Wigun v Wikum | Page 5 | Vital Football

Wigun v Wikum

We had to bring in a similar number of players this season, and most of those have been amongst our best performers this season: the 3 loanees you mentioned and Matt Smith, then both Shaw and Jonny Smith have been OK ... Clare and Sessegnon have been hot(tish) and cold.

Yep, I'd be very confident about the summer's recruitment campaign, given the track record of Maloney/Rioch so far. I reckon we'll have a much better (performing) squad next season.

I'm the opposite to be honest, I'm looking forward to next season. The majority of the standout players I suspect will still be here : Tickle, Hughes (I don't think they'll go yet or if they do we'll go for a loan back), Aasgaard, Smith and I have a feeling we will try to have deals lined up for some of the loan players to stay , either on loan again or to sign permanent if they are available as their contract has ended at their parent club.

It's the underperforming ones who will be shipped out who, incidentally, are some of the highest paid : Lang, Magennis (your mate), Wyke, Humphrys etc. Again that doesn't bother me as we play some decent football at times but without Godo there seems to be little attacking threat. We need a clear out of the front line to be replaced with some young, energetic, skillful, pacey attacking talent. Once we have that I'm confident we'll be a hell of a lot more entertaining to watch.
think im with you on (most) of this roy. looking forward to next seeson. yes. cos it certanly cant be any worse than some of the shit ofered up in the guise of football these deys. theres nowt we can do about the pleyers at the mo. but. there IS sommart that can be done with seans tactics in maneging what he has. this maloneyball has to fecking stop. there were some good long cross feeld passing last nite. but. there was no urgency to run up in support which left the enevitable ball taken of us and back into are half.
bbc stats. 6 shots in first half. 3 shots in second half. thats not good enuf. hopefully that young. energetic. skilful. pacey new forward line will sort them stats out.

think im with you on (most) of this roy. looking forward to next seeson. yes. cos it certanly cant be any worse than some of the shit ofered up in the guise of football these deys. theres nowt we can do about the pleyers at the mo. but. there IS sommart that can be done with seans tactics in maneging what he has. this maloneyball has to fecking stop. there were some good long cross feeld passing last nite. but. there was no urgency to run up in support which left the enevitable ball taken of us and back into are half.
bbc stats. 6 shots in first half. 3 shots in second half. thats not good enuf. hopefully that young. energetic. skilful. pacey new forward line will sort them stats out.
Yep, I think we're mostly on the same wavelength Brick, you just see things as a little more black and white than me and there's nowt wrong with that.

Again you pick out Adeeko yet don't say a thing about the lazy passenger we carry in Aasgaard
I don't know why you and others have such a downer on Aasgard. He cut out a load of dangerous crosses/corners last night. He gets caught in possession a lot because he is trying to do something with the ball rather than pass it back to Charlie or Tickle like Adeeko does.

I don't know why you and others have such a downer on Aasgard. He cut out a load of dangerous crosses/corners last night. He gets caught in possession a lot because he is trying to do something with the ball rather than pass it back to Charlie or Tickle like Adeeko does.
Certain fans are allergic to creativity. The same lot who booed Jordi Gomez and Nick Powell.

Something else to add. When we move the ball quickly I think we are threatening. Perhaps last night there were too many missed opportunities

Stevenage will be a different challenge as their recent form is patchy and they are pushing for a promotion spot, I expect them to attack and therefore I expect more space might open up for Humps/Thelo etc. I hope Godo is back soon as he can open teams up, as well keep possession and change the angle of attack

Two very good points raised there Pubey.

Morning after the night before. Is it points or performance that is more important? I think we are moving into performance territory.

I’m beginning to worry about next season. The stand out players in this team are unlikely to be here and there will be a massive overhaul anyway with so many out of contract and the decent loan players gone back. Effectively we’ll have a new team but given constraints they are unlikely to be of the same quality. Pulling results out of the fire whilst playing crap is going to become increasingly difficult.
This season, it's definitely the points that are the most important especially on the back of a minus 8 start & every football expert predicting we would go down at the start of this season.

We probably need 5 more wins. The main goal for Maloney is to secure our league 1 status. It mighg mean we have to put up with "tedious football" until safety is achieved. When that is achieved, maybe the shackles might come off.

But, we did play crap "hit it anywhere & hope for the best" football under Leam & won the league.

