What's the point? | Page 6 | Vital Football

What's the point?

Did you manage to sort out the off field problems still plaguing the club Clive? ST issues are still there. Huge queues probably connected to ST issues as well as the lack of stewarding.
I was denied entry at the turnstile and someone on a walkie talkie demanded I walk around to the ticket office to sort it out. It was KO time, I was at the turnstile closest to my seat in block 2, and I’m disabled.
I dug out extra proof of my disability to the turnstile operator. She realised that this was a potential discrimination situation and let me in saying she will take full responsibility for over ruling the controller.
I didn’t complain afterwards as I’m a loyal fan who started following City during the 1974-75 season.
I was really peed off by the defeat that night though!

Well this is a thoroughly depressing thread to read. Sad that a Chairman who is demonstrably one of the best in the EFL feels the need to respond to a few over-grown man-baby loudmouths, but maybe that’s a reflection on social media rather than Lincoln as a club.

My own view for what it’s worth (FA to be honest), is that a message board like this shouldnt be an official extension of the club, and there should be space for all views, even if those views are utter horseshit. And they should be allowed to be ridiculed as such. What grinds my gears is that some seemingly revelling in Lincoln’s misfortune, as if it somehow proves them right or they’ve hit upon some seam of knowledge no-one else can see (let’s be honest, there were posters cutting into Appleton on here weeks after he was appointed).

The wider point about loyalty is an interesting one. Perhaps the Chairman is just beginning to see how fickle Lincoln fans can be. It’s not a football City and far too many of my mates support a Premier League club and see Lincoln as an after-thought. They happily come along when they are doing well but don’t mind sloping off when the going gets tough.

Perhaps it comes down to how you approach going to the game - I go to have a few beers and a laugh with my mates, the results have always been secondary, ever since I went to my first away game in 1994. But if you’re only motivated by results then I guess you’d look at things a bit differently.

It's great to be home in mostly sunny Johannesburg. Four weeks away is a very long time especially in current circumstances. It was extremely important to get over and see key people face-to-face for the first time in 21 months and to meet Harvey and his family and Landon for the first time. But it wasn't what I would describe as an enjoyable trip - Omicron breaking the day I arrived, crap weather, getting put on antibiotics after getting sick, endless Covid tests, not seeing us win and probably being overly cautious in avoiding various situations such as even visiting the EPC while players and staff were around.
I trust that you are fully recovered, and enjoying the sunshine, Clive; thanks for continuing to lead the development of the Club.
I don’t want to stray off-topic too far, but as you mentioned the EPC, I was wondering what impact Covid is having on the playing staff training? Are the players able to get together and gel as a group, with training staff, as much as MA would like?

It doesn't help when you look at the size of clubs in this Division
It's like a knackers yard for ex premier league clubs. All of these clubs are willing to throw a lot of money about just to get back to the Championship.
On paper this is now a big league
In reality it's even more difficult

We are seriously punching above our weight if you take last season in isolation.

Well this is a thoroughly depressing thread to read. Sad that a Chairman who is demonstrably one of the best in the EFL feels the need to respond to a few over-grown man-baby loudmouths, but maybe that’s a reflection on social media rather than Lincoln as a club.

My own view for what it’s worth (FA to be honest), is that a message board like this shouldnt be an official extension of the club, and there should be space for all views, even if those views are utter horseshit. And they should be allowed to be ridiculed as such. What grinds my gears is that some seemingly revelling in Lincoln’s misfortune, as if it somehow proves them right or they’ve hit upon some seam of knowledge no-one else can see (let’s be honest, there were posters cutting into Appleton on here weeks after he was appointed).

The wider point about loyalty is an interesting one. Perhaps the Chairman is just beginning to see how fickle Lincoln fans can be. It’s not a football City and far too many of my mates support a Premier League club and see Lincoln as an after-thought. They happily come along when they are doing well but don’t mind sloping off when the going gets tough.

