Women's Football (World Cups, WSL, Villa, the lot) | Vital Football

Women's Football (World Cups, WSL, Villa, the lot)

northamptonvillan

Vital 1st Team Regular
Thought I'd open a potential can of worms.

Man Utd have invested in a rejuvinated women's team and popularity is growing. With Birmingham City currently more successful, should Villa make greater investment in the female game. Are we missing out as a club? Would anyone watch? Does anyone care?

The crowd figures in this interview with Lucy Bronze of Lyon are interesting, surely the more fans associate with Aston Villa, the more secure the club's future will be.

"Lyon’s demolition of PSG took place in front of a league-record 25,907 fans, following record-breaking attendances for women’s games in Spain, where 60,739 watched Atlético Madrid lose 2-0 to Barcelona, and Italy, where 39,000 saw Juventus defeat Fiorentina. Bronze says it is not new and is not rocket science. “When we played Wolfsburg, when we’ve played Man City in the past two years, when we played in Barcelona last year, we would get in between 15,000 and 25,000. We’ve kind of always had that. "

While I wouldn’t be prepared to travel to Boldmere to watch them (quite a trek from where I live), they should be entitled to some investment to help them progress just like their male counterparts, it’s the only area in which our lovely neighbours are better than us and i doubt it wouldn’t be too difficult to overtake them with our rich owners, I’m not sure if the ladies game has FFP or anything though. Maybe a big game at Villa Park here & there would be good motivation for them to improve, cheap/free entry would get a good crowd.

I didn’t know about the Lyon game but I saw pictures from the Atletico v Barca and Juventus women’s games, I think both of those were helped by cheap and/or free entry for members and season ticket holders to get the numbers through the gates, it’s needed as I doubt people would go and pay what they pay for the men’s game at the moment but very good numbers nonetheless. When I was in Seville last week they played Real Betis v Sevilla women at the Betis ground, 25,000 turned up roughly on a hot Saturday afternoon ahead of the men’s game in the evening. Coincidence both the men’s and women’s derby was played on the same day.

It might get to the level of popularity of league 1 or league 2 at some point in the future but it is a fact women are not as physically strong, quick or as powerful as men so it will never be able to match the top men’s game

Women’s football is moving forward and being aired far more widely. We need to invest in it now. Leave no stone unturned in our pursuit of world dominance as a football club. If the women get there first good on them, and us!

Meh , I'd sooner watch an under 16's boy's team , in fact, the old side that I used to run would probably beat Villa ladies

Well you can all get stuck into me, but I dont care.
I couldnt care less about womens football. If they want to play the game great for them. But we have now got to the stage where we have to suffer womens opinions about every aspect of the game purely because the tv diversity officers say we do.
Match of the Day, Football Focus, the Championship on Quest, Five Live 605 all the FA Cup games. Clear off, go and talk about womens football, netball, knitting or anything you want but leave our game alone.

I definitely think the ladies team should be invested in, and the club should be looking to have the team as successful as possible (within reason financially) otherwise it's unfair.

I am very surprised however by those attendance figures, considering as a spectacle it's very poor compared to men's football.

I'll never watch it for the same reason I don't watch non-league football etc. It's rubbish.

I couldnt care less about womens football. If they want to play the game great for them. But we have now got to the stage where we have to suffer womens opinions about every aspect of the game purely because the tv diversity officers say we do.
Match of the Day, Football Focus, the Championship on Quest, Five Live 605 all the FA Cup games. Clear off, go and talk about womens football, netball, knitting or anything you want but leave our game alone.
#me too

Football is everyone’s game. What you’re saying is similar to saying ‘I don’t want any blacks in my game’, ‘I don’t want any gays in my game’. I was chatting to a lovely female season ticket holder in the Piccadilly Tap after the game yesterday in Manchester, the more the merrier for me.

Football is everyone’s game. What you’re saying is similar to saying ‘I don’t want any blacks in my game’, ‘I don’t want any gays in my game’. I was chatting to a lovely female season ticket holder in the Piccadilly Tap after the game yesterday in Manchester, the more the merrier for me.
Its not similar in any way shape or form. You dont know if I am black, you dont know if I am gay. With regard to the gay comment read my post to Simon on the football and mental health thread a few days ago.

Careful Wittonite next time you need a nurse and a male nurse is not available are you going to refuse to let a female nurse to treat you. You should remember this is the 21st century, not Victorian times. I support women's football, and anything else they want to do.
I dont really see the relevance re nurses to having women rammed down my throat by tv companies purley to meet diversity figures. I dont feel that any of them with the noteable exception of Gabby Roslyn add anything to the proggrames. Never been treated by a male nurse.

Careful Wittonite next time you need a nurse and a male nurse is not available are you going to refuse to let a female nurse to treat you. You should remember this is the 21st century, not Victorian times. I support women's football, and anything else they want to do.
I also support their forays into the kitchen, getting my tea on time, applying the right amount of sugar to my brew. Also the cleaning of me and my children’s clothing in a timely manner. To be honest they have never had it so good, still not sure about the vote, but too late now to question

Its not similar in any way shape or form. You dont know if I am black, you dont know if I am gay. With regard to the gay comment read my post to Simon on the football and mental health thread a few days ago.

You’re right, I don’t. Because if you were one or the other or both you wouldn’t make such sexist comments. You’ve got to be a white privileged male who’s never suffered any prejudice to be making comments like that.