Weight Training Thread | Page 159 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

Frightening Cheshire. Just gone too far!!!!

And....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 0
30 mins of active boxing ie not counting the 30 sec rest periods. Was wonderfully soaked by the end.

Made for an enjoyable session not trying to fit it in after a weights session etc.

Nicely tired now.

Just about managing to get to the gym twice a week. Ideally prefer to push that to a minimum 4 times, but just not possible at the moment. So...., unlike most on here that have a day for back, legs, arms etc, I have pretty much been training all in one day, and am also fitting in a 20 minute jog. Not sure if this is the way to go, or the most efficient way to work out, but with only 2 visits, I figure I get to train everywhere, let those muscles rest before going again.
I get through 3 sets of 15 on the leg press, hip adductor, thigh adductor, leg extension/curl? seated row, chest press, torso rotation, arm curl, bench press, calf raise, back and abdominal extension, a couple more machines and also run, stretch and warm down. So, all machine based, and am aware free weights are better, which is the longer term goal, but just getting back into the swing of things for now.
One question, I'm quite top heavy, with a relatively wide torso, but slimmer legs. I'm 6ft, 12 1/2 stone (sometimes up to 12st 10 ish). Fat ratio about 25%, (mostly waist upwards). Should I focus on more aerobics to slim my top, and balance this out with more emphasis on legs. Not particularly focused on major muscle mass increase for now, just balancing top and bottom halves whilst burning fat.

Might as well leave that to the expert! However I've lost over 20% body fat 'just' doing weights. Well, weights and boxing. Tried spin bike as well but knees won't tolerate that.

Personally I'd do it through weight training and as you are doing 15 reps if you are really going for it, not having long breaks between exercises etc, there is some aerobic benefit as well.

And two days is certainly better than no days. As per loads of previous posts in this thread, concentrate on good form mate.

I was told once that weight training is one of the most efficient ways to lose weight. Losing weight i believe is all about raising the bodies temperature. i know i feel 200 degrees after only doing 10mins of intensive weights!

upthevilla - 19/7/2014 23:42

Just about managing to get to the gym twice a week.

I have pretty much been training all in one day, and am also fitting in a 20 minute jog. Not sure if this is the way to go, or the most efficient way to work out.

It's not

I get through 3 sets of 15 on the leg press, hip adductor, thigh adductor, leg extension/curl? seated row, chest press, torso rotation, arm curl, bench press, calf raise, back and abdominal extension,

One question, Should I focus on more aerobics to slim my top, and balance this out with more emphasis on legs. Not particularly focused on major muscle mass increase for now, just balancing top and bottom halves whilst burning fat.

Total body twice a week is not only overtraining, it is not possible to have enough fuel in your body to maintain the intensity required for that length of workout, you ARE consuming your own muscle mass to fuel your workouts.

My advice.

Do a two day split + 20mins of HIIT

On day one

20mins of HIIT, do not just stick with the treadmill, use a rower, a spin bike, an elliptical, a cross trainer, use a different aerobic machine each time, HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training, with the focus on intensity, max output, fast as you can for 30 seconds and follow that with 3 mins at 50% of max and repeat.....you can do that on any machine.

After HIIT you need some recovery time, have a drink, a banana or something similar to help replenish some juice for the weights.

Weights

30 seconds rest between sets, 1 minute between exercises.

Slow and smooth! 2 seconds travel in each direction, this is quality over quantity, you will feel the difference.

Leg press - after warm up, feet and knees six inches apart and keep them there! 1 set of 15 + 2 sets of failure, weight should be sufficient that you fail to reach 15 on your second and third sets. Or in other words, hammer them!

Repeat with feet and knees shoulder width apart, already warm so same weight : )

Choose 2 back exercises and 2 chest exercises, 1 set of 12 + 2 sets to failure per exercise, same rules as above.

Day 2

Follow the HIIT as above

Weights

DB Lunges, forward and reverse, aim for 3 sets of 20 reps each leg, each direction.

Choose 2 Triceps, 2 biceps, 2 shoulder exercises, upper body so 12 reps rule, same as.

Finish with toe press on the leg press machine, straight leg, feet positioned on the bottom of the plate, half on, you should be able to pull the toes back towards you and then push them away using a full range of motion, allow no flexion in the knee, 1 set of 20 slow and then a faster, but still smooth pump to muscle failure (cramp)

As you do your exercises you should be stabilising your core, this is achieved by strict form, and a few planks wouldn't go amiss, to failure, obviously : ) you can chuck these in twice or three times a week, 48 hour gap minimum.

The above covers you, adductors/extensions/curls, yes they are all effective, extensions can also cause a lot of damage to your knees, the presses and the lunges work the legs through a nice range of motion and the lunges in particular will work all of the stabilisers and yes, even your core, again!

