WARRIORS to the rescue | Page 3 | Vital Football

WARRIORS to the rescue

That's a bit over dramatic - the Maurice Lindsay debacle was literally in the late 80's / early 90's, we are talking 30-40 years ago - he hasn't been involved in the Rugby club since about 2008, 12 years ago. How relevent is any of that to today?

If you start a new job is it fair you get blamed for things your predessesor did before you were hired?

If a parent committed a crime should the children be punished for things they had no involvement in?

Do we still hate the German people for the actions of their country before they were even born?

Were Warriors 'living on their knees' when Whelan saved them and owned them before turning them over to the current ownership? If they had the attitude you are they wouldn't be here now, do you think any of them fans look back to the mid 90's and care about Whelan buying them when they have won any of their trophies over the years?

If you spend money on Latics you support Latics as there is very little money to be made in football outside the Prem. You stance isn't just cutting off your nose to spite your face you are cutting off the clubs nose too.

Excellent post King

If you start a new job is it fair you get blamed for things your predessesor did before you were hired?

If a parent committed a crime should the children be punished for things they had no involvement in?

Do we still hate the German people for the actions of their country before they were born

Agree with all those sentiments however they all ring a little hollow at a time when people are being blamed for the "percieved" sins of their forefathers on a daily basis and being actively supported in that endeavour by professional sport - just saying 🤔

Maybe the Maurice memorial statue on Tesco car park should be thrown in the duggie as "closure and apology" and when rugby restarts Wigan rugby should take a knee to reflect this ?

Agree with all those sentiments however they all ring a little hollow at a time when people are being blamed for the "percieved" sins of their forefathers on a daily basis and being actively supported in that endeavour by professional sport - just saying 🤔

Maybe the Maurice memorial statue on Tesco car park should be thrown in the duggie as "closure and apology" and when rugby restarts Wigan rugby should take a knee to reflect this ?

First para - wrong thread .......which is why I'll refrain from responding

Second para - :LOL:

That's the point if it's wrong when others do it to us, then it's wrong when we do it to them.

I'm all for blaming those who are responsible for their sins i I'm not suggesting anyone to forgive Lindsey, I'm suggesting we put the blame for what he did at his door where it belongs and not on anyone else.

I'm all for blaming those who are responsible for their sins i I'm not suggesting anyone to forgive Lindsey, I'm suggesting we put the blame for what he did at his door where it belongs and not on anyone else.
With you completely on this point - as for the dodgy bookmaker - forgive ? would like too but it's difficult ! Forget ? not while I'm still breathing 😉

With you completely on this point - as for the dodgy bookmaker - forgive ? would like too but it's difficult ! Forget ? not while I'm still breathing 😉

You don't need to forgive or forget, we just as a fanbase need to avoid conflating the good people who are assosiated with the Rugby now who want to save us with the terrible people who were associsated with the Rugby in the past who did want to hurt us.

Warriors fans have their say on wigan today
Some good respones but as usual a few sly digs like the stadium will be theirs due to lanegan
Pipe dream latics wanting return to prem league championship more like it
Cost warriors more running the latics feck off its a consortium fuckwits
Cherry seats installed feck that too
Really hope someone else purchases the club

Warriors fans have their say on wigan today
Some good respones but as usual a few sly digs like the stadium will be theirs due to lanegan
Pipe dream latics wanting return to prem league championship more like it
Cost warriors more running the latics feck off its a consortium fuckwits
Cherry seats installed feck that too
Really hope someone else purchases the club

To be fair, its not as if they're saying things that plenty of Latics fans weren't saying when Whelan owned us both & then flogged off the rugby

Here's a comprehensive pros and cons list of Lenagan's crew taking charge.

Pros

We still have a football club to support, it doesn't get more important than that.

Local ownership who will not leave us to rot like the previous incumbents.

Sensible running of the club, IFL and Eales are both vastly experienced football campaigners.

Cons

They have very little money between them. Whose to say we won't wind up in a similar situation in a year or two should they be unable to source outside investment?

We will lose ownership of our stadium, which will make us FAR less attractive a proposition for any prospective new owner who wishes to take over down the line.

IFL is 74 years old. How much does he really have left in the tank?

