What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol? | Page 6 | Vital Football

What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol?

Which people decided upon them in the first place?

Yes, they're our history. As I said, put them in a museum. Or the harbour, lol!

If any of this makes a real change to ordinary people lives equality wise and economically then all well and good.
Be good if someone did something about the epidemic of kids stabbed on our streets but their lives don't seem to matter.

I have given my warning/insight so will probably not waste time posting anymore.

I'm not sure that's true, nobby. I don't think it's a case of a mob tearing down statues and memorials all over the place. That's not about to start happening and the Colston statue coming down in now way suggests it might be!

The Floyd murder was the spark that lit the fire and it was initially all about police brutality against the black community in the states. But the fire has spread and this is now an international movement and the issue is racism in general.

And it was this current climate and the fact that it was a long-hated statue. It was a particular statue at a particular time. Not just loads of indiscriminate statues, any time, any place, any where. (Remember I'm not talking about temporary 'damage' like paint, I mean proper damage, or 'destruction' if you like!)

Superintendent Andy Bennett deserves much respect and praise for his policing of the whole thing. Seriously, big up the police this time, credit where credit is due and all that. I'm just really hoping that nobody is going to get charged for it, certainly hope nobody gets convicted.

Although maybe it's even worth it, those who get charged will then have their names go down in history as the heroes who finally did what the council had failed to do and pull down a piece of junk that was nothing more than a, "painful reminder to [Bristol's] black communities." If anybody gets anything more than a slap on the wrist for this I can see it leading to further protests. I know Bristol well, I know what it's like there. And so do the Bristol police. Obviously! They've handled this well so far and obviously they've got to do their job, but here's hoping that common sense continues to prevail.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/right-wing-people-came-down-4205570
Here is food for thought .What if Bennett had been in charge at Hillsborough the day 96 fans died because a policeman could not see beyond his own importance. My guess is nobody would have died .Policing should always have that bit of flexibility if the matter calls for it .Would it have been better had half a dozen protesters and police had ended up in hospital or worse?For what ? A statue that frankly most of us would have voted to have it removed had we been asked.If Bennett gets punished I for one will sign a petition demanding his reinstatement and write to my MP.

If any of this makes a real change to ordinary people lives equality wise and economically then all well and good.
Be good if someone did something about the epidemic of kids stabbed on our streets but their lives don't seem to matter.

I have given my warning/insight so will probably not waste time posting anymore.

Same Jerry - I agree with all of this, and if you live or work in London you'll know that a black kid was being killed in the capital once a week. None of the gangstas, thugs and drug dealers would have cared less about statues and history from the 1600's. If vandalising statues gives joy to self-righteous white folk then that is quite sad, but they can't pretend it will have any affect in the 'hood

Why do you need to bring your hatred into every subject?
The grooming gangs have nothing to do with the trans Atlantic slave trade displacing between 12.5 m and 25m people.

Agreed.

Valencia, people get your position, you've said it a thousand times and your dim view of Islam. That is your right, but others don't want to keep reading it judging by the alerts and you shouldn't be turning every thread into this subject.

I am getting more and more alerts about this and whilst the community don't want bans etc, you could now you have made your views so very clear, stop saying the same things in every single thread PLEASE.

We all get it. Now stop it, otherwise whether the community wants it or not, we are going to have to remove you. I can't deal with this many alerts each and every day.

Couple of observations of completely different approaches:

First case: retain artefacts but learn lessons
Germany makes no attempt of covering up its ugly 20th century past. Instead, there are artefacts scattered all over Berlin supplemented with swathes of educational material - all free to access. It’s certainly not a celebration of WW2 or Cold War.

Second case: remove artefacts from public display and express regret
The older universities launched an inquiry in 2019 to understand how they profited from slavery and colleges have been removing artefacts. Their VC has also expressed regret:

“We cannot change the past, but not should we seek to hide from it. I hope this process will help the University understand and acknowledge it’s role during that dark phase of human history”.

Third case: destroy the artefacts
The Saddam Hussain statue in Firdos Square is one notable past example. Tends to be ‘spur-of-the-moment’ public expression of deep suppressed anger. It’s not hooliganism but a symbolic act to mark change.

Same Jerry - I agree with all of this, and if you live or work in London you'll know that a black kid was being killed in the capital once a week. None of the gangstas, thugs and drug dealers would have cared less about statues and history from the 1600's. If vandalising statues gives joy to self-righteous white folk then that is quite sad, but they can't pretend it will have any affect in the 'hood

I share your concern about the black kids being killed in London and across our country but you've gone off piste at the end of your post.

It wasn't only white folks pulling the statue down.

