Women's Football (World Cups, WSL, Villa, the lot) | Page 49 | Vital Football

Women's Football (World Cups, WSL, Villa, the lot)

Can I ask a serious question of everyone here? Women's football has been all over the airwaves over the last six months. Now I admit to watching possibly 10 minutes of Villa ladies v Arsenal ladies but other than coming across the odd result, I have absolutely no affiliation with the Villa Ladies, England, Ireland or whoever and avoid watching it at all cost. From the very little I've seen of the sport, it's just not at a standard (yet) that I could possibly enjoy. Even the highlights on SS last night before empty stadia, piss poor defending and a series of ridiculous score lines were not exactly offering glowing references for the standards.

Finally to the question - do you think this "over exposure" will settle down to reasonable level given the level of entertainment on offer, or am I just being a sourpuss?

I've enjoyed some of the more serious and better matched games but never got into the WSL itself...I just like the fact Villa are building that side as well. I only watch the England lasses in proper competition and as said previously, just like I don't watch Academy stuff etc expecting men's football (although in time that's the aim), I don't watch the lasses expecting a men's game either.

I thoroughly enjoy it, but I wouldn't consider friendlies or the club side just yet.

Cant see a thread for Womens Football and cant find this posted anywhere else.
Coventry City's Womens Football team have gone into voluntary liquidation. They turned up to train yesterday only to be told they no longer have a team. I wonder if more will follow if the game is played without fans and teams struggle financially. It was on Sky last night and seen it reported on BBC this morning.

I have zero interest in women's football. Perhaps the girls would be taken a bit more seriously if they didn't all feel the need to wear the, "Weight reducing - little black number" on TV.

Oh dearScreenshot_20220211-191224_Gallery.jpg

Finally to the question - do you think this "over exposure" will settle down to reasonable level given the level of entertainment on offer, or am I just being a sourpuss?

I’ll start by clarifying where I stand on women’s football first - I have little interest in it however I think it’s great for those who want to watch and to encourage more ladies to play. I have a toddler and there aren’t far off as many girls learning toddler football as there are boys.

The coverage intensity seems to be a lot higher, the likes of the BBC and Sky are proactively covering the results, games and bringing a gender balance to the panels. It’s no different to my corporate company actually in terms of that trend.

What I suspect will happen, is that it will inevitably be at the mercy of the viewing figures. If the viewing figures are low, the cost of coverage and advertisement payback might not be worth it. If the coverage drives momentum and bigger audiences it’ll become more viable. I just think there is a very big difference between girls and women enjoying playing football, but then also becoming loyal fans of the female game. I suspect most females who enjoy playing football find the men’s game more entertaining which is more established, and when you scratch beneath the woke and madness of today’s world on these issues, it’s only a minority who are overly bothered about this overboard levelling of the playing field.

Just to add also, I have no problem with ladies hosting or on the analysis panels of the men’s game so long as they are knowledgable and don’t have an awful squeaky voice.

Can't say I watch much women's football bar the odd England tournament game or if the Villa ladies are on sky.

Also can't say I'm bothered by women pundits, be it on women or men's football. I find most male pundits annoying and clueless to be honest. And the argument that women haven't played at the highest level so can't be knowledgeable is a piss weak argument really. I mean Souness was one of the best midfielders of his generation and he was blaming long grass for us hammering Liverpool.

I also keep seeing people say its over promoted which might be true but its not like its everywhere is it. People don't have to click on articles, watch it on tv when there's probably 5 other live mens games on at the same time or even comment in the women's football thread on this fine forum if they don't want to. To be honest the paltry promotion and more money the women's game is getting is probably fair enough considering it was banned by the FA for what, 50 years?

Both the BBC and Sky are pushing it as they are both woke companies. It would be interesting to see what the viewing figures are like.
Just shows my level of interest in it, there's a live match on Sky and I'm watching a programme about trains.

Apart from the goalkeeping the standard is good at the top. I think BBC mainly push it, like most of what they still show, because it's cheap.

One thing that does piss me off is when they talk about “Arsenal versus Chelsea” say, and then it’s only after being confused you realise it’s the ladies game they’re on about. That isn’t a moan about women’s football I just like things to be clarified otherwise it’s confusing for the viewer.

I have no interest in women's football but I'm all for equal rights and equality so I will say some of them have cracking arses.

A win for the Villa women today. Looking at the table they're well clear of the relegation zone which I suppose was the aim.

There seems to be a huge gap within the league itself so I'm guessing its probably going to take time to get into a position to challenge for anything but the money involved isn't huge, compared to the men's of course. The world record signing for a woman's team is 300k. Personally I'd fine the mens team a weeks wages for their pathetic performance today and that would fund a bih transfer window for the ladies side.

On another note blues women are bottom of the table with 1 win all season looking dead certs for relegation. This is the one area they've consistently been better than us in and now that's over for them. It might not mean much to everyone but I want us to be superior to them in everything possible and now we are.