Perhaps it comes down to how you approach going to the game - I go to have a few beers and a laugh with my mates, the results have always been secondary, ever since I went to my first away game in 1994. But if you’re only motivated by results then I guess you’d look at things a bit differently.

my observations of this forum is that the ridicule goes way way to far, to the point where it’s personal and unpleasant. If people behaved like that in the real world they would end up with a blooded nose or unemployment. You can disagree with people in a professional and polite manner.

i don’t see people enjoying the misfortune I just see some very passionate and frustrated fans.

its interesting on your comment about your football motivations. I can honestly say that for me it’s all about the result, I hate it when we lose it puts me in such a bad mood. But I am competitive person by nature

I had hoped my post was more about considering what our fans wanted from the club and the consequences of their actions rather than it being a moan about any social media criticism.

I think, maybe, you are expecting a little too much from us, at least en masse.

I suspect we are much better at indicating what we are not happy with (which is so much easier to do) than postulating on what we want. It is so much easier to shout from the cabin that you don't like the view, than it is to steer the ship, let alone pre-determine the direction and stops that a ship is going to take and fund and organise the itinerary in advance to give the Captain the best opportunity to reach the destination.

I for one, am very happy with the direction and ethos that the club is embracing. The club at the heart of the community is what started me on this journey, when Graham Taylor and John Ward made tours of my school and Scout Hut in the 1970's. The intelligent out-reach to recruit from Ireland, Wales and Scotland in the face of the closure of European doorway to talent. The emphasis on developing a younger squad with more potential and the ultimate desire to move toward less reliance on the loan market for talent are all to be applauded. The gradual expansion of the LNER and emphasis on improved facilities for the fans along with the development of other revenue streams, including sustainable investment from individuals. All of these are joined up, strategic goals to be applauded.

The inherent downside to the strategy (and possibly to growing anything long-term and sustainable) is that it is very rarely a linear progression, so unless the passengers are fully bought-in to the journey and can keep an eye on the context of both the destination and the value of the stops along the way, they can be distracted by the storm that is making them sea-sick.

The complaints seem to me to be mainly about the storm, whether the crew could be stronger and what they should be doing to steer clear of the storm. They are not about the ship, the itinerary, the scheduled stops along the way or the desired ultimate direction. They are about not wanting to make an unscheduled stop on the rocks.

Personally, I am bought into the strategic direction of the ship and the stops we need to make and am willing to give it several years to reach our destination. I am also fully supportive of the crew that is steering the ship, even if we are currently in a storm. I am willing to give the crew the opportunity to steer the ship away from the rocks and continue the journey. My only concern is the storm itself, what is causing it, how long will it last, when will we start seeing ourselves push past it?

So what do I want?

More of the same with some clear improvements in results.

I'm afraid that isn't particularly insightful, but the reality is that, for me at least, it is getting points and climbing the table that is the pressing issue. I am hopeful that the storm (in the form of injuries, Covid, confidence, luck) will pass with some judicious steering from the Captain (in the terms of selection, tactics, motivation) and that there isn't some hidden rudder problem that we are not aware of.

I am happy and confident about the Cruise, even if I am feeling a little queasy from it at the moment.

I for one am very great full to clive for posting on this forum, and would say it's pretty well unprecedented in the FLfor someone in his position to do so on a fans forum. I look at lots of other sites and have never seen it happen.

I for one am very great full to clive for posting on this forum, and would say it's pretty well unprecedented in the FLfor someone in his position to do so on a fans forum. I look at lots of other sites and have never seen it happen.
Not many watch away games in the away end either and happily greet fellow fans with a handshake and a general chat.( even if he feels like telling some to p*ss off)

I think that could be put down to supporters having been starved of success for so many years. Ron Gray revitalised the club that summer, and three wins out of the first five league games was the kind of run we'd not been used to seeing. Then came the League Cup run, beating third tier Mansfield, then top flight Newcastle (which game itself drew over 15,000) followed by another Third Division club in Torquay, beating them by no less than 4-2 in front of another five-figure gate.

