What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol? | Page 2 | Vital Football

What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol?

I have just read the Bristol police chief's account of events and I think he made some sound decisions. I am not talking about the rights and wrongs of what demonstrators did but about practical policing in your own home town. Plenty of time for the law to take its course later.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/right-wing-people-came-down-4205570

I think we can see what " some vets/lads going to protect the cenotaph" is really all about and who came looking for a fight.

Replacement statue: I don`t know their name yet, but whoever it is that receives a sentence for criminal damage for pulling it down. And then, still not knowing names, but whoever it is/they are that pull down the statue of the person who pulled down the statue, and so on....... until such time as people prefer to have a long standing statue in place, i`d suggest Rodin`s "The Thinker" - so that people can ponder whether contemporary obsession with virtue signalling over things in the distant past is more constructive and preferable to dealing with history as just that, history. People learn from history, it makes little sense to try and unpick it and hide it. If society is democratically unhappy with a statue for historical reasons - put the statue in a museum and allow current and future generations to learn from it, for goodness sake.

Replacement statue: I don`t know their name yet, but whoever it is that receives a sentence for criminal damage for pulling it down. And then, still not knowing names, but whoever it is/they are that pull down the statue of the person who pulled down the statue, and so on....... until such time as people prefer to have a long standing statue in place, i`d suggest Rodin`s "The Thinker" - so that people can ponder whether contemporary obsession with virtue signalling over things in the distant past is more constructive and preferable to dealing with history as just that, history. People learn from history, it makes little sense to try and unpick it and hide it. If society is democratically unhappy with a statue for historical reasons - put the statue in a museum and allow current and future generations to learn from it, for goodness sake.
Clearly we haven't learnt enough

In these modern times, whoever the new statue represents, it should be made from the recycled melted down and recast bronze from the Colston statue.

Not a bad shout, BBS. I think Bristol council intend to retrieve it and maybe put it in a museum. That's not a bad idea either.

Why waste money replacing it if in the future a different group of fascists decide they don't agree with it only to replace it with a statue that another group of fascists decide they don't like it.

I will say it again, If rightly some people did not like it and upset them so much then they have had years to do do something about it.
Why did they not block the area every single weekend demonstrating and giving out leaflets to locals and pushing for its removal.
The trouble with real protest is that you need to make an effort and sacrifice but it was just too much trouble and they could not be arsed. Must have really been worrying them.

Will nelsons column be next, why not destroy all mention of events in history, Isis tactics. People need to be educated and you do that by being told the truth good or bad.
Off now to destroy Thatcher’s statue as she did everything against my white working class privileged identity. If you were not a white working class person at the time then please do not comment as you cannot understand how I felt lol.

Divide and rule - you know it makes sense.

That's a good shout. Although those of asian ethnicity may feel aggrieved

Yes, my wife wants to know why she is left out as asian and a women plus we need to have a trans child.

People need to think deeply the thought police are being created and many on here are agreeing with its introduction.

We should be looking at the future, two children holding hands, one black one white.
That could also represent a celebration of the end to coronavirus a great idea.My elder brother works in the Bristol area I will put that suggestion to him.I feel sure he will like it and he has a little bit of a say in that area so might be able to put that forward at some point.

There should be a monument to slavery where the statue stood. the statue should be rescued from the drink and put in a heritage centre with full chapter and verse as to how Bristol, along with other UK cities, got rich on the back of slavery. That's one small step but much, much more has to be done to ensure equal opportunity even if it means direct positive action.

There should be a monument to slavery where the statue stood. the statue should be rescued from the drink and put in a heritage centre with full chapter and verse as to how Bristol, along with other UK cities, got rich on the back of slavery. That's one small step but much, much more has to be done to ensure equal opportunity even if it means direct positive action.

You mean the actions that could have been done if the lazy thought police had bothered.

Then you will ensure equal opportunity. Exactly what needs to done and how are you going to do it, words and stunts are easy, will it just be for ancestors of slavery?
Have you just discovered civil rights and protest?