What's happening in Reading ? | Page 7 | Vital Football

What's happening in Reading ?

The problem with the "it's all about the oil" is then you have the puzzle of the massive and barely critical commitment to Israel -the ones with no oil. And why bust Saddam and Gadaffi if it's all about the oil? OK, Saddam was getting a bit big for his britches -but surely in a geopolitical sense, not a reliable provider sense. And Gadaffi had seen the light after his meeting with Blair in the tent. Don't underestimate expansionary liberalism as a driver and especially expansionary liberalism attempted on the cheap -a big change between the Thatcher/Reagan/Bush era and the Blair/W/Obama mess. That's a good thing about Trump -when they explain why the US absolutely has to act, he says no we don't, at least so far (he's still a horse's banana, btw, but that's not an immediate disqualifier for the job).

Its a strange old world.

The dems nicely speak of peace etc but killed more people overseas (including own troops) and want to fight or eliminate Russia, iran, china, north Korea.

Trump with the big ignorant mouth has resisted advice to further use the military against those countries above (including syria).

I think we're better off sticking to what happened , rather than launch into 'whatabout' scenarios.

Do you mean just talk about the irony of someone going to a blm march and then getting stabbed by a muslim immigrant? You do know many black people have been born in this country for generations.

Or do you mean just stick to the known facts released by the police?

If they had been people who were actually against immigration but also did not agree with any person being killed unlawfully or if you are legal then you should not be discriminated against, would it have been so ironic.

Yeah, sorry. Read that three times, and didn't understand it.

Trump with the big ignorant mouth has resisted advice to further use the military against those countries above (including syria).

Did you watch his full speech the other night ?
He spoke for around half hour , then returned to (repeated) every point he had made 1st time round. Plenty of digs handed out , along with some impersonations and piss taking.
That man has got one hell of an ego !

Yeah, sorry. Read that three times, and didn't understand it.

Obviously, how would you!

Its simple, people dying is not funny - you think it is just because your bubble think its ironic.

You can actually be against immigration and terrorism but also at the same time be against actual racism and unlawful killings.

Did you watch his full speech the other night ?
He spoke for around half hour , then returned to (repeated) every point he had made 1st time round. Plenty of digs handed out , along with some impersonations and piss taking.
That man has got one hell of an ego !

Hes lost the plot a bit with all the things that are going on. Looks like he will just repeat everything from the last campaign even though he has not completed anything. Will have no plans for his second term but everything will be ‘Biden is bad compared to me’ lol.

Biden’s message is ‘we have no policies but we must defeat the devil Trump’.

Both going for their same old bases. It will be hard to pull trump down as everyone alreadys knows trump talks crap.
Biden however is full of tales of corruption and bad policies so any legacy he has can be used against him plus trump will split the dem base by bringing up how they screwed sanders.

His ego was on trial due to the issue he has with slopes or steps, what a long story to cover that lol.

Obviously, how would you!

Its simple, people dying is not funny - you think it is just because your bubble think its ironic.

You can actually be against immigration and terrorism but also at the same time be against actual racism and unlawful killings.
You've said it's ironic (3 times), I haven't. I think it is sad.

Hes lost the plot a bit with all the things that are going on. Looks like he will just repeat everything from the last campaign even though he has not completed anything. Will have no plans for his second term but everything will be ‘Biden is bad compared to me’ lol.

Biden’s message is ‘we have no policies but we must defeat the devil Trump’.

Both going for their same old bases. It will be hard to pull trump down as everyone alreadys knows trump talks crap.
Biden however is full of tales of corruption and bad policies so any legacy he has can be used against him plus trump will split the dem base by bringing up how they screwed sanders.

His ego was on trial due to the issue he has with slopes or steps, what a long story to cover that lol.

He looked on top form to me.
Did you watch it ?

He looked on top form to me.
Did you watch it ?

Yup. He was a miffed because of the attendance.
The trouble with the rallies is that its preaching to the converted whereas during the last election he had new policies and more enemies to attack.

He has problems though as some of his base are not happy with his lack of action over the violence and stature removals. Has he completed any of his campaign promises?
Too soon to say but he might scrape it again.

He has problems though as some of his base are not happy with his lack of action over the violence and stature removals.

Frustration by patriots in the US agreed.
(Same in the UK even)
He made some strong hints the other night , and I wouldn't be surprised if he cracks down and 'saves' the country from anarchy.
The far left/Democrats are happy to provide the ammunition , while the President slowly winds up his followers

When he returned to the White house in the early hours and he walked from the chopper across the garden he looked a defeated man, he is in the last throws of his presidency, his successor has a mammoth job to do, not just at home but on the world stage also.

When he returned to the White house in the early hours and he walked from the chopper across the garden he looked a defeated man, he is in the last throws of his presidency, his successor has a mammoth job to do, not just at home but on the world stage also.

We won't know till November!

His only advantage is that the opposition have no policies lol. Dems need to hope the hate trump movement carries them through. It worked for brexit though - no policy but simple slogans.

The problem with the "it's all about the oil" is then you have the puzzle of the massive and barely critical commitment to Israel -the ones with no oil. And why bust Saddam and Gadaffi if it's all about the oil? OK, Saddam was getting a bit big for his britches -but surely in a geopolitical sense, not a reliable provider sense. And Gadaffi had seen the light after his meeting with Blair in the tent. Don't underestimate expansionary liberalism as a driver and especially expansionary liberalism attempted on the cheap -a big change between the Thatcher/Reagan/Bush era and the Blair/W/Obama mess. That's a good thing about Trump -when they explain why the US absolutely has to act, he says no we don't, at least so far (he's still a horse's banana, btw, but that's not an immediate disqualifier for the job).