In a way it was on a par with the FA Cup run in 2016/17 in that it caught people's imaginations, and after the away draw with Derby everyone turned up hoping to see another win at home. There was also the hope of further progress, with the draw for the next round (the quarter-finals) having produced a winnable home tie with fellow mid-table Fourth Division side Darlington and the prospect of a place in the semi-finals.
... remember going to all those 4 league cup games - the Mansfield fans weren't happy after the game (no change there then and remember the bus being kicked a few times by those naughty boys from Mansfail. Imps 4ever

Did you manage to sort out the off field problems still plaguing the club Clive? ST issues are still there. Huge queues probably connected to ST issues as well as the lack of stewarding.
I was denied entry at the turnstile and someone on a walkie talkie demanded I walk around to the ticket office to sort it out. It was KO time, I was at the turnstile closest to my seat in block 2, and I’m disabled.
I dug out extra proof of my disability to the turnstile operator. She realised that this was a potential discrimination situation and let me in saying she will take full responsibility for over ruling the controller.
I didn’t complain afterwards as I’m a loyal fan who started following City during the 1974-75 season.
I was really peed off by the defeat that night though!
Really sorry to hear that you had that issue. In such instances it's absolutely in the best interests of the club to let the appropriate people know so that it doesn't happen again by emailing the club at feedback@theredimps.com with full details.

To go the other way Clive in amongst the disruption do you believe the trip was positive and fruitful in some quarters and what was Harvey’s take? Was it as he imagined?
Despite the trip not being as enjoyable as hoped for the reasons mentioned it was an extremely important one after such a long absence and frankly also beacuse of the position we find ourselves in.

Everything I heard from Harvey, Missy and Jensen about the club and city was extremely positive and above expectations. I am sure they were disappointed to have the Doncaster and Rotherham games called off and were no doubt disappointed we lost the only game they have been able to watch on this trip. It could be worse though, my first game was a 2-0 home defeat to Welling.

my observations of this forum is that the ridicule goes way way to far, to the point where it’s personal and unpleasant. If people behaved like that in the real world they would end up with a blooded nose or unemployment. You can disagree with people in a professional and polite manner.

i don’t see people enjoying the misfortune I just see some very passionate and frustrated fans.

its interesting on your comment about your football motivations. I can honestly say that for me it’s all about the result, I hate it when we lose it puts me in such a bad mood. But I am competitive person by nature

I think hyperbole is just the nature of the entire internet. I try not to take it literally, and definitely not personally!

I had hoped my post was more about considering what our fans wanted from the club and the consequences of their actions rather than it being a moan about any social media criticism.

What do I want.

You to carry on doing what you are doing.

In return I am going to carry on doing what I am doing, which will include buying season tickets for next year.

That's really the bargain Lincoln fans need to keep, if we are to keep going forward.

I think most people are actually the same, with extremes at both ends.

Winning is a great feeling and a 1-0 win against Pitsea feels better than a loss against Arsenal.

You can try to rationalise the merits of each achievement but the Pitsea result gets it every time for most.

That said, I think there is still plenty of goodwill and desire for the club to succeed.

But it's easy to get things out of perspective when you are too close.

For a fan that's been used to turning up and seeing City win nearly every game at home for a few years...

...2 league wins at home since August is a different experience...and doesn't feel as good.

A lot see the bigger picture and for those that see only a short term dip, this season's slow start means a moderate improvement in form would actually have a big change in mood.

The more we all back what you are trying to do, the more chance there is to achieve it.

UTI

I think, maybe, you are expecting a little too much from us, at least en masse.

I suspect we are much better at indicating what we are not happy with (which is so much easier to do) than postulating on what we want. It is so much easier to shout from the cabin that you don't like the view, than it is to steer the ship, let alone pre-determine the direction and stops that a ship is going to take and fund and organise the itinerary in advance to give the Captain the best opportunity to reach the destination.

I for one, am very happy with the direction and ethos that the club is embracing. The club at the heart of the community is what started me on this journey, when Graham Taylor and John Ward made tours of my school and Scout Hut in the 1970's. The intelligent out-reach to recruit from Ireland, Wales and Scotland in the face of the closure of European doorway to talent. The emphasis on developing a younger squad with more potential and the ultimate desire to move toward less reliance on the loan market for talent are all to be applauded. The gradual expansion of the LNER and emphasis on improved facilities for the fans along with the development of other revenue streams, including sustainable investment from individuals. All of these are joined up, strategic goals to be applauded.

The inherent downside to the strategy (and possibly to growing anything long-term and sustainable) is that it is very rarely a linear progression, so unless the passengers are fully bought-in to the journey and can keep an eye on the context of both the destination and the value of the stops along the way, they can be distracted by the storm that is making them sea-sick.

