US Politics Thread | Page 635 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

The idea of being 'tactile' with people in the workplace is completely alien to me and must be a generational thing. I can't see how it ever would be acceptable to intervene in any individuals' personal space but again, times must have been very different.

Obviously with Cuomo this behaviour extends far more than touching a woman's back.

I worked in an office for 25 years, and in every case the women there became good friends. I would very often give one of them a hug, or put my arm around them. It was all completely natural.

These days, I'd probably be arrested.

I don't think playing golf helps. There is a lot of hugging and kissing on the cheek when playing mixed matches.

I always watch half hour of CNN at night and they are all over it. Eleven women in total and although the extent with most of them is unknown from what they were saying that one of the women said that he claimed he was looking at her necklace when in fact he was looking down her blouse at her breasts and it made her feel very uncomfortable. Is that really sexual harassment.

I worked in an office for 25 years, and in every case the women there became good friends. I would very often give one of them a hug, or put my arm around them. It was all completely natural.

These days, I'd probably be arrested.

I don't think playing golf helps. There is a lot of hugging and kissing on the cheek when playing mixed matches.

I work for a pan-European company (as much as I hate that phrase), the Italians and the Irish are all very huggy huggy, kissy kissy.

I guess there’s Ted Baker forced hugs and kisses, and just culture. British culture isn’t so intimate luckily in the workplace so it’s keep your distance unless the gorgeous receptionist invites you into the stationery cupboard to help her to look for some post-it notes…

I always watch half hour of CNN at night and they are all over it. Eleven women in total and although the extent with most of them is unknown from what they were saying that one of the women said that he claimed he was looking at her necklace when in fact he was looking down her blouse at her breasts and it made her feel very uncomfortable. Is that really sexual harassment.
I wonder how Fredo Cuomo is feeling right now, isn't he on vacation?

Anything that makes someone uncomfortable is punishable these days I think. If it was 1 person maybe 2 you could say misunderstanding but with 13 it goes down to a pattern of behavior. That instance you mentioned might simply be a false interpretation on her part but how do you explain the rest.

Thats kind of how these things go.

Anything that makes someone uncomfortable is punishable these days I think. If it was 1 person maybe 2 you could say misunderstanding but with 13 it goes down to a pattern of behavior. That instance you mentioned might simply be a false interpretation on her part but how do you explain the rest.

I agree on one, two maybe even three might be questionable but thirteen no. We dont know how many others there are that have not come forward. The list could grow.

I know what you mean. There is definitely a lot of smoke here. Still, he looked at my tits is hardly sexual harassment. Maybe it's one of those things where you have to be there?

In this day and age it is I think, its not just comments anymore its actions too. And this would be considered an action. These things can be so subjective and thats such a huge issue. Thats where it goes back to "is it a pattern" or can you give someone the benefit of the doubt.

What sometimes seems to happen is 5 times something will happen with all different women and they give the benefit of the doubt. Then he goes and does something which would definitely be sexual harassment. Then those 5 instances get recalled by the women and even though they were willing to let it go at the time. Now in hindsight, they feel violated and it becomes a bigger thing.

The nail in Cuomos coffin is that years ago his opponents warned of him bullying and steamrolling people. There were comments that he acted like a King and consolidated his political power and made himself untouchable. I didnt know any of this until last week, old comments and videos emerged about it.

It's the fine line between takes a look/obviously stares/grabs.

Only becomes an issue the more you go up the scale and the further you go up the scale the more innocent looks become part of the pattern, a set behaviour and so on. Understandably even those who maybe took it as a compliment at the point, then begin to wonder what if when harsher tales come out.

Easy to say I'm glad I'm not in those realms now with how things have changed, but just as equally, how dumb given things have changed do you have to be to carry on like it's the 90's still?

Easy to say I'm glad I'm not in those realms now with how things have changed, but just as equally, how dumb given things have changed do you have to be to carry on like it's the 90's still?

Probably goes back to whether he thinks he's above it or not. I think that probably separates whether he is a predator or just an old idiot who couldnt/wouldnt change.

Where this is the worst is construction, you still have older men saying stuff to young women. My boss told me of an incident in NY where a 60 year old director was calling a young architect sweetheart and putting down almost anything she had to say. And my boss is an Irishman from the country so he's not exactly "woke" but even he was like "jesus christ you can't say and do that stuff".

The worst of it is there are women out there, usually older who will let this happen to younger women too and may even take part in it. Thats the worst aspect of it all.

Yup, definitely generational in many ways and it's also a learnt behaviour in some senses. The worry is when innocent behaviour gets wrapped up (on all sides) because of the other stories out there.

They are now planning on sending troops back into Afghanistan to fight the Taliban.

It makes my crazy thought experiment almost seem logical.

Hopefully just a temporary thing, I think Biden's decision to get the fuck out of there is fundamentally correct.