January moves? | Vital Football

January moves?

LOI TV

Vital Newbie
Anyone heard any names or have any ideas of players they’d like to see brought in in January?

Just a thought and is highly unlikely but it might be worth seeing if Pompey would take Kal Naismith back in a player plus cash deal for Ronan Curtis. Versatile forward, has picked up a lot of goals and assists. Would be a big statement from the new owners as there’s interest from the top championship sides.

Naismith is here for the full 3 years, no way any other club down the pyramid more suited to his ability could match his wages. Only hope is if Royle puts us all out of our misery and pays up his contract.

how about the lad from Rotherham ran us ragged every time we have played then strong lad puts himself about not like vaughan

how about the lad from Rotherham ran us ragged every time we have played then strong lad puts himself about not like vaughan

Cook had him at Portsmouth and he was released at the same time as Gary Roberts by Jackett. There was rumours both him and Roberts would be coming but we only got one of them.

So we had our chance to get him on a free and Cook mustn't have fancied him. Tbh I'd have preferred him to quite a few of the others we signed as he is a monster even if he's not that prolific he will cause teams problems with his height.

What I would do in January, if I were in Paul Cook's shoes -

⚫ Bring back Callum Lang from his loan at Oldham and select him on the bench, same with Ryan Colclough,

⚫ Release Darron Gibson (his contract is due up in Jan as it is) and give a space on the bench for Shaun Mcdonald (better player imo),

⚫ Make a move for a young striker, such as Karlan Grant at Charlton Ath,

⚫ Make a move for a young centre half such as Jack Whatmough at Portsmouth,

⚫ Work on defending set - pieces and retaining possession of the ball. Get back to the things that brought us to the dance in the 1st place,

⚫ Get deals over the line for players who have gone out on loan such as Cole and Walker.

Ah I thought it was a loan deal. However the other stuff still applies! I'll take one from the peanut gallery on RC though :party:

Last edited:
I am a great admirer of Macdonald Soccerates, however we have seen nothing of him since his injury and as we all know an injury like that can destroy your confidence and make you half the player you were. I am sure that the coaches are monitoring this in training and will decide the best route for him if he is ever to come back, however it seems that at the moment he is not ready.

As far as Lang is concerned I would love to see him back and in the squad, but not at the detriment of his future. To bring him back and sit him on the bench at a time in his career when he needs to be playing regularly would be counter productive. He is scoring goals, but at a lower level. He needs to continue scoring and building his confidence not getting thrown on at the end of games in a desperate measure to turn them around and destroying all the good work put in so far.

Your suggestions of players to bring in will inevitably be debated by the forum but we all need to remember any signings will be dependant on what budget IEC give PC to work with. Personally I would like to see the injuries to key players cleared up and contracts sorted for the likes of Powell and Morsy before we start to talk about who we bring in.

Especially last season because they didnt get 100 points!
What a daft statement, well part of it. Especially so last season yes because very few of them made the starting line up. The side was predominantly made up of Caldwell's players. Who of Cookies signings played regularly? Elder and the keeper. Massey and Dunkley were signed before he came and the rest were already here!!