Weight Training Thread | Page 236 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

Was lower 11 stones, now 9 stone 6 , lost in about 10 weeks. Not good, having tests but so far it just looks like its just the shoulder causing it as apparently lack of sleep hurts your metabolism.

As Arnie says - I'll be back !!!

good grief. Mate, I've had major pain and loss of sleep over the years with all ribs bust, brain disease/op etc etc etc.

Never have I lost weight like that. Keep pushing for tests until you are satisfied. Our bodies do all react differently but in 10 weeks that's a fuck of a lot of a reaction from the metabolism.

I've not slept properly for over twenty years, long story. I've not lost weight like that either. Ask questions demand answers mate.

SKEGGY - 10/10/2016 14:59

Lumber spine area and no due to knees etc

Without having you in front of me so I could assess the damage and range of motion I would have to err on the side of caution, so no, I wouldn't risk it

I'm sure we'll bump into each other at some stage :17:

CDX_EIRE - 12/10/2016 04:23

I had a pre-workout and food before hand so it wasnt lack of energy.

What food and which pre workout? Some things can lead to an energy crash, especially pre workout supplements!

How long does your gym session last?

I did:

3x10 Lunges
3x10 goblet squat with 20lbs dumb bell
1x4 horizontal leg press - 150lbs
3x8 horizontal leg press - 130lbs
3x8 single leg squat
2x6 dumbell RDLs

My legs were trembling like crazy; I felt fairly in control but I wasnt really keeping form if that makes sense? I could keep doing stuff but my form wasnt ideal and rather than keep pushing myself I bottled it and went home.

3 sets of lunges followed by 3 sets of goblet squats at 20lbs is not a sufficient warm up to jump straight to a set of max heavies :22: which is what buggered you up

Try this instead

At least 10 mins on any of cycle/rower/treadmill/elliptical/crosstrainer

3x15 Lunges strict and slow, 15 with the left followed immediately by 15 with the right and repeat cycle, no rest till all sets done

For the following exercises
30 seconds between sets, 1 min between exercises
3x15 goblet squat with 20lbs dumb bell strict and slow
3x15 horizontal leg press at 80lbs strict and slow, 2 second count in each direction, feet shoulder width apart and straight, do not allow the knees to splay out
Now increase the weight by 20lbs and repeat, keep adding 20 till you fail to reach 15 on your last set of three

This weight is now what you will use to guide the next workout, for example if you failed on 140lbs, next session after the first three stages, you would come down 40lbs to 100lbs do your three sets add 20lbs do the three sets and repeat, keep going up in weight till you fail and repeat

End of session, you should now be drinking 23 to 25g's of protein powder, see Fear for link to bulkpowders, products extensively tested over a few years in my gym, no complaints, if you want to advance more quickly I recommend creapure creatine again available through bulkpowders

Keeping it to higher reps will strengthen the area without overloading and causing more damage, after 6 weeks drop it to 3 sets of 12 and repeat the above instructions

At no time should this occur "I wasnt really keeping form if that makes sense? I could keep doing stuff but my form wasnt ideal" form is everything! It makes the movements safe, it prevents injury!

Also how do you feel about the Jym Stoppani stuff (or do you use it); brother swears by it and I trust his judgement.

I don't use it, as professionals we tend to follow the path of our own experience, my methods and techniques have grown from my experiences, from other professionals I have worked with over the years, from bits I've picked up here and there, from seeing the results of my teaching in the real world and seeing the results when I tweak this and that, then we have that one way of training does not suit all, people respond to the various exercise stimuli in different ways, there is no "one size fits all"

From the small amount I have read he seems okay! I would have to look deeper into his methodology to give a definitive opinion, I intend to spend some time researching his methods in the not too distant future

Cheers Juan.

Might take some time to get back to those points above.

Got me on all sorts of tablets here for stomach issues. Brother thinks that also may have factored it since the oul core does a lot of work.

I like doing the farmers walk if I feel I've got a bit of juice left after a leg session... at the gym I add in some stepping over boxes whilst holding the weights as well to further end the session in torture!

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/7-ways-to-do-the-farmers-walk

On Friday I did deadlifts. All was well until I started struggling on my right side I could manage the lift ok but it just felt heavier and harder to grip. Anyway I persevered and finished the session as I was racking the weights, which all responsible and considerate gym users do obviously, I noticed I'd put a 25kg plate on instead of a 10kg on the right side. :13: :16: :10:

I hasten to add I had more than one plate on.

lol, very good Skeggy!

Last time when I went for my record deadlift I stacked the weights wrong, was far too heavy, tried and then was too buggered to strip it down to what would have been the record attempt so had to go lighter!

Chest day today went back to dumbbells after a six week period of barbells. I particularly enjoyed the alternate arm presses hit the spot nicely.

Still no training for me. Getting tiresome now. Been a really stop start year with having to rest elbows earlier in the year then the op.

Looking forward to getting back in and making up for lost time in a week or two. I'm planning a busy winter of training. It'll all click back into place I'm sure.!

Juan Mourep - 18/10/2016 04:01What food and which pre workout? Some things can lead to an energy crash, especially pre workout supplements! How long does your gym session last?

