What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol? | Page 4 | Vital Football

What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol?

Was it yesterday or hundreds of years ago lol.

Depends if you did bad things but repented and then helped as penance in grace and became a minister and then preached against the trade helping to get it abolished.
You probably know - That was john newton who was a slaver he wrote ‘amazing grace’ about the moment he was saved by giving himself to god in exchange for salvation - he was the most obnoxious anti god guy hated by all and the wind had not blown for days with food and water running out - the crew were looking for him (to eat him) and his prayers were answered and the wind blew saving him, hence the words.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind but now I see
Was Grace that taught my heart to fear
And Grace, my fears relieved
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed

How do you judge that one, redemption or hate him?
If a slave trader asking the lord for forgiveness and saw the error of his ways then of course he should be forgiven. But if like most they didn't a fought against the abolition of the slave trade then they are certainly not worthy of remembrance in any positive way.

Why do you need to bring your hatred into every subject?
The grooming gangs have nothing to do with the trans Atlantic slave trade displacing between 12.5 m and 25m people.

The rape and terrible abuse of thousands of girls in the UK can be seen as taking sexual slaves.
It can take many forms , unless you think that modern day slavery doesn't exist in Britain.
Tell me what's hateful about what im saying.

If a slave trader asking the lord for forgiveness and saw the error of his ways then of course he should be forgiven. But if like most they didn't a fought against the abolition of the slave trade then they are certainly not worthy of remembrance in any positive way.

Knew you would like that dilema.
The point is that some would just pull down Newton’s statue (if there is one) without delving just on the word of the gang they belong to.

The rape and terrible abuse of thousands of girls in the UK can be seen as taking sexual slaves.
It can take many forms , unless you think that modern day slavery doesn't exist in Britain.
Tell me what's hateful about what im saying.

All slavery is bad and needs to be sorted out no matter who does it or is on the receiving end.

You only mentioned it to aid your cause. You are becoming better at this politicking malarky lol.

if we are talking slave trade then we have to mention muslims who invented it . Even today the too ten countries in the world who have slaves are muslim. If blm can say statues of our historical characters upset them because of slavery, then for the same reason many of us are upset looking at mosques because of muslims awful history with slaves which even continues today.

The Egyptian pyramid builders were not slaves. I'm not saying they weren't engaged in back-breaking work for the duration of their short lives and may have experienced a touch of arthritis towards the end, but they absolutely jumped at the job when it was offered because of the three square meals, the honor which it conferred upon them, and the guarantee of a nice burial plot. They were definitely not slaves and I must say that this suggestion is deeply offensive to those of us who can see nothing but good in others and bad in ourselves.

The people who built the Aztec temples are a bit trickier. There's the whole sacrificing themselves in their 1000's on a daily basis to get round for one thing. We have to assume they were cool with that because it must have all made sense in their Aztec cosmology, plus we're waiting for some study to discover it was all Jesuit propaganda further disseminated by an early episode of Dr Who, and that the Aztec workforce actually provides conclusive evidence of pre-Colombian unionization, but I have to say the jury's still out on that one.

Now the White Sea Canal mob, they're very hard to figure out. The official record says they were a rum lot -anarchists, kulaks, members of the left opposition and such like- who all willingly participated in an enlightened reform-through-labour program- but, and this is controversial given who these people were, there are diaries and other records suggesting that some of them were not entirely happy and that in the provision for their well being, mistakes, sometimes quite big mistakes, may have been made. But we do have to take into account the difficult circumstances in which the Soviet regime found itself at the time, internationally isolated, a looming threat from Nazi Germany, and a work force who by and large were thick as mince and lazy with it. As a consequence, I'd not go so far as to argue that the canal ought to be filled in, but I'm glad that they stopped calling it the Stalin White Sea-Baltic Canal.

Is that historical?
What about the statues of kings married at age 13, tear down as they are now deemed pedophiles
Kings that persecuted religion, tear down - hate crime
Ban the koran or bible or mein kampf or marx, maybe just destroy Marx's tomb.

This is not about whether we agree with something historic or not its about fascist minded individuals any era from all sides taking down anything they don't like and destroying or trying to alter history.

Did you agree with Isis tearing down historical statues. Those statues were also from a civilisation that had slaves.

So many johnny come latelys up in arms. I have known about the Bristol statue for as long as I can remember but thought as much as I hated it I accepted that it should be better used for education.
So many people never done a thing and never will towards real life changes for all people have now become the thought police in their new moral religion.
You dodged it.

It is historical as it happened a few years ago. If you like we can leave it about 125 years, similar to Coulston, and then put it up. Ok?

Ok, let's have a memorial to Harold Shipman as many of his patients thought highly of him. Only fascists would want to pull it down, eh Jerry?

Not sure the Harold Shipman or Jimmy Saville arguments are relevant as, of course, we wouldn't erect statues to them now, knowing what we now know. I would argue that a Jimmy Saville one, put up in the 70's would have been appropriate then due to his charity work. Removing it now would also be appropriate but there are ways of doing it. If the protesters in Bristol had their way, there would be swathes of rabid activists tearing down statues and memorials all over the place. Thats not the way a civilised society works.

if we are talking slave trade then we have to mention muslims who invented it . Even today the too ten countries in the world who have slaves are muslim. If blm can say statues of our historical characters upset them because of slavery, then for the same reason many of us are upset looking at mosques because of muslims awful history with slaves which even continues today.

another one adding their diversion to their enemies