Weight Training Thread | Page 241 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

Yes. My doctor (who does triathlons) said as a rule of thumb it takes as long to get back to the level of fitness you were at as the time you were unable to run for. So I was off for 6 weeks and it was about that length of time it took me to get to where I felt happy.

Not sure if that equates to weight training or not.

No, not really sirdennis, if I can get a straight go at this now without more problems, I'd say it would be a couple of months tops to get back to the weight I was lifting, if that. And muscle does have memory, hope mine hasn't got amnesia because it has been a couple of very on / off years. It's been an on / off kind of life for training in reality.

Did a leg session today, doing a 4 day a week, 8 week in length training program. Thought todays session looked quite easy.

I WAS WRONG

Which is great really, I was soaked.

Very much doubt I will have any use for my stairs tomorrow. :lol:

They weren't best pleased with my stairs for a few days Juan, but I think they have appreciated getting back to action!

Feck and ouch were used a few times last week!

Great to see you back dude.

Hi chaps. Do you know of any killer glute stretches? Really struggled this morning at the gym - squat jumps on to step, mountain climbers, etc. Even the press ups were giving me some discomfort. Think the hip area in general needs work. Anybody on YouTube that you know demos good form? Much appreciated.

Said before I know but... From Train Mag

"a review of 33 previous studies about lifting and depression including nearly 2000 participants, found strength training was associated with significant reductions in symptoms of depression.

This was true regardless of the participant's age, sex or health status; whether they trained for two weeks or a year; whether they worked out twice a week or every day; and whether their workout was high volume and intense or more moderate."

Bit of a concession to age, I have sold 25kg, 27.5kg and 30kg dumbells today.

Too much for aging joints. Lower weights when using dumbells and nice controlled slow action is the order of the day.

I have been going to the gym reasonably regularly for the past 2 months. I try to go 3 times a week but I'd say it averages 2 times per week and I didn't go at all for 2 weeks while my dad was here.

For the past two days I have been feeling very hungry. I eat lunch at 1pm and then I'm hungry by 4pm. I eat breakfast around 10am (after the gym) but I'll be hungry by noon.

Around ten years ago I was going to the gym 3 times a week and going to football training 3 times per week but I was eating like a horse too. I didn't care about my belly, I just wanted to put on muscle.

I don't want to go so big this time and I'd like to have a flatish stomach but I don't want to eat steamed chicken breast and broccoli 3 times per day.

Any tips for not being hungry without any major changes?

All well? Sounds good re the gym mate, good to look after yourself.

I'd go a little bit higher protein. I find a tablespoon of olive oil helps as well. It is ok to get a bit of good fat into you. After training, maybe try a protein shake (whey)

Big big big thing though, make sure you are hungry and not thirsty. Don't go dehydrating. 2 litres of water a day. It's not that much if you think of 4 x 500ml bottles. Obviously other drinks count towards it as well (not beer though! LOL)

Your body will ask for more fuel when training, it's just the need to get the right fuel. Cut down/out simple carbs and sugars. So white rice, bread, pizza etc whilst trying to lose the weight at least. Go higher on some nice meat, other protein, and some decent veg.

BB had pm'd me the above because i missed the thread. He also asked if white rice and bread are bad. Might as well post the answer here:

They aren't 'bad', but if you are wanting to lose weight, they aren't helpful, so cut them down, especially later in the day. They are a quick source of energy for the body but if you don't burn that energy, same as anything, it's stored as fat.

They are sort of a 'negative' food though because the fibre has been removed basically so your body has to deal with them but doesn't really get that much out of the food.

Losing weight, as above, cut down on the carbs, you don't have to cut them out totally if you love them, but it is a good way to get fat down, especially when training as well.

The other way is work out what your resting calorie intake should be, there are calculators, I'll link to one. And calorie count, I find that gets a bit boring.

A food diary isn't a bad idea either, you don't always realise what you are eating and you can start to see habits (good or bad!)

I have a routine in the gym that seems to work pretty well for me. I do 15 minutes on the bikes, free weights and the multi-gym, 15 of crosstraining and then more free weights and multi-gym.

I'm starting to feel that the weights are getting easier but I'm reluctant to go up in weight since I'm naturally a big guy and I'm already squeezing my arms into some of my shirts. I don't really want to do more reps since I'm already spending an hour there at a time but I'm worried that I'm not using my time well if I'm not pushing myself.

I started going to the gym to lose weight and to feel better (more energy, etc).

In my first session in the gym I cycled 5km in 15 minutes on level 6. Tonight, I cycled 6.95km in 15 minutes on level 7 so I can really see the difference there.

What's the right approach here?

Good progress on the cycling.

High reps, lower weights is what I'd do if you are looking more cardio than muscle gain.

You could split the routines so you do weights one day, the other stuff another etc.

With lower weights, you could take shorter breaks and so not take up so much time.

You could also look to do supersets, so less rest, go from one exercise, eg bicep curls, to another (of the opposite action is the one i like the most so in this instance triceps.

A good personal trainer should be able to do a routine to suit you

Higher weights doesn't necessarily mean big growth, but more muscle does help the body burn more fat!

Good progress on the cycling.

High reps, lower weights is what I'd do if you are looking more cardio than muscle gain.

You could split the routines so you do weights one day, the other stuff another etc.

With lower weights, you could take shorter breaks and so not take up so much time.

You could also look to do supersets, so less rest, go from one exercise, eg bicep curls, to another (of the opposite action is the one i like the most so in this instance triceps.

A good personal trainer should be able to do a routine to suit you

Higher weights doesn't necessarily mean big growth, but more muscle does help the body burn more fat!

What happens if I just keep doing the same routine?

I'm using the shitty gym in my condo so there is no personal trainer but we'll be moving soon. The new condo has a much better gym.

It's better than not doing a routine BB but your muscles adapt, so you are spending your time less effectively.

Another thing to try to shake things up a bit is just change the tempo.

So if you are 1 second up and 1 second down in a rep for a bicep curl as an example. Do 1 second up, pause at the top, and do 2 or 3 or whatever seconds down.

When you move (must tell me about that!) you could always get a personal trainer into your new gym to assess you and the gym and give you some pointers. They are invaluable, you don't guess learning how to drive but so many guess in the gym.

The sticky thread on weight training at the top is quite good as well BB.

Really pleased you are doing something, it stops the rot and your body will thank you!