Watford v Aston Villa Official Match Thread - Sat 14th - 3pm | Page 31 | Vital Football

Watford v Aston Villa Official Match Thread - Sat 14th - 3pm

Like others have said when you start a 36 year old (should be bit part cover player) and ghazi who in my opinion is not a premier League standard player..... What do you expect?
Terrible from Smith.
Just awaiting the media to go into frenzy about us only being in Prem due to grealish.

A few days ago I predicted we would finish 6th..what I meant to say was 16th...cough! Watched 3 quarters of the game today. Pretty dreadful I thought. Bullied off the ball, passing average at best and looked unfit. Thought McGinn was our best player..although I didn't see the introduction of Leon so can't comment on him. Bit of a deflated feeling to be honest.

We started the first half just like what we are...a team badly prepared up against a poor team who were so thank goodness we didn't play a good team.

Wrong team selection, players not looking like they knew what tactics and formation they were supposed to be playing so the finger points firmly at the manager and his coaching staff.

I've got a feeling our owners won't be so forgiving this season?

Last edited:
My view is different. I would always play my best team from the start and get ahead in the game rather than chase it. It's easier to defend a lead than it is to chase a game.
In all honesty it looks fairly obvious that half the squad isn't fit for the season yet. Mings, Martinez, Targett, Buendia, Traore, Bailey, Ings have all had disrupted pre seasons due to injury, international duty or late transfers. Add in a poor pre-season fixture wise it probably hasn't been ideal for any of the others in the squad either. Throwing other unfit players into the equation today probably wouldn't have made much difference.

I'm more disappointed Philogene Bidace didn't start (or play at all) than Bailey or Traore - he's been our best player in pre-season, he would have been bang up for it today and crucially he's actually fit to play.

Like others have said when you start a 36 year old (should be bit part cover player) and ghazi who in my opinion is not a premier League standard player..... What do you expect?
Terrible from Smith.
Just awaiting the media to go into frenzy about us only being in Prem due to grealish.
I turned off the FlashScore commentary after the 20th mention of Jack in the first 15 minutes.

Massively undercooked and clearly not ready.

Say what you like but all the charade at the training camp and the will he, won’t he rubbish should have been sorted or kept away from the squad. We have £100m on top of the sky money for the season. We need to seriously buy competition for the CB as bringing in Tuanzebe is not a step up. A dominant physical presence in midfield is needed.

I’m not sure what Smith was thinking today with Buendias role. I don’t think he knew what he was supposed to be doing.

Ings clearly isn’t Ollie and doesn’t bring that workrate and lead the line in the same way.

Terrible from Smith.
To be fair this 36 year old looked vastly superior to Targett at left back. I'd be starting Young there next. But I agree overall, the set up was all sorts of wrong.