

I think the only way Baines comes back is if he takes a huge pay cut. Everton won't subsidise his massive salary as much as we'd need to afford him so Baines would have to volenteer to forgo well over 50k a week. It's not impossible as over his careers he's been keen to stay in the north west and has an affinity for the club but realistically I think it's unlikely any player would take that type of pay cut.

If he was available on loan I also think he would have a number of options that would probably be better than us.

January will almost be the litmus test as to the intentions or direction the new owners are planning to take. I still cant believe we were purchased to have us trundle along as we are...it is more likely to be either one of the extremes. Invest and go for it or asset strip when they get bored. I'm undecided which is more likely but if pushed think the latter just tips the scale.

I’m just as interested in what happens off the pitch. If they want a category two academy they’ll have to invest heavily in facilities including an indoor pitch and facilities. Then you’ve got the DW which is in desperate need of an “overhaul“.

I think criticism of the manager is the daft bit. We are missing our best players and I’ll say it once again, I don’t anyone could do better with the players at his disposal. Time the critics on this forum stuck to Football Manager on their computers and left the real stuff to Mr Cook.

I agree.

Evans permanent move from Shef U can be completed in January when the window opens, As far as I can tell (google) the window opens at "midnight" on 1st January. I don't know if midnight in this context is supposed to represent start of day or end of day.
Given that we play Shef U at 3pm on 1st Jan do you reckon there is any chance whatsoever that Evans will be eligible to play or is this yet another example of the shocking bad luck that we have experinced this season ?

I think everything is agreed on the transfer. I would imagine it becomes official as soon as the transfer window opens so he should be eligible.

Guys how about Freddie Ladapo from Plymouth to solve the striker problem?

Good pedigree - product of Crystal Palace's academy.

10 goals in 23 appearances this season, for a Plymouth side 21st in League 1.

Relatively young at 25. This could be the season that he comes of age and we could potentially save money through buying him now.

Affordable.

Watched him play Barnsley at Oakwell and missed some good chances, however his positioning and movement was very good and he has shown he's capable of scoring goals, albeit at a lower level.

Thoughts?

Affordable.

missed some good chances, however his positioning and movement was very good and he has shown he's capable of scoring goals, albeit at a lower level.

Thoughts?

Ticks all the box's & fits the job specification - give him a 3 yr contract and then loan him out to Doncaster.

Sorry , for being facetious but Ive never heard of him.

Evans permanent move from Shef U can be completed in January when the window opens, As far as I can tell (google) the window opens at "midnight" on 1st January. I don't know if midnight in this context is supposed to represent start of day or end of day.
Given that we play Shef U at 3pm on 1st Jan do you reckon there is any chance whatsoever that Evans will be eligible to play or is this yet another example of the shocking bad luck that we have experinced this season ?
That is a very good point.

My guess in Sheff U would've been sly enough to make sure move doesn't happen until after the game if they had the chance.

Good pedigree - product of Crystal Palace's academy.

10 goals in 23 appearances this season, for a Plymouth side 21st in League 1.

Relatively young at 25. This could be the season that he comes of age and we could potentially save money through buying him now.

Affordable.

Watched him play Barnsley at Oakwell and missed some good chances, however his positioning and movement was very good and he has shown he's capable of scoring goals, albeit at a lower level.

Thoughts?
Just had a look at his record he's only had this one good season at L1. Previous years he's either been non league or not done so well.

Ive not seen him play but juding his record i don't think it suggests he'd handle the step up.