Winks will be better than Carrick | Vital Football

Winks will be better than Carrick

Spursex

Alert Team
Carrick was always a player I admired; he created time and space, and to some extent still does, his passing most of the time was and still is sublime, his one probable failing as a player was his inability to get past the oppositions defence and score more, but time after time I say him set the tempo, win the second ball or make perfectly tackles.

Many here have marveled at Winks play and his maturity, he really is a product of our academy and really hasn't surprised anyone who watched him as a kid seamlessly make the step up...

I actually think Winks has more skills in his locker than Carrick and could well be the player that we build our midfield around for years to come.

He really is one of our own and I wonder how long it will be before Southgate and England come calling...

It was this clip that got me really thinking about just what an outstanding player he could become...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPrnGZYAfKp/

I'm not sure his passing will get to Carrick's level, because Carrick could hit a mm perfect pass over and over again, but he will definitely be a player we build our midfield around as time progresses. There's a long way to go for the lad but he has a perfect mentality and he definitely has the talent. He's a real tempo setter but is strong and can switch between defence and offence quickly and easily.

He's rubbish. Another Bentaleb/mason/Steven Clemance. Passes the ball sideways, backwards, and treats it like a hot potato. Will be at Hull or Palace in the summer.

Message to Mod, stop removing my posts. There are few enough people on this site as it is

The fact he got a £20m move to Man Utd (when they were still good) anyone that can pass a decent ball will look good in a Man Utd team of the past. As I said there are plenty of players in the PL that can do what Carrick does. I'm not saying he ain't a good player just think he's got very lucky.

ScottDaYid - 25/1/2017 15:31

The fact he got a £20m move to Man Utd (when they were still good) anyone that can pass a decent ball will look good in a Man Utd team of the past. As I said there are plenty of players in the PL that can do what Carrick does. I'm not saying he ain't a good player just think he's got very lucky.

Lucky is someone like paulinho, who got a move to spurs on the back of 2 good games in a tournament for brazil . Carrick isnt lucky, he is a very good footballer and has proved his worth in the PL.

ScottDaYid - 25/1/2017 15:31

No player at the very top his profession, lasts as long, has the influence he's had and is still having can do that by being 'very lucky'.

Sorry Scotty that's just plain silly.

Some players get lucky, some don't,

Ledley King - 1 League Cup.
Anderson - 4 Premier Leagues, 2 League Cups, 1 Champions League

That's just an example

ScottDaYid - 25/1/2017 16:25

Some players get lucky, some don't,

Ledley King - 1 League Cup.
Anderson - 4 Premier Leagues, 2 League Cups, 1 Champions League

That's just an example

Ledley would have won a lot more if his knee injury wasnt so severe as he would not have been at spurs.He deserved a lot more from the game, he was a world class defender and belonged at one of the big clubs winning a ton of trophies.

ScottDaYid - 25/1/2017 15:14

Carrick has always been overrated, plenty of players that can do what he does

Like who?

Not many CM's can set the tempo of a football game. When we sold him we badly missed him.

I think fergie even said Carrick was one of his best signings. Considering the longevity he has given United as well, I would agree.

ScottDaYid - 25/1/2017 15:38

So is Huddlestone, arguably a better footballer than Carrick. What's the difference?

Hudd was a top passer, and would agree his passing was on par if not better than Carricks.

Carrick was more mobile, would read the game better, excellent positional awareness. He was decent at intercepting.

Carrick would have a field day in this team. Walker, Rose would love him.

Agree EX, Winks has the ability to become even better. Winks is more adventurous than Carrick was or ever will be.

I think the one player Winks looks like most is Modric. His vision isn't there yet, but reckon with game time and experience he will be popping balls all over the pitch rather than just short passing.

Real Deal - 25/1/2017 19:36

Agree EX, Winks has the ability to become even better. Winks is more adventurous than Carrick was or ever will be.

I think the one player Winks looks like most is Modric. His vision isn't there yet, but reckon with game time and experience he will be popping balls all over the pitch rather than just short passing.

Hmmmmm.....IMO vision is a natural talent not a learned one. I should add that it is not clear if he does or doesn't have it just yet.

Carrick has always been class, an utter joke that he doesn't have 100 England caps, every team looks better with him rather than without him.

As for Little Harry, he is looking good and long may it continue.