Wigan Warriors will never let us hear the end of it, that they "saved our club" and without them we are nothing.

In conclusion, if they were the only option on the table, of course I would accept them with open arms. However, should any other party make a bid, I would also like to hear more about them. IFL's lot need to find some cash before we can even contemplate them taking charge.

Why would we "lose ownership" of the stadium C_Latic?
It will come under the ownership of “Wigan Sporting Group” that consequently own both Latics and Warriors. They’ll be no more rent money paid from Warriors and no longer will they be playing summer rugby away from the DW. They will have equal rights to the ground as Latics.

This is probably one of the main motivations for IFL’s interest. He’s not a stupid man, he knows how beneficial it would be for his currents sports club to finally gain a firm grip on their own ground. It would also guarantee their long term future at the ground for good.

It will come under the ownership of “Wigan Sporting Group” that consequently own both Latics and Warriors. They’ll be no more rent money paid from Warriors and no longer will they be playing summer rugby away from the DW. They will have equal rights to the ground as Latics.

This is probably one of the main motivations for IFL’s interest. He’s not a stupid man, he knows how beneficial it would be for his currents sports club to finally gain a firm grip on their own ground. It would also guarantee their long term future at the ground for good.

I agree there's the potential for stopping the rental agreement (though it's not certain they'd do that), but I'm not sure they can affect our fixtures. There's a requirement that when sharing a ground, the football club must have total control

Rule 13.4.1 here ....

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-4---clubs/

Cons

We will lose ownership of our stadium, which will make us FAR less attractive a proposition for any prospective new owner who wishes to take over down the line.

Wigan Athletic Football Club don't own the stadium now. A company who have controlling interest in the stadium own all the Wigan Athletic FC shares & that (for all Whelan's talk of giving the stadium over to the football club) is how been for yonks.
Whilst the administrators have said they want to sell the whole package, there's nothing stopping someone coming in & just buying the stadium & not the football club which Lenagan, Wigan RL & co all know and could easily do whilst it would mean they wouldn't win any popularity contests

Buying the holding company that own Latics just so that they can play games in June or July (I forget which it is that they can't at the moment) & not move games where there's a bit of a clash is a very expensive way of going about it when they could control the stadium for far less money

It's a very selfish world when an old vendetta trumps 75 people who have lost their jobs. Are we saying that noone can ever right a wrong? One man assossiated with a certain organisation is rightfully lambasted...why does that mean someone else could not repair that rift? Nowt worse than allowing yourself to be held back and angered by a refusal to move on. From what we hear there are many interested parties, but I wouldn't want to chase away any potential to have a steady ship again

It's a very selfish world when an old vendetta trumps 75 people who have lost their jobs. Are we saying that noone can ever right a wrong? One man assossiated with a certain organisation is rightfully lambasted...why does that mean someone else could not repair that rift? Nowt worse than allowing yourself to be held back and angered by a refusal to move on. From what we hear there are many interested parties, but I wouldn't want to chase away any potential to have a steady ship again

Lots of stubborn old men in Wigan.
The shape we're in they need to move on.

Whelan was certainly on the board at Wigan Rugby, but was he ever the ‘owner’ or Chairman at least before JJB stadium came into being ?
I recall going to Wigan cricket club to listen Whelan address a largely Wigan rugby audience who were up in arms at the prospect of Jack Robinson’s board to sell Central Park to Tesco.
Whelan’s plan was to launch a coup aimed at redeveloping Central Park into a 20,000 all seater stadium for both Rugby and Latics (which didn’t find favour amongst some Tics of my acquaintance I can tell you ).
Eventually his plan didn’t fly with the Rugby board so he pressed ahead with his plan for a Latics stadium at Robin Park .....At that point did he own both ??
I can’t remember but presumably he didn't at the point the JJB stadium was committed to ....as otherwise we’d have been playing at a revamped Central Park for the past 20 years ?

Seems a fair bit flying around that Marwan Koukash is one of the very interested parties. Would certainly blow Lenigans bid out of the water. If he was frustrated with Salford’s crowds he may experience similar with us so a tad surprising in that respect. Certainly got the cash and reasonably local.