January moves? | Page 6 | Vital Football

January moves?

I don't often disagree with your assessments TB, but once Burn goes, the thought of Bruce being the 3rd CB doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'll grant you what you say about James, but I reckon Chelsea might want a say in that.
My point being that we at least have cover at CB so use the budget to cover an area where we really do have a problem. I also don't think that Chelsea will be a problem with young Reece as he has already played in that position for them. If you are thinking he might be recalled, I don't think that is something they are considering at present.

Nah, with James, I just meant that playing him at CB might need Chelsea's OK. Wasn't aware he'd done it for them.

Still not comfotable with Bruce as sub.

For some reason Bruce has not even been on the bench for weeks, even though we have limited or no defensive cover on there. He is either injured or out of favour for some reason.
So, good enough or not, I don't think he is in Cooks plans currently

Its very depressing reading everyone thinking money will be tight. It sounds like everyone thinks the new owners are skint or have little money to spend if thats the case what was the point of it.

The point may have been Zakky that although they may have little or limited intentions of splashing transfer fees around, they may be happy to cover the ongoing operating losses (millions per year) whereas the Whelan family was no longer prepared to do so (not that we could blame them)

Its very depressing reading everyone thinking money will be tight. It sounds like everyone thinks the new owners are skint or have little money to spend if thats the case what was the point of it.
Well Whelan is one of the richest people in the country and sold the club and infrastructure to people he considered could move us forward so we must presume they must be loaded with money if they could do something that Dave couldn't.

Doesent fill you with much optimism does it, nothing I've heard or read makes you believe it's not just an investment company looking to make a buck. I hope I'm wrong

Wouldn’t be surprised if Chelsea recall James and loan him to a better team like they did with Izzy Brown a couple of years back. Or if they sell Zappacosta he could well be in their squad for the rest of the season. Also a good chance a Prem team comes in for him, Winstanley at Brighton has been sniffing around all season.

LB and CB are musts. If we manage to sell Powell for a couple of mill then a replacement for him. And finally a striker. If Morsy won’t sign a new contract, then sell him as well. Gary Rowett has wanted him for a while now since his Brum days so it shouldn’t be a problem getting a decent fee off Stoke.

Reece James is a quality player, and I've no doubt that he could slot in and do a fine job at CB if needed, but that would be a waste imho. He's great going forward as well, overlapping well and can put in a good cross. Losing that from our game would be detrimental if Reece had to sit back as a CB.

Hopefully Cedric and Chey will stay fit and that won't be an issue, but I'd prefer to have a recognised CB for cover, if only to make sure we can keep playing Reece as a wing back should Cedric or Chey get a knock.

C, I don't think we've much to worry about on the Reece James front. For a loan deal I think it's met and probably exceeded all parties expectations. The lad is playing week in week out, there is obvious evidence of improvement and development even in 4 months and is our player of the season so far. I can't for one minute imagine Chelsea wanting to interfere with this by loaning him to another championship club. There is also no way they will sell him given his obvious talents and potential - if we owned him then yeah we'd probably flog him but a club of Chelsea's stature don't. I'd imagine they'll loan him again next year to a PL club and then he'll be in their first team squad after that. I know they rarely get to bring their youth players into their first team but given his position I suspect this lad will be the exception to that.

I'd go further than that. Given that Reece is only 18, if he continues to impress as he has so far, I'd suspect that Mr Southgate may have half an eye on him, given his obvious love of bringing young players into the international fold. Can't see him getting the call whilst he's on loan with us, but he must be attracting some attention as an international prospect worthy of keeping an eye on.

At his age, to not only maintain the exceptional standard of play, but also the level of maturity and professionalism he shows week in week out is also a massive plus. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he was England captain in ten years' time.

I make no secret of my general distaste for loaning players, but having Reece play for us is a privilege. He's a phenomenal talent, and seems like a well grounded, pleasant lad with a great attitude as well.

Reece won’t go near the senior England setup until he plays every week at Chelsea I think. Mount at Derby was different because England need a creative number 10 and are light in that position. James on the other hand is stuck at RB which is one of the positions England are well stocked in. Walker, Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, Wan-Bissaka. That’s the difference between playing for a major club that gives you a chance (Liverpool) and one that doesn’t (Chelsea).

Have already mentioned this, and I agree that Baines would be a great shout. With the Royle connection this may not be as outrageous as it first appears.

Wages. Plus he still makes the Everton bench so they're unlikely to release him.

His wages could be covered by the fact that we do not have to splash out a transfer fee for him. I know its a short term answer but for the remainder of the season it makes financial sense, plus there is more chance of getting the right player in the summer when there is more choice.

Baines is on 70k a week plus he’s second choice LB so hardly a reserve team player. I’ve got more chance of playing for Latics than he has. We need to source the best LBs in L1 and/or Scotland and pay up. Ditto with centre back. We need three reliable first team CBs that can be trusted to play every week in the Championship and when Burn goes we’ll only have two.