Follow the above instructions, with the correct rest, diet and water intake, I guarantee that it will not only strip the fat but will also give your body balance.

"Not particularly focused on major muscle mass increase" Without a major investment in steroids, training time, diet and supplementation that's not a problem you have to worry about, so hammer it.

So I had a number of travel plans for work and play recently so getting to a gym wasn't guaranteed. Instead (and to be certain I kept up the exercise regime) I stupidly agreed to be a part of a friend's fitness challenge/initiative: the 2014 Le Tour de Push-up.

Basically involves doing a push-up for each km cycled during Le Tour de France (3,664 in total).

Rules outlined below:
Rounding UP - Stages with part KM round up to next KM - i.e. Stage 3
145.5KM = 146 Push-Ups

STAGE PROFILE
Prologue: One set of Push-Ups;
Individual Time Trial: Normal Plain Push-Ups (One set)
Flat: Normal Plain Push-Ups (can be broken-up into any number of sets as necessary to get them done);
Hilly: 1/2 mix of Normal & Incline Push-Ups (can be broken-up into any number of sets);
Mountains: Incline Push-Ups (can be broken-up into any number of sets);
NB: Stage 5 has 9 cobbled sectors and labelled as the "battlefield" so this stage requires 18 incline clap push-ups (2 for every cobbled km sector)
Rest Day: Rest Day

I can tell you right now, I was in reasonable shape before I started and I thought I was OK at doing push-ups, with my max around 45-50. I can now bang out a set of 60 without any trouble whatsoever. On the final day I will do a max reps set and see how far I have come. I will be doing it again next year for sure.

thanks juan. that is a very good guideline. will try it out this week. i like your 30seconds rest rule. i religiously follow 1 minutes rest in between sets, but yeah 30secs is a better way to shock the muscles/fat into overdrive.

could you list down a good diet to follow? if you have ill refer to the previous posts

One more rep... Hmmmm, I wonder who amongst us might be guilty of screaming that at clients?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
Gruck - 22/7/2014 17:52

thanks juan. that is a very good guideline. will try it out this week. i like your 30seconds rest rule. i religiously follow 1 minutes rest in between sets, but yeah 30secs is a better way to shock the muscles/fat into overdrive.

could you list down a good diet to follow? if you have ill refer to the previous posts

No problem mate.

30 seconds rest has long been recognised as the optimum rest period for muscle growth, I can say with confidence that it is.

Plenty of advice in the diet and nutrition thread, start by popping in and having a look, if you're okay with a complete overhaul go for it, if you want to "tidy up" your current dietary regime, just list a typical days intake of food and fluid and we'll alter it from there :35:

I am doing a 6-7 100 mile bike ride soon. So far training has gone OK. I did a 73 mile ride last Sunday, it was hard. I was hurting like hell 50 miles in, particularly my back.

As a one off, could I take a couple of pain killers for the ride itself (if I need hem), or is that a definite no no.

Cheers Juan. Will adapt training at next session. Have a feeling my legs will have a mind of their own the following day :17:

tarzan - 22/7/2014 21:34

I am doing a 6-7 100 mile bike ride soon.

To clarify, are you saying you are doing a 6-700 mile bike ride?

As a one off, could I take a couple of pain killers for the ride itself (if I need hem), or is that a definite no no.

Yes!

There have been some studies that say there is a link between pain killer and anti inflammatory use and cardiac events, there are more studies that advise against their use due to the possibility of masking real problems which will result in further injury and overtraining, and yet even more studies that say you can happily bang yourself silly on them and that they actually help in muscle growth!

Unfortunately I have much experience of this and over the last 10 years especially, have performed all sorts of exercises for various lengths of time while on high strength pain killers and anti inflammatories, I'm still here.

Obviously your decision, I am not a Doctor.

Frankus - 22/7/2014 06:11

So I had a number of travel plans for work and play recently so getting to a gym wasn't guaranteed. Instead (and to be certain I kept up the exercise regime) I stupidly agreed to be a part of a friend's fitness challenge/initiative: the 2014 Le Tour de Push-up.

Interesting challenge! Not very balanced though, but interesting. Perfect form I hope!? :17:

I'm sure it's on here somewhere but what amount a whey protein should you have after training. Is 24g in every 30g a good ratio?

The pump from the arm routine Juan recommended me is insane. Wish they could stay like that all the time!!

Loving the new preacher bench I bought as well, isolates the biceps very nicely!

SKEGGY - 23/7/2014 19:50

I'm sure it's on here somewhere but what amount a whey protein should you have after training. Is 24g in every 30g a good ratio?

24g is sufficient, which powder is it?