January moves? | Page 8 | Vital Football

January moves?

I'd take a punt on Marcus Maddison from Peterborough. His stock doesn't appear to be quite as high as it was, say, 12 months ago, but he's someone that can change a game on his own and when Powell's out we've nobody that can do that.

Should've offered the 900k we spent on Lopes for him, or even bought him on deadline day instead of Windass.

Think you'd get him for under a mill now as he's been semi frozen out since everyone thought he was gone in the summer but move never happened.

Thing is though, Grigg has been the best striker at league 1 level pretty much every year he's been there. Wouldn't see it as a major forward step. Forgive my ignorance, but without knowing any more about him, at 25 it's nothing more/less than we already have

Regarding Ladapo, we need a striker with proven experience in the top two divisions. We’ve gone down the route of signing the best striker from the lower leagues and throwing him to the wolves up front on his own with no service. Unsurprisingly for Mr Bogle it didn’t work out and it won’t for this lad either.

Maddison would be a very good signing if we could do a cheap deal, which is unlikely considering their owner. It’s a gone a bit stale for him at Peterborough, a lot like it did for Dack in his last season at Gillingham. Everyone assumed he’d move in the summer, he didn’t and now he’s just going through the motions knowing he won’t be there much longer. A new club and fresh start would get him back to his best.

Ok, fair enough. How about Fraizer Campbell from Hull then? He is in very good form at the moment (8 goals in 21 appearances this season in the Championship, for a mediocre Hull side) and has a wealth of Championship and Premiership experience, having made 100 appearances in both leagues over the course of his career. At 30, he probably hasn't done as well as he would've hoped, but I think we could get a few good years out of him and his form this season has shown that he's still capable of performing at this level. He's their top scorer I believe. He would probably be a much better prospect for us than Ladapo.

Ok, fair enough. How about Fraizer Campbell from Hull then? He is in very good form at the moment (8 goals in 21 appearances this season in the Championship, for a mediocre Hull side) and has a wealth of Championship and Premiership experience, having made 100 appearances in both leagues over the course of his career. At 30, he probably hasn't done as well as he would've hoped, but I think we could get a few good years out of him and his form this season has shown that he's still capable of performing at this level. He's their top scorer I believe. He would probably be a much better prospect for us than Ladapo.
good one but maybee out of our price range

Given current direction of league position travel for both us and hull why would he make the swap ?

I think our best hope is loaning a striker from bottom end prem/top end champ club whom we pose no threat to. The club must see it that way also considering the two strikers we’ve been linked with are Defoe and Madine.

Clubs from the top end of the Championship always seem to loan their fringe players out to lower level clubs in the same league in January in the hope that they can help them take points off the promotion rivals of their parent club.

It's being reported West Ham have offered 15 million for Bradley Dack.
We had the chance to get him but didn't follow it up

I think every Wigan fan for the best part of 2 years said Dack would be their no1 pick of a signing - it was blindingly obvious he was going to be a top player you could sell on for a large profit. Yet our recruitment team didn't seem to notice - some of the absolute garbage we've wasted money on over the years and they didn't notice such an obvious gem.

It was madness when Blackburn offered 700k and we didn't match it - tbh we should've had him signed a year or 6 months earlier when inexplicably no one else went in for him.

I think our best hope is loaning a striker from bottom end prem/top end champ club whom we pose no threat to. The club must see it that way also considering the two strikers we’ve been linked with are Defoe and Madine.

Clubs from the top end of the Championship always seem to loan their fringe players out to lower level clubs in the same league in January in the hope that they can help them take points off the promotion rivals of their parent club.

Kachunga from Huddersfield if we arent going to pump it long.

If we going long i would try for Jukewitz at Birmingham. Should've signed him years ago, good target man and Birmingham in loads of financial issues so might have a chance if we offer decent fee.

I think every Wigan fan for the best part of 2 years said Dack would be their no1 pick of a signing - it was blindingly obvious he was going to be a top player you could sell on for a large profit. Yet our recruitment team didn't seem to notice - some of the absolute garbage we've wasted money on over the years and they didn't notice such an obvious gem.

It was madness when Blackburn offered 700k and we didn't match it - tbh we should've had him signed a year or 6 months earlier when inexplicably no one else went in for him.

To be fair at the end of our 2016 promotion when he got League One player of the season, Gillingham wanted big money and I'm sure they rejected a 2m+ bid from a Championship club. Fast forward 12 months, just a year left on his contract and off the field problems and fitness issues meant Dack had a very poor season compared to the previous and Blackburn got him on a cut price.

But you're right with regards to that fee and knowing what he was capable of when fully fit and focused, not making an effort to sign was crazy.

I suggested we sign him on here at the time. One or two had hissy fits asking us to trust Sharpe and Jackson saying he was shit. Mind you we'd have probably tried playing him at centre half or something and released him 6 months later so in reality we wouldn't have reaped the rewards of his talents.

I dont know much about Blackett to be honest but since Reading are in the relegation battle with us i can only see them being willing to sell to us if he's not doing well for them. If he's not doing well for them then it doesn't sound like the type of player we should be looking at.

Much prefer us to be looking at someone up and coming like Potts from Luton again rather than trying to do another rehabilitation job. As we've signed a fair few players written off by other clubs reccently and not had a great deal of luck turning them around.

As we all know, one teams deadwood is another teams star. Look at Dan Burn for example.
Never write a player off on the evidence of one game or the fact that the team as a whole is not getting results.
I have no evidence one way or the other about Blackett, just making the point. It may be only paper talk anyway

No issues with a player like Tyler Blackett. I was hoping he might be signed a couple of seasons ago.
However, the Wigan defence needs an older, experienced and vocal player to tighten things up at the back.
An experienced Stephen Warnock type left back would help with a young defence. Christian Walton, to me, still does not command his area like a seasoned goalie ... yet.
Hopefully the early attacking from the front style of play will resume once the injured players are back (fingers crossed).

Blackett’s one of those who is only at this level because he played for Man Utd otherwise he’d be far lower down.
I understand Reading are due a substantial influx of cash. If so I'm guessing they will be improving their squad significantly and looking to move on their deadwood.
New owners in fresh ambition shocker. If only we knew how that felt.