Weight Training Thread | Page 238 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

Just reading the body coach/joe wicks 90 days into shape plan.

Few points i think he's wrong on.

He's saying HIIT 4-5 times a week (and doesn't stipulate build up or if you aren't fit you need to be careful and gradually get to HIIT)

He says take 1000mg vitamin c. I think, from what I've read, there are more and more doubts over these things. You can get your vitamin c more naturally, oranges, grapefruit, lemons, lime (and get other stuff from that... fresh not cartons of juice btw) plus bell peppers etc. Or like I do as insurance, sour cherry juice (you can get it from H&B or online) that you just add water to. Vit c tablets I think just gives you expensive piss and if you suffer from coldsores, too much c can bring those out

He recommends my protein. Juan agrees, bulkpowders are much better.

These one size fits all plans are a bit meh really aren't they? I know he's doing incredibly well and is growing in popularity, but the HIIT especially, is a real shock to me. It is called high intensity for a reason and your body needs time to recover.

He also says no weights in the first 90 day plan. Why? Weights are an excellent way to build fitness and lose fat.

Some of what he says does echo what myself and Juan have preached over the years in this and the fat loss thread though, using decent ingredients, use of herbs and spices etc. But on his plan he should be suggesting further reading for those I think as he doesn't say how much you need. Just a pinch here and there won't do much.

Interesting quick read though. His meals I didn't look very deeply into, I like to do my own meal plans but I guess for some it is good to have things regimented/laid out for them.

Well that was a mixed day. Got up full of plans for the day, training diary written last night, thought I'd do an am of a bit of light cardio.

Well, I achieved the getting up bit. I then sat down without any energy (I get these days, sometimes weeks, I have months) and didn't really move again until 2.30pm and didn't start to come round until 3pm.

I thought training might not be achievable but come 5ish I was down in the gym and completed a full (and decent) back session.

I then decided t finish off with some farmer walks with my dumbbells in the clear crisp outdoors.

Disappointing non day but very chuffed to have ended it with a full session. Fingers crossed onward and upward. Chest day tomorrow!

Apparently there is a difference between a medicine ball and a slam ball.

As I found when the medicine ball split in two after I slammed it just four times. Sorry Mr Gym Owner. Now I know!

The Fear - 3/1/2017 17:01

Whoops!

Indeed. I did ask somebody where they were and he said in the corner. Wrong corner! I like to think it split because of the might of my slam. But probably not. I did it as part of my warm up before a leg session. Can't easily sit down, get up or walk upstairs today. I rue the day Juan posted the leg exercises.

DOMS is the best!

Second day back, my back is already moaning, my chest will join in tomorrow... Shoulders tomorrow, they don't give you doms and then legs Thursday.

I can crawl, so Saturday will be fine.

Repeat after me, I WILL BE FINE! :3:

:116:

Good shoulder session, was happy with that.

Yesterday was leg day. Ouch I think explains that one! I was careful, lowered weight I had been doing and instead did nice and lowered nice, controlled and slow with some holds.

Warmed up with box jumps and once I was done with those, stepping on and off a large box, then onto a small, turned around, repeated

Did that a lot in-between sets as well.

Very pleased, especially as it was a low energy kind of day for me...

sirdennis - 23/12/2016 20:33

wise words and advice.

Buy some dumbbells :35:

Such as http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9017362 or better if you can afford it, it won't take you too long till you'll be able to use 20kg per dumbell

How are you feeling now?
Do you remember if you usually have more problems in cold weather?
What is your usual post race routine? And for the following few days?
When is your next half/full marathon?

Juan Mourep - 7/1/2017 04:07

sirdennis - 23/12/2016 20:33

wise words and advice.

Buy some dumbbells :35:

Such as http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9017362 or better if you can afford it, it won't take you too long till you'll be able to use 20kg per dumbell

How are you feeling now?
Do you remember if you usually have more problems in cold weather?
What is your usual post race routine? And for the following few days?
When is your next half/full marathon?

Thanks Juan I will sort out buying a set.

I am feeling ok thanks , doing really decent times at the Park Run (5k) and feling fine running during the week , maybe because I am doing one 10 mile run one 7.5 mile run and then the park run (normally with a 2 mile warm up ) so my mileage is down quite a bit. My concern is when I step it up again but at the moment it looks like my next main event will be a half marathon in April.

Yes I do struggle more in the cold / damp weather and my post race routine normally depends on how I feel. I always try and park a mile away from the start so I can have a brisk walk to the car after which seems to be an effective warm down. Also I have started doing some lunges and stretches after a run just to try a =nd remain more flexible.

Generally I will try and run every other day if I can.

Juan Mourep - 7/1/2017 04:10

Cheshire Villan - 3/1/2017 19:34

Can't easily sit down, get up or walk upstairs today.

:4: :4: :4: :73: :73: :73: :128:

Well done :35:

Lol. You are a knob! Legs again in the morning.

Started going in for 6.30. Thought it would be empty but very busy. Haven't these people got better things to do?

Better things than training.

That will be an unequivocal NO !

And on that note, chest training about to commence!

Juan, if you say what sort of exercises with dumbells you think sirdennis should do, he could come round to mine and I'll show him how to do them. Also he can then assess what sort of weight he feels comfortable with before buying a set.

Yeah, agreed Cheshire!

Yeah, I wish I could get up and train but it takes me a long time to properly come round from the early morning fog! Before my 2012 flair up I used to go to the local gym in the morning but it made work so much harder then so I am an evening trainer now, about 5pm onward. When I'm on my game I do sometimes manage a split routine and do some in the morning. If I'm on my back day sometimes I'll do the deadlifts a good few hours before the normal routine.

First time back on the punch bags last night. Did 20 mins, felt strong, loved it. It was at the end of my shoulder session, also felt strong with that.

The break hasn't harmed me I must say!

Nice, first time in 5 months I had confidence to do some deadlifts.

My personal best before the last op was 150kg. I managed 120kg today. Not too bad a drop in that amount of time really. I tried for 130kg which was a no. If I'd not, I think I might have pushed 125kg.

Still, no problem with the abs/lower ribs so looks like full steam ahead (again!) to try to reach my target of double my bodyweight.

Just to follow on from the message I left Juan in the "I'm not well" thread, I was planning on finally getting around to using those dumbbells I have lying around, and you mentioned before you could make a simple routine for me?

Really all I want to know is which are the exercises I should be doing and how many reps etc. for each one. I think I have the bicep one down so that's a start.

I feel better asking you guys here than trawling through the internet for info, so any advice would be great!

I'm sure Juan will be around when he can find time. He's busy training the hell out of people at the moment... lucky/poor sods.

Just realised, my return to deadlifts was better than I thought. I'd not added the 10kg bar into the equation. So was an 130kg lift.