World Cup 2018 | Page 2 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018

Probably in the minority here, but I would take Hart. Not as the #1 mind but so there is some experience in the group and with tournament know-how. The squad is going to be low enough on it as it is. I think he'd fulfil that role very well.

My current squad would be:

GK: Butland, Hart, Pickford
DF: Cahill, Jones, Maguire, Rose, Stones, Trippier, Walker
MD: Alli, Dier, Henderson, Lallana, Lingard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Winks, Young
ST: Kane, Rashford, Vardy, Welbeck

I think this allows the team to easily alter between 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2 & 3-4-3, which I suspect will be the formations Southgate utilises.

I suspect my stand-out inclusion to most will be Welbeck. However, whenever he has represented England (normally on the left of a front three) he has performed very well. In fact I consider him to be one of those who is better at international level compared to club.

My biggest question mark was selecting Rose over Bertrand!

I like that squad. Walcott shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad imho. Goalkeeper is a serious concern. Hart is completely shot of all confidence and none of the others have any significant international experience. Southgate will have to assess which keeper he feels can handle the big occasion. That’s why the boy from Burnley might be the best option, as their manager is an old fashioned type who demands his players are mentally tough...

I can't see Ashley Young being in the squad, to be honest.

Danny Welbeck maybe, but not Young. And agree that Welbeck is definitely better for England than he is a club level.

I think Young could be in the battle with Bertrand. It cannot be argued he hasn't had a good season for United and he's now adaptable to play as both a full-back or wing-back on either side as well as in the wide positions. It's that versatility that would make me take him.

Having said that, I have missed Wilshere out so I could end up replacing him for Winks.

I can see the government stopping us from competing.

I won't give a shit either if Villa don't get promoted.

Tierney - 13/3/2018 18:40

I think Young could be in the battle with Bertrand. It cannot be argued he hasn't had a good season for United and he's now adaptable to play as both a full-back or wing-back on either side as well as in the wide positions. It's that versatility that would make me take him.

Having said that, I have missed Wilshere out so I could end up replacing him for Winks.

Young is definitely in form, but Southgate seems forward looking and Young may be a bit long in the tooth for his tastes. I wouldn't have an issue if he went, just can't see it.

And personally, I just don't rate Wilshere - style over substance for me. I reckon Grealish would bring more to the party than Wilshere, to be honest.

Fulford - 13/3/2018 22:03

I can see the government stopping us from competing.

It would certainly save on the inevitable embarrassing, lame exit as we lose on penalties to a Scandinavian country who have 3 professional clubs.

Don't know if the government are going to stop us competing, but I heard the England team will boycott the latter stages of the tournament... :3:

Apparently, the prime minister has said no government officials or members of the Royal family will got to the World Cup this summer as a measure against the poisoning of Sergei Skripal in Salisbury last week.

I bet Putin is gutted :3:

The Foreign Office is to supply England supporters attending the World cup in Russia with these Biological Chemical Protection outfits (below) for fear of Russian revenge over the UK's government recent explusion of 23 Russian KGB officers posing as diplomats in London.

Attachments

• 820854aef1c0c1c4e0bc4912d3ce5503--hazmat-suit-man-suit.jpg
    820854aef1c0c1c4e0bc4912d3ce5503--hazmat-suit-man-suit.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
Those outfits have a dual purpose. Yes, ideal against Biological Chemicals etc but also pretty good protection against any attack from Russian hooligans too.....

:14:

Couldn't care about this World Cup, FIFA , the corruption, Russia and its corrupt state and violence . Fuck it off already

The government should keep their noses out of the of it, the England players and even the fans have earned their right to go to Russia, politics should be kept well out of it. No one is gonna be bothered if we don’t turn up, it’ll only be effective if others do too and besides, we won’t be there long anyway!

Trying to take my mind off the layoffs for 5 minutes as I don't have any finger nails left.

Realised it is now less than 5 weeks until the World Cup kicks off.

I have a love hate relationship with International Football and England. Most of the time I hate it. It just gets in the way of watching Villa, and England always disappoint, but when the big tournaments come round I'm addicted.

I'll watch as much as I can (I'd usually watch 90% of matches), but this year I'm on holiday for 2 weeks in the middle of it so won't be as immersed as usual.

Anyway... if you're picking the England Squad now, who gets in?

For me it's -

Butland
Pickford
Pope

Walker
Trippier
Arnold
Bertrand
Sessegnon
Stones
Maquire
Tarkowski
Cahill

Dier
Henderson
Loftus Cheek
Shelvey
Alli
Lingard
Sterling
Lallana

Kane
Vardy
Rashford

That's the squad I would like.

In reality, he'll probably find a way of shoe horning the likes of Hart, Wilshere, Rose, Jones, Smalling, Delph and Young in.... but I hope not.

I’m not as hyped yet as I have been in the past for a few reasons; our season hasn’t finished yet, Russia shouldn’t be hosting it and England will disappoint as ever. Once our season is over I’ll probably be a bit more hyped for it, looking forward to getting my England 3rd shirt from 1990 on for its biannual outings.