January moves? | Page 5 | Vital Football

January moves?

I suggested you use your initiative by getting off your arse and down to games so you could answer your own question as to what dross we currently have and where we need to strengthen. My views are on this are well documented in other posts. Surely you don't need spoon feeding all the time?

you could again share with the forum your choice of players you would go for but I don't think you know yourself

Such an ambiguous question really as how can anyone have an idea of the budget there is for players. Who will be sold to free up some funds etc.
It is easier to see players that are not up to this level and who we need to move on but its total guess work to who we could possibly bring in.

Such an ambiguous question really as how can anyone have an idea of the budget there is for players. Who will be sold to free up some funds etc.
It is easier to see players that are not up to this level and who we need to move on but its total guess work to who we could possibly bring in.

Who says players will be sold?

You and t'other mon, players may be released like Gibson and Connelly as for the rest who knows

Such an easy task isn't it?
People must wonder why you have not taken up an illustrious career in football management.
Although I do hear it is a much easier job when you don't actually have to do it :fish:

You are too negative Ken. Hope you put has much effort in to getting behind the team tomorrow night.
You and Martinez are such silly billies really.

I'm wanted both in the past but think both would be very expensive now.

Mowatt is top draws but lost his way, he was always going to come good again. Could've probably got him for 250k last season when his stock bottomed out. No doubt he will be back at this level sooner rather than later.

I think Mowatt would be expensive but Kieffer Moore? Can't see him being valued at more than 3M tbh.

I think Mowatt would be expensive but Kieffer Moore? Can't see him being valued at more than 3M tbh.

We might not have 3m to spend Will. That's the point. Without knowing the budget we can only speculate. Given unlimited funds we could certainly get in the best players available however that is unlikely to happen and we will be looking at the bargain basement again.

For us 3m is a massive amount. I think realistically we won't be signing anyone for that type of fee. If it's true there are funds available in January i could see it being no more than 5m tops to spread across 4 or 5 new faces. But wouldn't be surprised if it was a lot less.

Some of the names I'd start sounding out:

I'd look at Olly Burke from West Brom and Maecus Maddison from Peterborough both exciting players who's stock has massively dropped but will come back and be stars - so now is a good time to get them much cheaper than you would in the past worth sounding out a price.

We are desperate for a 6'5 monster up front so maybe Matt Smith from QPR or Rudy Gastead from Boro as big target men. Both gone off the boil at current clubs but have been a real handful in the past - both need a fresh start and i think could do a good job for us. Or maybe Tom Eaves from Gillingham.

Ben Woodburn who we wanted in the summer hasn't been in the Sheff U side and is going to get recalled by Liverpool in January. I think he could be a good loan to take on as he's super talented but it would included the dreaded appearance clause.

Then look at the availability of players who have proven to be good at this level who took the step up but arent getting any game time like Elias Kachunga and Danny Williams from Huddersfield, Vydra from Burnley, Zahore, Madine, Ward, Mendez-Liang and Pilkington from Cardiff.

Plus experienced strikers not getting a game at Southampton like Long and Austin.

I keep hearing we are after the left back Wallace from Rangers in January too. He is getting on but has apparently been a top player for them over the years.

It would all obviously depend on availability, fee, loan, wages etc but there are some good players who are out of favour we could look at.

Last edited:
The squad is pretty big as it is, in order to sign players in January a couple of transfers out is necessary.

A left back is the only position we need a new player in regardless of players out.

Edit: Forgot about Burn leaving, a centreback is needed.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in the return of the injured from our own ranks over the signing of new players in January, honestly. I don't think we really need to splash the cash - perhaps a LB and a CB (one of which will likely be a loan after Burn leaves), but I think a near fully-fit squad will be more than enough to survive without the need to panic buy and risk unsettling the team.

As is usually the case with teams in January, I wouldn't expect anything more than minor tweaks and improvements to pad out the squad - certainly not any 'big money' signings anyway.

Last edited:
For us 3m is a massive amount. I think realistically we won't be signing anyone for that type of fee. If it's true there are funds available in January i could see it being no more than 5m tops to spread across 4 or 5 new faces. But wouldn't be surprised if it was a lot less.

Some of the names I'd start sounding out:

I'd look at Olly Burke from West Brom and Maecus Maddison from Peterborough both exciting players who's stock has massively dropped but will come back and be stars - so now is a good time to get them much cheaper than you would in the past worth sounding out a price.

We are desperate for a 6'5 monster up front so maybe Matt Smith from QPR or Rudy Gastead from Boro as big target men. Both gone off the boil at current clubs but have been a real handful in the past - both need a fresh start and i think could do a good job for us. Or maybe Tom Eaves from Gillingham.

Ben Woodburn who we wanted in the summer hasn't been in the Sheff U side and is going to get recalled by Liverpool in January. I think he could be a good loan to take on as he's super talented but it would included the dreaded appearance clause.

Then look at the availability of players who have proven to be good at this level who took the step up but arent getting any game time like Elias Kachunga and Danny Williams from Huddersfield, Vydra from Burnley, Zahore, Madine, Ward, Mendez-Liang and Pilkington from Cardiff.

Plus experienced strikers not getting a game at Southampton like Long and Austin.

I keep hearing we are after the left back Wallace from Rangers in January too. He is getting on but has apparently been a top player for them over the years.

It would all obviously depend on availability, fee, loan, wages etc but there are some good players who are out of favour we could look at.

As much as I'd like it to happen, I'll record myself eating my Latics reversible beanie hat if we sign a player of Vydra/Long/Austin's calibre. Surely we couldn't afford their price tag/wages, nor would I imagine they'd be leaping at the chance to join Wigan being brutally honest, at least at this point in time.

As much as I'd like it to happen, I'll record myself eating my Latics reversible beanie hat if we sign a player of Vydra/Long/Austin's calibre. Surely we couldn't afford their price tag/wages, nor would I imagine they'd be leaping at the chance to join Wigan being brutally honest, at least at this point in time.

Absolutely but I'd always sound them out and see what their availability or wage would be. You never know if you don't ask, if they are out of favour, getting older, coming to end of current contract and no one else is in for them you might get a chance of a loan.

A LB is critical. Robinson isn't good enough. He started well, but looks like he's been sussed out and is desperately lacking defensively. Sending him and Connolly back to Everton would be my first call.

Burn leaving for Brighton means we need another CB, even if it's only for cover (given that both Kipré and Dunkley are competent and are forming a decent partnership).

Beyond that, I'm far more interested in doing our best to retain Powell and Morsy than I am in new signings, since I don't think anyone's realistically available out there who could improve our squad once the injured list clears up.

I'm sincerely hoping that Shaun McDonald will be back soon though; I think he'd add some much needed creativity further back, so long as he's fit and is up to speed.

Whatever happens, I've got faith in Cook to get it right.

Centre Back is a position were we already have cover in the form of Bruce. There is also the option of moving James to centre back and Byrne to right back. So unless there is someone exceptional available I would stay with what we have. Left back is a definite problem and we need to sign at least two players for this position as we have no experienced cover whatsoever.

I don't often disagree with your assessments TB, but once Burn goes, the thought of Bruce being the 3rd CB doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'll grant you what you say about James, but I reckon Chelsea might want a say in that.