What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol? | Page 3 | Vital Football

What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol?

Is putting it back up a voting option for the good citizens of Bristol, or is that foreclosed in advance? My preference would be to put it back up and stick a plaque next to it with an account of why its was put up, why its was thought to be ok at the time and by whom, and why it is thought to be utterly dodgy today. Don't spare the details on the latter. Oh, and leave space for future revisions.

I'm not for tearing statues down and changing street/town names as a rule. OK if it's Hitler in the middle of Warsaw and you've kicked out the Germans two weeks ago. But old stuff that's become part of the urban furniture? Slow down the cleaning cycle and let the pigeons do their work.

let's get back to our fave topic muslims. Prophet Mohammed had many slaves, Arab muslims had slaves longer than the atlantic slave trade. I see a mosque I immediately think of the slave trade, it annoys me and brings back horrible memories from years ago. History lessons that had a deep affect on my life and I continue to have nightmares to this day.

let's get back to our fave topic muslims. Prophet Mohammed had many slaves, Arab muslims had slaves longer than the atlantic slave trade. I see a mosque I immediately think of the slave trade, it annoys me and brings back horrible memories from years ago. History lessons that had a deep affect on my life and I continue to have nightmares to this day.

Feel better now you have managed to add the Muslims into the thread lol.
You post is historically correct though :)

Jimmy Savile - did a lot of charitable work which tends to get overlooked these days.
I made that point in another post but stangely no one took me up on it. People were justifying Coulson's memorial for his charitable work.

Why waste money replacing it if in the future a different group of fascists decide they don't agree with it only to replace it with a statue that another group of fascists decide they don't like it.

I will say it again, If rightly some people did not like it and upset them so much then they have had years to do do something about it.
Why did they not block the area every single weekend demonstrating and giving out leaflets to locals and pushing for its removal.
The trouble with real protest is that you need to make an effort and sacrifice but it was just too much trouble and they could not be arsed. Must have really been worrying them.

Will nelsons column be next, why not destroy all mention of events in history, Isis tactics. People need to be educated and you do that by being told the truth good or bad.
Off now to destroy Thatcher’s statue as she did everything against my white working class privileged identity. If you were not a white working class person at the time then please do not comment as you cannot understand how I felt lol.

Divide and rule - you know it makes sense.
How about a statue to Jimmy Saville then Jerry? Ok?

The pyramids were built using slave labour too. I hope no one suggests tearing them down!

The pyramids were built using slave labour too. I hope no one suggests tearing them down!
That’s historically incorrect. The archaeological evidence shows that the pyramids were surrounded by villages of craftsmen and casual labourers. Work on the pyramids wasn’t continuous and was carried out in slack times between harvests. There is no evidence of forced labour.

Colston was a product of his time, that isn't to make excuses for him but was he a nasty man.
He was born into a world that saw white slavery as being normal, parents would sell their own children into servitude, young children would be sent up chimneys to clean them, someone falling on hard times ended up in debtors prison, women and children sent to workhouses.
Colston was wrong in what he did but knew no better, modern racism (and slavery as it still goes on) is by people who do know better, People raised in the modern world have no excuse for their behavior.

How about a statue to Jimmy Saville then Jerry? Ok?

Is that historical?
What about the statues of kings married at age 13, tear down as they are now deemed pedophiles
Kings that persecuted religion, tear down - hate crime
Ban the koran or bible or mein kampf or marx, maybe just destroy Marx's tomb.

This is not about whether we agree with something historic or not its about fascist minded individuals any era from all sides taking down anything they don't like and destroying or trying to alter history.

Did you agree with Isis tearing down historical statues. Those statues were also from a civilisation that had slaves.

So many johnny come latelys up in arms. I have known about the Bristol statue for as long as I can remember but thought as much as I hated it I accepted that it should be better used for education.
So many people never done a thing and never will towards real life changes for all people have now become the thought police in their new moral religion.

You mean the actions that could have been done if the lazy thought police had bothered.

