Watford v Aston Villa Official Match Thread - Sat 14th - 3pm | Page 30 | Vital Football

Watford v Aston Villa Official Match Thread - Sat 14th - 3pm

3-2. Early days, we're definitely rusty but we will get better. Fair play to Watford, who went for it and got it. They had a much longer pre-season for their players, which helped.

See the Dean Out brigade have been practising all summer. He probably took a risk playing Targett which didn't pay off, maybe Buendia as well, but overall the team selection was forced on him.

Right first things first at least we made a game of it in the second half.
If Smith has any sense he will start with one of Bailey or Traore at the very least against Newcastle.
Young looked alot more comfortable than Targett at LB so that would be my other change. If Watkins is fit get him starting as well.
In the meantime accept the first bid from Roma that comes in for AEG and get JWP and a big DM unit in ASAP. Then and only then can we even begin to think about a top half finish.

I want to stick up for smith and the selection. Yes Traore and Bailey should have started if everyone was fit, but Bailey only arrived a couple days ago and had no game time. No way should he start. Traore was a mess in his 30 minute showing in preseason. Anyone who watched it will attest to that. I'm not sure Smith had much choice....

Having said that, they were both really good when they came on, so what do I know

My view is different. I would always play my best team from the start and get ahead in the game rather than chase it. It's easier to defend a lead than it is to chase a game.

So, the mistake was starting Targett. Obviously not fit enough to start, for which there is no excuse. Bailey is class and tbh we were lucky to get him. Obvious talent, who has been seriously watched by some of the big teams for the last two seasons. Ashley Young, experienced full back cover. Not a wing back or anywhere near midfield. Glad Ings got his goal, (Fantasy League) otherwise did nothing in the game. Bert good when he came on, JJ thrown on to wrestle the game back, which is a big ask for a kid.

Too early to panic, that is unless I see Targett's name lined up against St Maxima.

This blows away any line of thought suggesting our squad is fine. We need another midfielder at least I'd say. Thankfully Bailey will be ready to start next week. Possibly go for him and Buendia flanking Ings with Mcginn, Marvelous hopefully a new signing.

Crap start and I'm sure there'll be the usual call for the managers head like after every lost game but we've players coming back from injury, some who haven't even had a pre season and hopefully some new faces as well.

UTV

No glossing over it. Awful and too little too late. Playing Young as a winger when we had Traore and Bailey on the bench was ridiculous. And as for THAT midfield we were taken to the cleaners by a promoted team who ran us ragged. Yes early doors but we absolutely need a holding midfielder. Duggie would have fared little better today against Watfords power in the middle of the park. Window is still open Dean. Make a move.

A one goal loss is more respectable than a potential thrashing which was on the cards, perhaps deservingly so, after our shambolic first 70 minutes no show.

A wake up call to the players and coaches that we are we will be in a dog fight nearly every weekend - this is the nature of the premier league. Not being prepared and not turning up for three quarters of the game is just not going to pass at this level. I'll give Deano some benefit of the doubt, some of the pre-season issues were outside his control with late signings, injuries, coaching departures etc. However it was clear some players just didn't look ready for the start of the season today. I always felt that this one would be damage limitation so can't pretend to be shocked when that's how it turned out, although I am disappointed.

Next two games are key now. After that we've got a nasty run so if we cock those two up we could be in a mess for a while.

On the positives - Bailey looked like a real player in his glimpses today. Can't wait to see him properly. Ings scoring his first goal too even though it was a pen it's important to get those things done as dusted as early as possible.

Traore looked even more off the pace than Targett in the last friendly. Bailey hasn't even shaken anyone's hand yet. He's also got some red flags about tracking back, which is going to be pretty important with that Sarr playing. Maybe we will see him in the second half? Would mind seeing Buendia moved to the right. Is Jacob Ramsey on the bench to go central?

An yet Traore and Bailey shown a different class on the pitch,

I want to stick up for smith and the selection. Yes Traore and Bailey should start if everyone is fit, but Bailey only arrived a couple days ago and had no game time. No way he'd start. Traore was a mess in his 30 minute showing in preseason. Anyone who watched it will attest to that. I'm not sure Smith had much choice....

Having said that, they were both really good when they came on, so what do I know

Thing is if they are fit enough to come on as subs than they are fit enough to start. With these two we could have won the game in the first half than subbed them in the second. Poor choices cost us today.

So, the mistake was starting Targett. Obviously not fit enough to start, for which there is no excuse. Bailey is class and tbh we were lucky to get him. Obvious talent, who has been seriously watched by some of the big teams for the last two seasons. Ashley Young, experienced full back cover. Not a wing back or anywhere near midfield. Glad Ings got his goal, (Fantasy League) otherwise did nothing in the game. Bert good when he came on, JJ thrown on to wrestle the game back, which is a big ask for a kid.

Too early to panic, that is unless I see Targett's name lined up against St Maxima.

Ings needs it on a plate - but will score a lot more of the chances Watkins is presented with, whereas Watkins will work hard when we don't have the ball.

Young has to start at LB next game - 2nd half he kept sarr at bay.

Bailey is class. Was for all to see. He will seriously fill that void left by JG.

Emi, difficult to say. I wont write him off, but i think nhe started in an unfamiliar role, wasnt in the game, and then lacked confidence.

We'll be fine.

I want to stick up for smith and the selection. Yes Traore and Bailey should start if everyone is fit, but Bailey only arrived a couple days ago and had no game time. No way he'd start. Traore was a mess in his 30 minute showing in preseason. Anyone who watched it will attest to that. I'm not sure Smith had much choice....

Claims wouldn't be different if he'd have selected a different side.

That scoreline flattered us. We were better towards the end but they deserved all three points. Our midfield and especially the attacking 3 were rubbish. Buendia doesn't look like a PL player on that performance.

He had about as many touches of the ball as Ings did, nobody could look good with how DS set us up.

Not happy.

First half was shambolic and they have no excuses for that, poor pre-season or not.

Second half, better, but still c- not good enough, must do better.

I do like the positives Dumble put forward. These things happen, not happy it happened, but woe betide us if we play like that again.

Next two games crucial.

Buendia, play him in the right position please.

Bailey looked very good, that gives hopes.

Ings. GET HIM SUPPLY. The guy scores, but he can't score if we keep the ball away from him.

All in all, should have been a first day win, no real excuse for a loss, it is what it is.

Not happy.

First half was shambolic and they have no excuses for that, poor pre-season or not.

Second half, better, but still c- not good enough, must do better.

I do like the positives Dumble put forward. These things happen, not happy it happened, but woe betide us if we play like that again.

Next two games crucial.

Buendia, play him in the right position please.

Bailey looked very good, that gives hopes.

Ings. GET HIM SUPPLY. The guy scores, but he can't score if we keep the ball away from him.

All in all, should have been a first day win, no real excuse for a loss, it is what it is.

I would be positive after that 2nd half performance but then I remember we have a manager in charge that just makes silly amateur mistakes and never seems to learn.