The complaints seem to me to be mainly about the storm, whether the crew could be stronger and what they should be doing to steer clear of the storm. They are not about the ship, the itinerary, the scheduled stops along the way or the desired ultimate direction. They are about not wanting to make an unscheduled stop on the rocks.

Personally, I am bought into the strategic direction of the ship and the stops we need to make and am willing to give it several years to reach our destination. I am also fully supportive of the crew that is steering the ship, even if we are currently in a storm. I am willing to give the crew the opportunity to steer the ship away from the rocks and continue the journey. My only concern is the storm itself, what is causing it, how long will it last, when will we start seeing ourselves push past it?

So what do I want?

More of the same with some clear improvements in results.

I'm afraid that isn't particularly insightful, but the reality is that, for me at least, it is getting points and climbing the table that is the pressing issue. I am hopeful that the storm (in the form of injuries, Covid, confidence, luck) will pass with some judicious steering from the Captain (in the terms of selection, tactics, motivation) and that there isn't some hidden rudder problem that we are not aware of.

I am happy and confident about the Cruise, even if I am feeling a little queasy from it at the moment.
I like the cut of your jib!
Let's hope for some fair winds and following seas.

Just a couple of anecdotes to add to the discussion on here. First, I don’t do social media, other than Vitals, where I get to hear all sorts of views expressed relating to games and the general goings on at the Club. Living away, it’s a good way of keeping in touch with a group of Lincoln people with a common interest. Furthermore, I’m not able to get to a great number of games these days (I see more away than at home), and less so since losing my parents (Dad was a season ticket holder, so we tended to coordinate visits with matches), and now if I’m in at home on a match afternoon, and read Vitals, it gives me a sense and feel of what is going on.

So what happened before social media? After leaving Lincoln, any discussions would be with my Dad on the phone. Before leaving Lincoln it was during games, in shops, school, workplace etc. People criticise negative comments on Vitals during matches. Well, before social media there was plenty of criticism at matches – it was still people expressing their views on what they saw. During the “slide” of the early 60s, a common shout on the Sincil Bank terrace was “bloody rubbish Lincoln” as soon as a the match kicked off, with plenty of slagging off of individual players. But those people still turned up week after week, and cheered during the “big” games, such as against Newcastle, before slagging off the team at the next league match. And everyone in shops/workplaces had opinions the following week. My barber was classic – he could give chapter and verse on which players were rubbish and how bad the team was – even though he never went to a game!

So has anything really changed? Only the media, but not the football fans

Another anecdote relates to an old work colleague of mine. He was a Crewe supporter and marginally younger than me, so we had shared an upbringing in bottom division football. So when things picked up for Crewe under Gradi, with exciting young players coming through, and associated promotions through to (what is now) the Championship, he thought it was great, and despite relegations as well as promotions, enjoyed the ride. He started taking his sons to matches during one of the periods when they were on the up; they were both season ticket holders and went home and away. However, in due course, during a relegation season (from what is now the Championship) his son thought Gradi was rubbish and should be sacked; my colleague looked forward to challenging for promotion the following season, under the man who had given /was giving them such success

Any parallels there?

Really sorry to hear that you had that issue. In such instances it's absolutely in the best interests of the club to let the appropriate people know so that it doesn't happen again by emailing the club at feedback@theredimps.com with full details.
I wouldn’t like to cause a stir. Especially after the rigorous selection process for getting a disabled ticket in the summer. I’m scared of drawing attention to myself and don’t want any special treatment. I just want to be one of the crowd. But thanks anyway.

Anyone who supports Lincoln City and only cares about the results is going to disappointed two thirds of the time.

And paradoxically, the higher the club rises in the league structure, the more likely to become disappointed they will be.

Such a person is a Prozac salesman's dream.

Anyone who supports Lincoln City and only cares about the results is going to disappointed two thirds of the time.

And paradoxically, the higher the club rises in the league structure, the more likely to become disappointed they will be.

Such a person is a Prozac salesman's dream.

dont come on here with logic and reason! I want to see lincoln win it’s almost tribal!