Wigun v Wikum | Page 6 | Vital Football

Wigun v Wikum

Hopefully someone other than Sessegnon because he is playing dire and with Adeeko our weekest players at the moment.
My point there was with regard to the pass Hughes made to put Sessegnon clear through (when he shot just wide ... or alternatively, Wyke couldn't quite get on the end of his cross !).

That's the kind of pass I expect the manager wants to see more of.

Morning after the night before. Is it points or performance that is more important? I think we are moving into performance territory.

I’m beginning to worry about next season. The stand out players in this team are unlikely to be here and there will be a massive overhaul anyway with so many out of contract and the decent loan players gone back. Effectively we’ll have a new team but given constraints they are unlikely to be of the same quality. Pulling results out of the fire whilst playing crap is going to become increasingly difficult.
I have a different view. I think getting shot of a few of the experienced players who are on decent contracts will help us. Imagine having younger, hungrier forwards who want to run and bust a gut. Imagine if we had that threat up front who could bully centre halves with a bit of pace and drag us up the field. We’d be a much better side with 11 players that have the required energy. I agree with the previous poster (sorry I’m getting older and more forgetful!) who said we should aim to have Hughes and Tickle with us next season if we do decide to cash in in the summer. I think even the Championship would be too much for them at the moment. Better to get guaranteed playing time with us to rack up another 50 games and then go one step higher. Too many youngsters get thrust into the higher leagues and then have to rebuild their careers when it is too much for them. Hughes and Tickle are both 19 aren’t they? They are babies. It will be interesting to see how the football club’s model develops over the summer when it comes to signings. I think Goode could be a bit of a coup and further signings like that will only aide our cause and gives me confidence that Maloney and Gregor know what they are doing and are identifying the right targets

We had to bring in a similar number of players this season, and most of those have been amongst our best performers this season: the 3 loanees you mentioned and Matt Smith, then both Shaw and Jonny Smith have been OK ... Clare and Sessegnon have been hot(tish) and cold.

Yep, I'd be very confident about the summer's recruitment campaign, given the track record of Maloney/Rioch so far. I reckon we'll have a much better (performing) squad next season.
Didn’t see your post when writing mine. I agree with you

Don't recall Noel Ward Tommy Gore and Gilly passing back and sideways for 85 minutes every game.
Different game, different times, different philosophies.

Maloney is obviously going back to his time with is as a player (which is fair enough).

Last edited:
I agree somewhat with what you say but my worry is Maloney despite all the issues he has had to deal with is not getting the best out of the squad he has now, it isn't rocket science to see how we can perform and how we mostly are doing.

The saying goes a workman can only use the tools and materials at his disposal - it is hard to argue that Maloney is even doing this.
I truly believe he is making sure we're safe first.

Doesent mean those tactics wouldent work again.
What goes around comes around
I absolutely get that Zakky. I'd love to see modern day equivalents of those, Joe Hinnigan, Jeff Wright, Tony Kelly, Peter Houghton and Kevin Sheldon.

My point though was with regard to Maloney's comment re the club DNA. He wasn't referencing those times, but the time he himself was playing here.

Interesting though that we scored from a long ball free kick into the box at the very end. Now, any other time in the game that would have been a short 5 yard pass to keep possession.
Just goes to show, changing tactics can work sometimes Shaun :LOL:

We were in a near identical position in the first half and did just that - a short pass backwards with no one moved into any attacking position. Utterly ludicrous and drives me mad. In fact it culminating in going back to Tickle who was scrambling outside his box to clear it.

it was unbelievably windy in the first half. every time we tried to play a cross or longer pass it got caught up. once the players got used to it they started to use it to their advantage, like Hughes' diag out to Sess. Not really got much issue with us taking set pieces short in those conditions.

The free kick at the end got caught in the wind but Cal Mac is always good at dropping off at the back post to pick up anything that comes through to him. His piece of skill to create the separation and put the ball back in for Hughes is absolute textbook wingplay and something that all the squad should be learning from.

Interesting though that we scored from a long ball free kick into the box at the very end. Now, any other time in the game that would have been a short 5 yard pass to keep possession.
Just goes to show, changing tactics can work sometimes Shaun :LOL:
Yet people insist its the players and not the managers tactics that's at fault, what a load of bollocks!

Tinkerbells tactics have got the players nervous bloody wrecks, the players are playing to the managers instructions or I'm 100% sure he would put a stop to it.