World Cup 2018 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018

JuanPabloAngel

Alert Team
Following on from a few posts in the 'Other Clubs' thread, it occurred to me that the World Cup is only 3 months away!

Decades of underachievement have left me holding little hope of England doing anything of note in the tournament. We should get out of a group which includes Belgium, Panama and Tunisia, and our Round of 16 would be against either Poland, Japan, Senegal or Colombia. We might reach the Quarter-finals, but I won't be holding my breath.

Obviously, the season isn't over yet, and form and injuries could have a major impact on who is on the plane. As thing stand, this would be my 23-man squad:

3 x GK: Butland, Pickford, Heaton (if fit, Ben Foster if not)
8 x DEF: Walker, Trippier, Rose, Bertrand, Keane, Cahill, Stones, Smalling
8 x MID: Alli, Lingard, Henderson, Dier, Drinkwater, Sterling, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain
4 x STR: Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Walcott

I don't rate Eric Dier personally, but Southgate seems to love him and it's hard to think a fourth striker after Kane, Vardy and Rashford. Welbeck is bang average, Sturridge is permanently injured, but who else is there? Andy Carroll? Er, no thanks.

So, what do we all think? It will be interesting to see how this develops before the kick off in June.

Also, who are you backing to win it?

Yes it is 100 days today until it starts.

Foster is retired and I wouldn't touch Walcott with a barge pole.

The pool is very thin though , a lot of those players don't always play for their club sides.

Pope might squeeze in as a goalkeeper. Not much else in the pipeline unless he takes a risk with that kid Sessegnon from Fulham. He'll fit into a wingback role in a 3-5-2 setup eventually, although this world cup may be too early for him and he'll have to go and waste a couple of years on the bench for for one of the Sky darlings first.

Wouldn't say decades of underachievement. Thought under Erikson we did pretty well. In 2006 we'd have got at least to the semi-finals if Rooney hadn't shown his trade-mark attitude in stamping on an opponent's nuts right in front of the ref.

This time around don't know. Think Southgate has a different approach to his predecessors, which may or may not help.

Who I'd have an who I expect are 2 very different things.

In terms of who i want, I don't rate Smalling at all, I think Jones is the better of the Man United defenders.

Also as much as I likes just not playing enough for Chelsea so I'd be tempted to swap him for Alfie Mawsome who looks a player.

That midfield makes me want to cry. Henderson, Dier, Drinkwater and the Ox? Dear god.

Not sure we have many alternatives though. I'd rather see Sessengnon than Ox, and I'd rather see Grealish than Henderson but obviously thats never going to happen. I'd also probably have Wilshere in there above all 4 of those and I've never really been a Wilshere fan, but he's better than them 4.

Think the front 4 picks itself.

It's awonder why we do so shite innit
truly dismal list but really not much else to pick from
(defence & keepers can be cobbled together with Jones/Maguire in, attack is Kane anyway with Alli/Sterling/Lallana. It's just the midfield that's fookin horrific - all shite esp if wheelchair is carted in)

maybe we could try so of the exciting talent from the ones who did well in the youth cups -
what's that lads name Josh OhNo.......... summat like that

nah maybe not

ironside - 5/3/2018 19:00

Pope might squeeze in as a goalkeeper. Not much else in the pipeline unless he takes a risk with that kid Sessegnon from Fulham. He'll fit into a wingback role in a 3-5-2 setup eventually, although this world cup may be too early for him and he'll have to go and waste a couple of years on the bench for for one of the Sky darlings first.

I would of thought Pope would play for Italy........

:67:

Pride of Lions - 6/3/2018 12:35

More likely Argentina.

ironside - 7/3/2018 10:54

Pride of Lions - 6/3/2018 12:35

More likely Argentina.

Could he play for the Vatican?

I cant think that any manager of opposing teams would look at that lot and be the slightest bit worried. And what makes it worse is that is probably the best we have to offer.
I also think that with VAR and Russian thugs this will be a World Cup that will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

To be honest I think that's a decent squad. If Southgate gets them playing as a proper team, which is what I think he's trying to do, we could do quite well.

Its going to plan
Spurs out champs league good for Kane and co.
Foreigners in greed league knackered with no winter break.
Top players still in champs league
Gareth will use VAR to help England beat the cheating bastards

Our Gareth not as dumb as he looks

Don’t watch premier league loads so I’m not 100% sure on the players but my squad at the moment would be:

Pickford, Butland, Pope

Walker, Trippier, Rose, Bertrand, Smalling, Jones, Cahill, Stones

Henderson, Dier, oxlade chamberlain, Alli, Lallana, Wilshere, Walcott, Sterling, Lingaard

Kane, Vardy, Rashford