Then you will ensure equal opportunity. Exactly what needs to done and how are you going to do it, words and stunts are easy, will it just be for ancestors of slavery?
Have you just discovered civil rights and protest?
White exceptionalist! Nothing will be done until the likes of you and others petition for action. It doesn't happen on its own sunshine.

Colston was a product of his time, that isn't to make excuses for him but was he a nasty man.
He was born into a world that saw white slavery as being normal, parents would sell their own children into servitude, young children would be sent up chimneys to clean them, someone falling on hard times ended up in debtors prison, women and children sent to workhouses.
Colston was wrong in what he did but knew no better, modern racism (and slavery as it still goes on) is by people who do know better, People raised in the modern world have no excuse for their behavior.
Quite right but discrimination is happening today on our doorstep.

That’s historically incorrect. The archaeological evidence shows that the pyramids were surrounded by villages of craftsmen and casual labourers. Work on the pyramids wasn’t continuous and was carried out in slack times between harvests. There is no evidence of forced labour.

You mean, current theory says.
The pyramids were not one period but built over millennia (hundreds of years). The latest information in the workers town found at one place where the pyramids were built shows no evidence of slaves but does not exclude slaves. The other pyramid sites do not show much evidence either way.

Every nation and race had slaves. We were made slaves over and over again. Its history, its what humans do rightly or wrongly.

Last edited:
Quite right but discrimination is happening today on our doorstep.

I did not know that you are so enlightening. No idea of that when my son was called **** and assaulted, did not know it when my black niece was forced to eat grass by her classmates whist calling her the N word.
No idea when bailing out black kids in brixton and thousands of other wvents. Should not type much more as you don't fully read posts.

No use talking, what have you or are you doing about it or suggesting in detail what needs to be done?

I made that point in another post but stangely no one took me up on it. People were justifying Coulson's memorial for his charitable work.
If my work directly causes the death of thousands but i give money to a well deserved charity should i be most remembered for the former or the latter?

White exceptionalist! Nothing will be done until the likes of you and others petition for action. It doesn't happen on its own sunshine.

Run out of ideas and slogans? Stupid boy, can you read, I have not just done that for 50 years I have been saying it, lectured and acting on it. I was on the police watchlist because of it.

White exceptionalist - white privilege lol. Told my son that, he is laughing his head off as I have been fighting this from before he was born and call out anyone anywhere. Stop dividing on identity and race, we are one and need to free all as one.

Arab slave traders operating in East Africa go back to before the dark ages. In 1966 we were engaged with two other RN ships trying to prevent them getting to the gulf, with limited success. As far as anybody knows they are still at it.

October of 2019, 39 Vietnamese migrants die in the back of a refrigerated lorry, they were almost certainly destined for the modern slave trade.
Over the last couple of weeks there have been over 100 migrants a week trying to cross the channel, victims of the people traffickers.
How is it that we are talking about someone who lived 350 years ago, yet doing nothing to stop what is going on today.

If my work directly causes the death of thousands but i give money to a well deserved charity should i be most remembered for the former or the latter?

Was it yesterday or hundreds of years ago lol.

Depends if you did bad things but repented and then helped as penance in grace and became a minister and then preached against the trade helping to get it abolished.
You probably know - That was john newton who was a slaver he wrote ‘amazing grace’ about the moment he was saved by giving himself to god in exchange for salvation - he was the most obnoxious anti god guy hated by all and the wind had not blown for days with food and water running out - the crew were looking for him (to eat him) and his prayers were answered and the wind blew saving him, hence the words.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind but now I see
Was Grace that taught my heart to fear
And Grace, my fears relieved
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed

How do you judge that one, redemption or hate him?

Arab slave traders operating in East Africa go back to before the dark ages. In 1966 we were engaged with two other RN ships trying to prevent them getting to the gulf, with limited success. As far as anybody knows they are still at it.

It's happening in the UK , except its called 'grooming gangs'