This season, it's definitely the points that are the most important especially on the back of a minus 8 start & every football expert predicting we would go down at the start of this season.

We probably need 5 more wins. The main goal for Maloney is to secure our league 1 status. It mighg mean we have to put up with "tedious football" until safety is achieved. When that is achieved, maybe the shackles might come off.

But, we did play crap "hit it anywhere & hope for the best" football under Leam & won the league.
corect
forgot about all of that early doors.
little wigan rubbing there faces in it agen at the end of the seeson will be sweet.

I think in previous interviews Maloney has said that mid table safety is the first priority, and to that end I think his tactics are defensive.

He has also said that once that was achieved " then we'll see were we can go" and to that end I think we may see a more adventurous outcome.

Once we're safe in mid table there will be nothing to play for, on the beach, so to speak and I think that is the time to experiment and unleash a more attacking style. I hope SM takes the opportunity to do so.

On a separate note, I see concerns are being raised about next seasons line up and the lack of forward players, I think the hope is that Chris Sze will step up and replace the likes of Lang whereas Josh Stones looks likely to be the replacement for Wyke and Magennis.

Judging on the last two matches I think that Chambers has been as exciting as Antonee Robinson was if not better.

I would love us to be able to buy him in the summer but won't hold my breath.

We had to bring in a similar number of players this season, and most of those have been amongst our best performers this season: the 3 loanees you mentioned and Matt Smith, then both Shaw and Jonny Smith have been OK ... Clare and Sessegnon have been hot(tish) and cold.

Yep, I'd be very confident about the summer's recruitment campaign, given the track record of Maloney/Rioch so far. I reckon we'll have a much better (performing) squad next season.
I agree somewhat with what you say but my worry is Maloney despite all the issues he has had to deal with is not getting the best out of the squad he has now, it isn't rocket science to see how we can perform and how we mostly are doing.

The saying goes a workman can only use the tools and materials at his disposal - it is hard to argue that Maloney is even doing this.

I agree somewhat with what you say but my worry is Maloney despite all the issues he has had to deal with is not getting the best out of the squad he has now, it isn't rocket science to see how we can perform and how we mostly are doing.

The saying goes a workman can only use the tools and materials at his disposal - it is hard to argue that Maloney is even doing this.

I agree with this. I don’t think performances equate to the quality of some of the players we have. That’s my concern for next season as I fear the squad will be weaker.

I can see your point, but maybe (like his mentor) Maloney believes in doing stuff a certain way, ...and to be fair to him, even though some members of the squad may have struggled with what was being asked of them, others have flourished. After all, he can't have done that badly (given our league position ... and points acquired of course).

When he gets "his players" in all positions, I reckon we'll look a different team to the one who's got 6 points from two awful games this past week.

Simple. It's (the best of) what we saw under Martinez. Keeping the ball, fluid movement, sin miedo ... we saw some magnificent football, with some outstanding results (including all of the "top 4 at the time).

Of course, some will say that the play back then was just as often dire, but that's missing the point.

I'd wager that Maloney wants far more of the "Hughes to Sessegnon " pass than "Hughes to anyone stood alongside or behind him" pass, but that means that we need to create the gaps and opportunities for them to happen more frequently.

I'd say that "resilience" is also part of that, and there's no doubt from the past few games (last two in particular), we've definitely got the foundations of that.
Hopefully someone other than Sessegnon because he is playing dire and with Adeeko our weekest players at the moment.
I vaguely remember the magnificent football under Martinez. Yip it certainly was on about a dozen occasions.

Something else to add. When we move the ball quickly I think we are threatening. Perhaps last night there were too many missed opportunities where Humps/Sess/Jones could have taken on a 1-v-1, or Baba/Smith could have turned and driven forward, but Wycombe played deep and were not interested in pressing high. It seemed like Wycombe (and Reading too) were very content to sit back and try to catch us on the break. They were both very conservative teams and if I was a supporter of them then I’d be very very frustrated at their negative tactics. Stevenage will be a different challenge as their recent form is patchy and they are pushing for a promotion spot, I expect them to attack and therefore I expect more space might open up for Humps/Thelo etc. I hope Godo is back soon as he can open teams up, as well keep possession and change the angle of attack
I know how they must feel because we have the most negative tactics I can ever remember in all my years of following Latics.