Transfers - Summer 2024 | Page 13 | Vital Football

Transfers - Summer 2024

It goes against the grain of our recent transfer activity but Ross Barkley is going to be a very shrewd signing for someone this summer.

He’s still only 30 and has a number of good years still ahead of him. Playing in a deeper role this season has seen the best of him and he’s playing consistently well for Luton, week in, week out.

He has all the attributes to play as our 6 imo.

It goes against the grain of our recent transfer activity but Ross Barkley is going to be a very shrewd signing for someone this summer.

He’s still only 30 and has a number of good years still ahead of him. Playing in a deeper role this season has seen the best of him and he’s playing consistently well for Luton, week in, week out.

Funnily enough Sheri, was listening to TS last week and thought the same, the only issue actually is his age.
But he could be that Maddison replacement.

For some reason, I put this post on the Werner thread earlier. The ghost of 80 will be spitting bricks that I went off topic !!!

I'll reroute it back to where it belongs

There are a few transfer questions looming in this squad.

1) We'll probably need 5 centre halves for a fully loaded season. Even if Phillips becomes the 4th, can we depend on the rest of the squad (Emerson, Bentancur, Dorrington etc) to cover the 5th spot, or do we need to bring another one in?

2) Where do we find a credible keeper that will be comfortable fighting for the first team shirt? I'm not sure anyone would be happy if Venom was out long term. It could negatively impact the season outcome more than any other position.

3) How do we move past the Davies / Sess backup problem at LB. Emerson isn't as good as Porro but is a really dynamic footballer that we could easily utilise in the same capacity as this season. LB doesn't work the same way in my mind.

4) How do we get beyond Hojbjerg, Skipp, Gio and Gil? For different reasons, I don't believe they last the summer. Bergval is just one solution. We do need another body or two in the engine room.

5) How do we derisk losing Madds to injury or rotation and it not change our setup? It definitely did this season. Would Devine and Donley be able to join Bergval and cover that hole? If not, it might be hard to find players like Madds in the transfer market.

6) We definitely have enough bodies in the attacking third of the pitch, and they are starting to do the business. Do we stick or twist? That's assuming we can / will convert Werner? I think this one could even be down to whether we get CL or not as these players aren't cheap.

It looks like a long list, but that doesn't mean we're not in great shape already. We obviously are, but should strive for even higher quality.

I've got to disagree; Carrick's key strength and playing position was as a deep lying playmaker where his almost uncanny ability to pick a pass, and deliver it was probably one of, if not the best I've ever seen. He was a true Quarterback, who could play any pass he liked under pressure - a rare talent.

But his tackling was often less than great, he didn't score many goals, and he wasn't a true B2B player - in his heyday, in fact if anything the reason so many were marmite on him was because he could be frustratingly lazy at times, and the fans would know it. Fergie knew this and put him alongside players that compensated for these weaknesses. He had no steel and wasn't a leader.

It's a player without his weaknesses we need, even if they aren't the greatest passer.
Sounds like you are describing John Pratt !

For some reason, I put this post on the Werner thread earlier. The ghost of 80 will be spitting bricks that I went off topic !!!

I'll reroute it back to where it belongs

There are a few transfer questions looming in this squad.

1) We'll probably need 5 centre halves for a fully loaded season. Even if Phillips becomes the 4th, can we depend on the rest of the squad (Emerson, Bentancur, Dorrington etc) to cover the 5th spot, or do we need to bring another one in?

2) Where do we find a credible keeper that will be comfortable fighting for the first team shirt? I'm not sure anyone would be happy if Venom was out long term. It could negatively impact the season outcome more than any other position.

3) How do we move past the Davies / Sess backup problem at LB. Emerson isn't as good as Porro but is a really dynamic footballer that we could easily utilise in the same capacity as this season. LB doesn't work the same way in my mind.

4) How do we get beyond Hojbjerg, Skipp, Gio and Gil? For different reasons, I don't believe they last the summer. Bergval is just one solution. We do need another body or two in the engine room.

5) How do we derisk losing Madds to injury or rotation and it not change our setup? It definitely did this season. Would Devine and Donley be able to join Bergval and cover that hole? If not, it might be hard to find players like Madds in the transfer market.

6) We definitely have enough bodies in the attacking third of the pitch, and they are starting to do the business. Do we stick or twist? That's assuming we can / will convert Werner? I think this one could even be down to whether we get CL or not as these players aren't cheap.

It looks like a long list, but that doesn't mean we're not in great shape already. We obviously are, but should strive for even higher quality.
We also need to factor in a lot more midweek games. …. And hopefully a couple of cup runs .

With Udogie out , we drop a lot of options ..

Porro out changes a lot , but not as much .

We “realistically” still only have a League winning first team .
The back ups are only very slowly being put in place .
But that is the price of a re build . And we are only eight months into it .

That ship's gone and sailed, maybe 5 years ago

The shit chose Chelski when we all tought the deal was done...it backfired bigtime for him...he coud have been a key legend player for us and won many England caps...but he chose the money men instead....too late too old not worth a punt...IMO,, he can go down with Luton as far as I am concerned

Too old, he's got 2 seasons left in him at the top level.

Whilst he's been brilliant this season I feel Luton are the perfect team for him

Regarding a holding midfieler, the young Brazilian at Sheffield Utd, Vini Souza has had a strong 1st season in the PL in a struggling team.

He’s a strong defensive midfielder (who likes to get his foot in) with a bit of that Brazilian flair.

With Sheffield Utd sure to get relegated he’s one that could be an astute signing.

Regarding a holding midfieler, the young Brazilian at Sheffield Utd, Vini Souza has had a strong 1st season in the PL in a struggling team.

He’s a strong defensive midfielder (who likes to get his foot in) with a bit of that Brazilian flair.

With Sheffield Utd sure to get relegated he’s one that could be an astute signing.
There are a lot of options available in midfield but it's the back up keeper that's keeping me awake at night at the moment.If Vic were to get injured we'd find ourselves in a bit of a pickle again.

There are a lot of options available in midfield but it's the back up keeper that's keeping me awake at night at the moment.If Vic were to get injured we'd find ourselves in a bit of a pickle again.
Speaking of sides likely to be relegated, how about James Trafford at Burnley?

Would he be up for challenging Vic for a starting spot with a CL team or prefer to stay at Burnley in the Championship?

Would he be up for challenging Vic for a starting spot with a CL team or prefer to stay at Burnley in the Championship?
That's the eternal problem with goalkeeping backup, there are a few really good young english goalies around right now but they are ambitious and aren't prepared to be sat pretty much permanently on the bench. It's why so many clubs have a top senior goalie as their backup.

I'm not convinced we need to clear the decks again. We're 2-3 players short of having a really good squad. Back up keeper, midfield general & another option up top & we'll be a lot better off for it.

Not convinced Werner is our man. He has a few games in order to change my mind but tbh i've seen enough to state i'm not on board with him signing on a permanent basis. Obviously that could change & i hope it does.

I've mentioned on here a few times that I get to several burnley games a year so I'm comfortable talking about their squad.

Trafford? Big fat no. Granted he's still young so a lot can change but not for me. It's telling when the Burnley fans were happy yesterday that the championship goalkeeper of the year from the previous season, Muric, was selected to start. Muric is also young and homegrown. Great with his feet, very Ederson in style so will give you a heart attack but he is a good shot stopper. Tends to flap at crosses the odd time but so does Vicario and also this is an area where Trafford is extremely weak