Israel is an interesting point. I have no real knowledge on this but just as speculation did the west, especially the US treat them with special friendships due to what happened under the Nazis? The US built them up militarily so they could protect themselves from the Arab nations that surround them but why? As you say no real resources and not really of strategic value. They were forced to stay out of the gulf wars due to the impact their involvement would have in escalating the issue and breaking the Arab support the west needed to liberate Kuwait.

I don't like trump one bit but the one thing he hasn't done is meddle overseas. Give him credit for that

The US military can steam roll most countries with limited effort. Its leaving a power void afterwards that causes all the issues.

There is no excuse for stabbing innocent people but you can certainly see why the Libyan youth will blame the west for the destruction of their country and their lack of any future in their countries. Its easy to blame the west - most conflict starts with blame.

I think things work best when there is a dominant culture which is confident and secure enough in itself to make space for minority cultures, and those minority cultures have to encourage the competence of their members in the majority culture, and accept that it is the dominant culture. Of course, this is exactly what most minorities do. That's what I would understand by integration. Certainly not a one-size fits-all complete melting pot. That works when there is cultural closeness and a fast growing economy which people want to be part of in the first place eg the 19th century US immigration experience. Dominant cultures do shift a bit like the Theseus ship or old broom/new broom paradox -but they don't shift as much or as quickly as large scale population movements require them to do. In fact a map of the basic world culture groups is one characterized by stability than change even today.

I'm pessimistic about multi-cultural, all-cultures-are-equal approaches. For one thing, they aren't. For all the evils of liberal imperialism and its successors, they hold up well in a comparative dominant cultures competition. Ask yourself in which other cultures would this discussion be taking place. And besides, while I have no interest in exporting liberalism's culture to other places and people, it suits me and mine.

It is not enough to say one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. We have to exercise our judgement on the positions we think people occupy on the terrorist-patriot continuum. The French resistance was different from Hamas, and Israel is different from its neighbors. In their imperfect ways, they are both working towards widening freedom -even if the former sometimes played roulette with its own compatriots taken hostage by the Germans, and even if
the latter thinks that history has given it a huge credit in its moral bank account which allows it to cut corners. I think Hamas and the IRA are closer to protection rackets exploiting the misery and frustration of people.

Nor is it good enough to focus merely on the people who exploit division.s It is true that people do this and it is true that they are a problem. However, this can be a form of deflection, especially when it implies that the divisions would not be there except for bad people stirring them up to distract from other sources of discontent.

The track record of political communities where there is any thing close to a balance of power or numbers -Yugoslavia, Lebanon, maybe even Belgium, is not good -and even where there is a large minority there is difficulty. If I were to be optimistic, I'd look at Canada as a pretty good story. Managing the French fact has become a way of life, rather than a question to be resolved. Attitudes to very large numbers of immigrants from all over the place remain positive. Even so, Canada has wealth and space, and there are signs that it has limits, even if they remain far off for now.

I can agree with most of that and the bits I don't agree with aren't worth arguing about and aren't central to the immediate question. We in Britain have been stuck in the rut of looking for a role and an identity post colonies, post war, post big shot country. Sadly the longer we have floundered the less confident and more paranoid we have become and we've ended up trying out victim status,it doesn't suit and it doesn't fit.

Were we more confident in ourselves I think we would have managed migration and assimilation better but I still think we have done better than many suggest. In a world of change and uncertain future we need to stop unconvincing attempts to return to former glories and accept that we are no more masters of our destiny than a host of other small and medium sized powers.

I'm a civilian and once the shooting starts in urban situations I don't care who the good guys are. I'm not sure there are any, it's probably least worst territory and I just want to survive.

Israel is an interesting point. I have no real knowledge on this but just as speculation did the west, especially the US treat them with special friendships due to what happened under the Nazis? The US built them up militarily so they could protect themselves from the Arab nations that surround them but why? As you say no real resources and not really of strategic value. They were forced to stay out of the gulf wars due to the impact their involvement would have in escalating the issue and breaking the Arab support the west needed to liberate Kuwait.

I don't like trump one bit but the one thing he hasn't done is meddle overseas. Give him credit for that

The US military can steam roll most countries with limited effort. Its leaving a power void afterwards that causes all the issues.

There is no excuse for stabbing innocent people but you can certainly see why the Libyan youth will blame the west for the destruction of their country and their lack of any future in their countries. Its easy to blame the west - most conflict starts with blame.

The creation of israel was not because of hitler but accelerated it.
You need to read the history to get a real feel.
Zionists in the USA and UK had been pushing this for years/generations and even once met the german (nazi) representatives to discuss it as a solution.
The palestian state was ruled over by different countries and after the first world war the uk had the mandate to rule there.
The rich and powerful zionists (look them up) persuaded or bribed the us and uk to back the zionist solution and started the movement of jews to palestine. None of this is hidden history.

Once there in numbers the zionists started terrorism against the Palestinians and British soldiers. The british were forced to stop policing (had fist hand accounts from soldiers who were there) and the Palestinians had to flee.
After that it is partly down to the powerful zionist lobby and the wish to have a western backed policeman in the area.

There are almost 20 blogs on my work's intranet about George Floyd. I'm going to set the over / under on blogs about the Reading killings at 0.5 / 1.5 (and I think I'll take the under

There are almost 20 blogs on my work's intranet about George Floyd. I'm going to set the over / under on blogs about the Reading killings at 0.5 / 1.5 (and I think I'll take the under

I'm really wondering what you mean by this. Apples and pears in any case and terrorist incidents numb the senses; most don't rush to soacial media to denounce and mourn though some do. Public opinion is so utterly overwhelmingly one sided over terrorism that debate is absent.