3 sets of lunges followed by 3 sets of goblet squats at 20lbs is not a sufficient warm up to jump straight to a set of max heavies :22: which is what buggered you up
Try this instead At least 10 mins on any of cycle/rower/treadmill/elliptical/crosstrainer

3x15 Lunges strict and slow, 15 with the left followed immediately by 15 with the right and repeat cycle, no rest till all sets done
For the following exercises 30 seconds between sets, 1 min between exercises
3x15 goblet squat with 20lbs dumb bell strict and slow
3x15 horizontal leg press at 80lbs strict and slow, 2 second count in each direction, feet shoulder width apart and straight, do not allow the knees to splay out Now increase the weight by 20lbs and repeat, keep adding 20 till you fail to reach 15 on your last set of three

This weight is now what you will use to guide the next workout, for example if you failed on 140lbs, next session after the first three stages, you would come down 40lbs to 100lbs do your three sets add 20lbs do the three sets and repeat, keep going up in weight till you fail and repeat
End of session, you should now be drinking 23 to 25g's of protein powder, see Fear for link to bulkpowders, products extensively tested over a few years in my gym, no complaints, if you want to advance more quickly I recommend creapure creatine again available through bulkpowders Keeping it to higher reps will strengthen the area without overloading and causing more damage, after 6 weeks drop it to 3 sets of 12 and repeat the above instructions At no time should this occur "I wasnt really keeping form if that makes sense? I could keep doing stuff but my form wasnt ideal" form is everything! It makes the movements safe, it prevents injury!
I don't use it, as professionals we tend to follow the path of our own experience, my methods and techniques have grown from my experiences, from other professionals I have worked with over the years, from bits I've picked up here and there, from seeing the results of my teaching in the real world and seeing the results when I tweak this and that, then we have that one way of training does not suit all, people respond to the various exercise stimuli in different ways, there is no "one size fits all" From the small amount I have read he seems okay! I would have to look deeper into his methodology to give a definitive opinion, I intend to spend some time researching his methods in the not too distant future

I dont know what the story is with this new quotation stuff.

Anyway yeah so I have something wrong with my stomach/gastric system in general so I hadnt been to the gym in like 2 weeks. Probably bad idea I went tonight really but today was the best I've felt in 10 days and the gym hasnt had any adverse affects so hopefully I can go without too much issue.

So I followed what you recommended to the letter of the law except the lunges just realised I didnt follow it 100%. To be very honest I am unsure if I could have anyway I did 15 with the left and 15 with the right AND then I had 30 secs break and went back at it. To be honest I doubt I actually could do 15L/15R/15L/15R etc. in a row considering even with the break it was tough enough.

I think part of why I struggled last time was because of my gastro problems and pushing myself far too hard i.e. I wasnt strict on the 30 secs and 1 min between sets and exercises plus the lack of warm up probably created a perfect storm for failure.

To summarise Juan despite the issue I am carrying I felt I had a very productive session with your suggestions but the lunges is still something for me to look at. I'm a bit of a match stick I think its probably a stamina issue? I weigh 152-158lbs depending on the time of day and I am probably less than that recently with my loss of appetite (trying ridiculously hard to force food in) and I am 6'4 so as you can imagine I havent a pick of fat on me.

In terms of the leg press I started at 70lbs and went all the way through to 130 (70, 90, 110 and 130) probably should have started at 90 in hindsight. I feel maybe if I pushed myself I could have pushed out 6-8 on 150lbs but maybe it would have been too much.

I have pre/post and protein from Stoppani to get through so I'll wait until I am nearly through that before I make a decision on trying something new. I have been keeping a log so I'll know if I am getting results with that and my work outs but in general its been too infrequent lately so once I am sorted I'll be regular again. I am a QS by trade so I liked Jyms stuff because he seemed to have science and backup where as other stuff didnt seem as transparent but having said that I believe NutraBio is more transparent. Regardless I'll look at Fears stuff and see what the craic is.

Thanks for the help.

No problem, if you ever feel the need to put a rest period in a nasty little lunge session like that it's absolutely fine to do so, or for any other workout

You can only do what your body will allow you to, the main rule is that form is everything, be strict, be controlled, be smooth in movement, get the results

Due to your height/weight I would be taking protein/weightgain within 45 mins of finishing training, I would also have the same a hour before bed, many swear by casein for the night due to it's slow absorption, a hearty breakfast is also a must

I've really had a hard week training this last one. I've taken a full week off to allow the body to 'heal' & by bugger it's been the hardest week in my training programme. Not just the inactivity but the thoughts that I'll never go back lol. Roll on Monday so I can get back to it.

He can't answer Juan, he can't move his arms! :3:

I'm still frustratingly out. Bad brain ache weekend but chest/abs scar area isn't ready yet anyway.

I know you've been out or steady also with a stop start year. Bit of a bastard innit!!??

I can understand your frustrations.

I have been not training for two months now due to a toe operation! Last week was great though, I did some serious navvying in garden at home in Scotland.

Kills me when not in the gym, it's what I centre my day around usually. I know there are a few here who do the same!

Just got to look forward to a great winter of training !

"I know you've been out or steady also with a stop start year. Bit of a bastard innit!!??"

"adversity introduces a man to himself"
Einstein

It's been one of those years, should be back to it a week on Monday, can't wait, been off wayyyyy too long, another month or two to ease back up to failure training and we're off! :128: :4: :4: :4:

Hopefully no more kicks for a while :22: