Winks will be better than Carrick | Page 5 | Vital Football

Winks will be better than Carrick

Well the kid has done it again, got the England call. Let's hope he stays fit this time and can resume where he left off.....replacing Dembele which it seems is on the cards now. I have noticed his performances getting stronger and his sharpness returning. He looked a bit nervy at first which is understandable I guess with his injury.

Yep and we need him!!!

Didn't get any minutes. I wasn't watching but a Henderson, Dier, Barkley midfield on paper feels like it needs a Winks if you want creativity

Our two players hit the woodwork once each, Rashford and Sterling were crap, Walker didn't deliver like Tripps and once again no creativity in MF. Barklay showed little of what he is supposed to be able to do.

Our two players hit the woodwork once each, Rashford and Sterling were crap, Walker didn't deliver like Tripps and once again no creativity in MF. Barklay showed little of what he is supposed to be able to do.

That being said, England were the better side and could or should have won against the WC finalists. After his tactical suicide in Moscow, Southgate completely stifled Croatia away from home and I thought Dier and Hendo did the ugly stuff well. 1st half boring, but the 2nd half we started to look like a better side.

Still can't believe Rashford's misses though.

Cant agree more Nick.... summed up perfectly . Rashford misses were unforgivable in an international match. Haven't rated walker since before he left us . Sterling is hopeless in an England shirt when he hasn't got world class players around him and I think we may have dodged a bullet with Barclay .time will tell.
Didn't mind Tripps not playing in this stupid league thingy , gave him a bit of a rest I suppose . Harry should be rested but won't be against Spain . Their defenders ain't going to give him any peace and certainly won't be swapping addresses for Christmas cards . Let Sterling play up front on his own and let him get kicked to kingdom come . Keep Winksy out of this , at this point of the season he doesn't need to be put in the deep end as England's saviour . He will work his socks off cos that's the sort of lad he is .

Cant agree more Nick.... summed up perfectly . Rashford misses were unforgivable in an international match. Haven't rated walker since before he left us . Sterling is hopeless in an England shirt when he hasn't got world class players around him and I think we may have dodged a bullet with Barclay .time will tell.
Didn't mind Tripps not playing in this stupid league thingy , gave him a bit of a rest I suppose . Harry should be rested but won't be against Spain . Their defenders ain't going to give him any peace and certainly won't be swapping addresses for Christmas cards . Let Sterling play up front on his own and let him get kicked to kingdom come . Keep Winksy out of this , at this point of the season he doesn't need to be put in the deep end as England's saviour . He will work his socks off cos that's the sort of lad he is .

Dier gets so much stick so it's only right I praise him for his performance as I saw it anyway. He had an important job to do shielding the two CBs, he did pretty well against top opposition. He also almost scored with one of his trademark near post corner jobs. I did feel we still lacked in MF. Winks may not have been as good defensively but probably would have been more creative.

He put in a shift tonight for sure. Was difficult trying to play through Spain and he was more defensive than he probably likes. I thought he and Dier were a good pairing defensively.

Agreed, spot on.

Think we've seen some of this already with Winks. Weren't his best games last season (Liverpool, RM, Dortmund etc) where he sat deep and pressed when needed to? He seemed to have a bigger influence from deep.

I still don't know what his best position is but would love to see the double pivot of Winks and Dembele together at some point this season.

I guess it's good he can operate defensive or offensive according to the needs of the game. He is intelligent and reads the game well. He has been capt at various age levels inc England under 20s I think. The old cliche of having a number of captain's on the pitch does apply to us . Dier, Vert, Lloris, Kane, Eriksen, Alli , Toby and possibly Winks one day. This should provide for discipline in shape and knowing responsibilities.