The "hood" is inhabited by the full range of people from babies through to great grandparents, a narrower range of wealth than elsewhere but a range nevertheless and many of the most committed, local, volunteer community workers and generally good people. This I know from firsthand experience. I know too that many of those people are deeply offended that their attempts to belong and to contribute have been denigrated and rejected due to racism of one sort, or another. Believe me the will to remove the marks of racism and slavery is widespread and strong.

Couple of observations of completely different approaches:

First case: retain artefacts but learn lessons
Germany makes no attempt of covering up its ugly 20th century past. Instead, there are artefacts scattered all over Berlin supplemented with swathes of educational material - all free to access. It’s certainly not a celebration of WW2 or Cold War.

Second case: remove artefacts from public display and express regret
The older universities launched an inquiry in 2019 to understand how they profited from slavery and colleges have been removing artefacts. Their VC has also expressed regret:

“We cannot change the past, but not should we seek to hide from it. I hope this process will help the University understand and acknowledge it’s role during that dark phase of human history”.

Third case: destroy the artefacts
The Saddam Hussain statue in Firdos Square is one notable past example. Tends to be ‘spur-of-the-moment’ public expression of deep suppressed anger. It’s not hooliganism but a symbolic act to mark change.
Thank fuck I'm colour blind

I made that point in another post but stangely no one took me up on it. People were justifying Coulson's memorial for his charitable work.

Don`t know if it`s true, but I heard that Coulson funded the building of Hospitals and Schools in Bristol, should we pull them down ? I don`t know the answer, just putting it out here.......

Don`t know if it`s true, but I heard that Coulson funded the building of Hospitals and Schools in Bristol, should we pull them down ? I don`t know the answer, just putting it out here.......
Blimey, carry on like that and London will look like this

user994191_pic70701_1299438637.jpg

Superintendent Andy Bennett deserves much respect and praise for his policing of the whole thing. Seriously, big up the police this time, credit where credit is due and all that. I'm just really hoping that nobody is going to get charged for it, certainly hope nobody gets convicted.

Following the phone call made by the Home Office to Avon & Somerset`s Chief Constable, i`d be surprised if police don`t make a submission to the Crown Prosecution Service - it`ll be up to the CPS as to whether a prosecution follows.

I think there should be a prosecution, as not to do so would, in effect, endorse the perception that it`s fine for people to independently trash statues etc because they`ve decided they don`t like them. I don`t think that society deserves those sort of criminals - not yet, anyway !

The area I live in is safe statue wise I think. We have a statue of the late, great, John Bonham of Led Zepp fame. Nice picture (that i can't find at the moment) of Robert Plant standing in front of it reflecting one evening.

Hopefully One Direction fans don't become militant and pull it down!!!!!!

I don't recollect anyone suggesting the buildings should be pulled down. The victims paid for them with their lives and labour.

Anyway, are you up or a Saville memorial, given you've pointed out the use made of funds "raised"?

So now Sir Robert Peel has to come down because his father was "pro slavery", where will it end?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....s/anger-over-calls-remove-robert-18387246.amp

I know a guy with the surname 'Peel'.
His grandfather was found as an abandoned new born , and his family could not be traced.
The police gave the child the name Peel.

My friend's research into the subject show he was not the only one to be allocated this surname under similar circumstances.

I don't recollect anyone suggesting the buildings should be pulled down. The victims paid for them with their lives and labour.

Anyway, are you up or a Saville memorial, given you've pointed out the use made of funds "raised"?

Don`t really follow about the Coulson funded hospitals in Bristol. I`d heard that Coulson paid for them, not that someone in particular was planning to pull them down. But, (I presume) they were built on the profit of slavery (?) and will always be seen as such, so I was just wondering if pulling them down might be on the agenda of those who dumped the statue in the river, matter of principle and all that.

Re Saville, as Nobs implied, we can consider the Saville issue in a contemporary climate - so, I wouldn`t be in favour of erecting one. On the contrary, as happened in Scotland a couple of years back to the statue/carving of Saville there, I`d support the local authority in removing it.

Don`t really follow about the Coulson funded hospitals in Bristol. I`d heard that Coulson paid for them, not that someone in particular was planning to pull them down. But, (I presume) they were built on the profit of slavery (?) and will always be seen as such, so I was just wondering if pulling them down might be on the agenda of those who dumped the statue in the river, matter of principle and all that.

Re Saville, as Nobs implied, we can consider the Saville issue in a contemporary climate - so, I wouldn`t be in favour of erecting one. On the contrary, as happened in Scotland a couple of years back to the statue/carving of Saville there, I`d support the local authority in removing it.

Virtually every stately home in the country was built on the profits of exploitation.
Boycott the National Trust.
While we’re at it, pull down many iconic buildings in Liverpool.